Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Venzo framesets?

Hi,

I have some spare parts left over just laying around and I was thinking it might be fun to build a 29er for my 13 year old son. We could work together as a team and build it up, a little father/son project. I'd need to get him a frameset and a few things to go with it to complete the build. It would be fun for us, and then I'd have a 29er to "borrow" from time to time

I saw on Ebay a few 29er frames from Venzo. Never heard/seen them before.

Venzo Mountain Bike Bicycle MTB Alloy Frame 29er 18" | eBay

Pretty good price and not too heavy. Looks pretty cool too, at least it looks fast, ha.

They also have a carbon fiber 29er:
    Venzo Mountain Bike Bicycle MTB Full Carbon Frame 29er 19" | eBay

Anybody have experience with this brand?

I tried to search the mtbr forums but found very little.

Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    No info eh?

Must be garbage then, lol.

I guess I'll have to keep poking around on Ebay to find something decent.

mtbr member
    I know they are beeing offered here in Argentina, "RAPTOR" model, little heavy (1850 grs), as you said pretty low priced here too, might be because of the low quality, but have heard no oppinions from it.
    I would search SETTE frames... or other brand
    good luck

TR
    Angry bunny
    Generic Chinese with pretty paint and an inflated price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azille View Post
    I know they are beeing offered here in Argentina, "RAPTOR" model, little heavy (1850 grs), as you said pretty low priced here too, might be because of the low quality, but have heard no oppinions from it.
    I would search SETTE frames... or other brand
    good luck
    I saw those too, very attractive price but I don't know of the brand's quality. Free shipping and under 115 duckies, Raptor link below...
    Venzo Mountain Bike Bicycle MTB Alloy Frame 29er 18inch | eBay
    ...tires sing, mud flies, dust settles, faces smile...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gipsyviking View Post
    I saw those too, very attractive price but I don't know of the brand's quality. Free shipping and under 115 duckies, Raptor link below...
    Venzo Mountain Bike Bicycle MTB Alloy Frame 29er 18inch | eBay
    I bought one of these Venzo Mountain Bike Bicycle MTB Alloy Frame 16inch to make up a bike for my wife. Mine is labeled as made in Taiwan, not China. So far I have no complaints, but you do need to face the bottom bracket and face and ream the headtube.

mtbr member
    Same here.
    not a bad frame (the 26" was $80) but the headset (included) dit not fit right away in the frame.
    In case you did not notice, they are shipped out of Australia. If you're in the US or Europe, you're looking at $100 shipment.
    You can surely find something cheaper directly out of China.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Any more feedback on these? Want to build up a bike for my daughter with spare wheels parts fork that I already have. $164 shipped is a good price for a sub 4 lb frame but was hoping for some real world feedback. Want to keep the price in check since im not sure how kuch it will b ridden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Considering a 29er "SCUD" model as a frame swap for my DB Overdrive, due to better utility, and meeting some of my preferences (longer chainstays, disc brake inside triangle). LBS was concerned about interchangeability of BB, but liked other things about it.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    If this is an inflated price, then where can I find the cheap ones?? $164 Scud shipped to your door on ebay is the best deal I can find on a frame in this weight range. Their cheaper one is $120 shipped.

Post up if you know of a better deal on a 29er frame so I can check it out!
    Last edited by NCtrailX; 04-30-2013 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I eventually determined that the SCUD isn't for me due to the small BB drop. To each his own.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Good point - I'll look closer at the geometry info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

venzo scud 29ers size 18. medium

Venzo framesets?-20130801_170126convert.jpg
    just sharing about venzo scud 29ers..
    got my venzo scud got it almost a year, and theres no problem, equipe with xt 2013

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Looked at their geometry again - the chart says they all have the same top tube length of 607.5mm. http://www.venzobike.com/v1/images/s...E_-_SCUD-S.jpg

Seems like they're missing much of the point of different sized frames. Also, such a small BB drop suggests to me that they just stretched a 26er frame into a 29, and didn't actually think the whole thing through.

They do list a new 650B frame called the Vero. Interestingly, I had thought that the SCUD frame might be better suited as a 650B with the low BB drop, if you can stand the 450mm chainstay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I have one Scud 29er. Runs great and the geometry is really good. Btw, almost 100% of all frames are built in Taiwán, including frames in the $3 o $4 k range.

I would recomend it without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    Looked at their geometry again - the chart says they all have the same top tube length of 607.5mm. http://www.venzobike.com/v1/images/s...E_-_SCUD-S.jpg

Seems like they're missing much of the point of different sized frames. Also, such a small BB drop suggests to me that they just stretched a 26er frame into a 29, and didn't actually think the whole thing through.

They do list a new 650B frame called the Vero. Interestingly, I had thought that the SCUD frame might be better suited as a 650B with the low BB drop, if you can stand the 450mm chainstay.
    thats why
    some other parts maker makes stem that have 100mm 0r up and seatpost they have a set back..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I see conflicting info for top tubes. One is the 607.5 that I wrote earlier, the other 570mm, each for all models. Could anyone who has one take a measurement of what it really is, or anyone with more legit info weigh in? My #1 concern is that I'm not sure what information out there is correct.

mtbr member
    I just took delivery of an 18" Scud frame that I building up for a friend. I build lots of bikes and I'm an avid mountain biker. I have noticed that people very often believe that more recognizable companies imbue some magical behavioral or longevity qualities into their frames and parts. This is lore not law. The fact is, for standard aluminum hardtail frames the most that any one company can add to a frame is some interesting design elements and a decal. The Scud frame is a fabulous frame, the welds are impressively tidy and the weight is respectably light and the tubes are nicely hydrofromed. I pulled out my micrometer and checked all the salient dimensions and it is well within the specs of any frame I have owned. What you don't get with a frame of this type is a reliable interface to a company if something goes wrong, but it is worth remembering that you could buy three or four of these before you'd even be out of pocket compared to a Niner or a Specialized etc.
    I dislike the belief that cheap is bad. Too many bikers think that money is correlated with quality. In my opinion there is little correlation. There are many many examples of cheap frames and parts that way way out perform the expensive ones. Just look up Reynolds carbon wheelsets, or M520 pedals or Deore hydraulic brakes - all of these parts behave contrary the price paid. My advice is you can't go wrong.
    No conventional wisdom, just current wisdom. Reinvented knowledge that is seldom relevant as the variable landscape is vast.

mtbr member
    And here is the final build - Now that I am done putting it together, I'm more impressed than I was. $165 for this frame shipped is a steal.

Venzo framesets?-img_3567.jpg
    No conventional wisdom, just current wisdom. Reinvented knowledge that is seldom relevant as the variable landscape is vast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    That looks great! Is there any chance you would be able to take some frame measurements and comment on whether the geometry matches their website, and an amazon listing with a chart that conflicts with their website?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BATRG3 View Post
    That looks great! Is there any chance you would be able to take some frame measurements and comment on whether the geometry matches their website, and an amazon listing with a chart that conflicts with their website?
    You bet, here are my measurements on the 18" frame - they match quite well. If it is true that the effective top tube length does not change with frame size - I must admit that that is an oddity - though that is the only measurement that deviated from advertized so it might simply be a cut and paste error. I notice lots of silly errors and weirdness in instructions and specs that come directly from Asian manufacturers. However, since most of us will ride the 18" frame (which is apparently the smallest size) it may not be an issue for most. I built this bike for a rider that is 5'11" with a 32-33" inseam - should be a great fit.

Measurement, -Advertized, -Actual
    Top tube, -570 mm, - 590mm (center to center)
    Actual Frame Meas, - 457mm, - 457mm (crank to top of seat tube)
    Head Tube, - 120mm, - 120 mm
    Rear center, - 450mm, - 450mm (chain stay)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    cracker69, I really have to compliment you on your great posts! nice work! good info and facts.

I just found this thread today when googling venzo frames, just out of curiosity, after yesterday ordering a 26 frame, 18" with similar measurements to your 29 build (I'm exact measurements as your guy!)

those venzo frames are cheap as chips here in oz too and I ,like others, am building up a bike to utilise nice parts that are sitting down the back of the garage, esp. a pretty mavic rim-brake only wheelset.

I might post again when it's built, even though it's not 29er, it can add more factual info to the venzo discussion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    doh! got my frame, but mine also has a headset problem. the headtube has not been reamed deep enough and no-one in my city has a 44mm reamer. oh well, $100 frame, thems the breaks.

mtbr member
    Hi Dazzler - Thanks for the compliment, I wrote a long reply a couple of days ago that somehow never got posted. It was tad preachy with regard to price and perception anyway so probably for the best.

Anyway, about your headtube. I am most curious to know what the problem is precisely. I set up the bike above with a tapered steerer fork and so had to use an external bearing adapter as the bottom of the headset. So Venzo branded semi-integrated on top and Cane creek 40 series 44 mm external bearing on the bottom. Both seated into the headtube fine (with a little dicking about in terms of mounting square). Is the shelf cut for your headset simply too shallow ? It might be as simple as a different headset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    yep, it's cut shallow, wayyy shallow. only about 5-6mm. the supplied headset had an insert section that was about 8mm. which seems to be similar to others I've looked at online. really the cut should be at least 10mm deep ay? I live in a city of 2 million people with heaps of cyclists but no-one has a 44 (43.95)mm reamer. sigh.

anyway I've emailed the supplier (in another state here in oz) but didn't get a reply today. will be interesting to see if I do.

still like your ideas about price and perception, heaps of that generic type stuff coming out of Taiwan and china is all good, made on the same machines as branded stuff. I guess sometimes quality control isn't there.

but dang it, maybe I was supposed to save my $100 to put towards that surly troll frameset I really want for the job ($1100 to get one airfreighted here in oz, or pay $800 and wait six months!) sigh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast