Homey don't play that!

Ventana El Gato Loco

It was time for a new bike. After riding a 29 ss for over a year I knew I wanted something fs with 29" wheels. I don’t do any real technical riding. Mainly buffed singletrack with a little rolling semi-tech. It had to be agile and light, 4" of travel should handle anything I ride. It also had to climb well and last but not least it had to be a Ventana.

After 3 weeks on the bike I can say I nailed it. I freakin’ love this bike. It feels like it just does everything right. It descends, it carves, and “Hey!” it climbs and it climbs well. It’s a mix of 06 and 07 XTR, King, Stans, Easton, bla bla bla. Weight is 26.2 lbs.

Was it worth selling my beloved Saltamontes? YES!

Yes it does have a pink head badge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice looking ride

I just rode an El Rey yesterday - GREAT riding bike. WIll likely be my next. Whats up with your poplock cable?

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    I just rode an El Rey yesterday - GREAT riding bike. WIll likely be my next. Whats up with your poplock cable?
    Yeah it met all my expections and more. I don't know, what's up with my poplock cable?
    [SIZE="2"]Old age and treachery will always win over youth and exuberance. [/SIZE]

Powered by ice cream.
    What is the weight difference between that and an El Rey?

Will there be a weight limit for the rider?

Looks quite fast. Angus is lonely
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    What is the weight difference between that and an El Rey?

Will there be a weight limit for the rider?

Looks quite fast. Angus is lonely
    Probably about 0.32 lb. lighter.

The weight limit would be the same as a El Patron, 190 lbs.

Feels fast and smooth.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It might be the light or something, but are those King cups pressed all the way in? Looks like there's a little gap there? Between the headtube faces and the curved part of the cup that normally sits flush against the headtube?

Nice bike, BTW!

mtbr member

Rider weight limit?

Is there something that states a rider weight limit of 190 lbs? I just bought an El Rey and I'd have to fast for a couple of weeks to get to 190.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Only for the Patron. I tried to get a Patron/Rey hybrid with the El Rey botton bracket holder/dudad (?) however the 3in rockers weren't designed for my fat butt. Listened to Sherwood, ran more platform than my El Cap, but the real reason my Rey feels faster than my Cap is the shorter fork and faster tires. Even though I'm not fast, it feels fast.

Homey don't play that!
    Quote Originally Posted by onegeargood
    Is there something that states a rider weight limit of 190 lbs? I just bought an El Rey and I'd have to fast for a couple of weeks to get to 190.
    Your El Rey should be fine for you. The difference between my and your frame is you have a 1 3/4" top tube (bigger) and a machined bottom bracket shell. The 1 3/4" top tube lets Ventana raise the weight limit past 190 lbs. The 190 lb. weight limit is for the El Patron and El Fuego which both use a 1 ˝" top tube and lightweight bottom bracket shell.

jms
    mtbr member

Ordered the same thing Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Pauliemon
    Probably about 0.32 lb. lighter.

The weight limit would be the same as a El Patron, 190 lbs.

Feels fast and smooth.
    Beautiful bike! I ordered essentially the same thing at the Sea Otter on Friday - El Patron with El Rey angles in 19 in., ball burnished finish. It's supposed to be finished the first week of May. Hope to have it together for the 12 hrs. of Weaverville.