mtbr member

Velox replacement?

I'm going to try to convert a tire or two in the next week or so to tubeless using san's stuff... seems like I might need to experiment with layers of Velox....
    Is there some sort of replacement that I can buy cheaper (and buy a bit more bulk) to use that I can't think of? Maybe strapping tape?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I'm going to try to convert a tire or two in the next week or so to tubeless using san's stuff... seems like I might need to experiment with layers of Velox....
    Is there some sort of replacement that I can buy cheaper (and buy a bit more bulk) to use that I can't think of? Maybe strapping tape?
    Didn't you read the latest Dirt Rag? They did a review of different types of rim tape.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Didn't you read the latest Dirt Rag? They did a review of different types of rim tape.
    Yeah, but what can I use to take up a bit of "space" on the rim? Thatr mainly rim strips, not the layering I need..

mtbr member
    If you are going to try a ghetto tubes setup, strapping tape is the stuff to use. I actually use it as a every day rim strip on all my bikes. Ive only had one failure and that was on my road bike going down a huge hill using my brakes to much, 160psi+heat expansion= 190psi, and the strip blew through. With my Stans rims I put one layer on, starting opposite the valve stem and pull the tape very tight so it will conform to the rim better. If you can try and find the reinforced kind because it can be pulled tighter. Oh yeah its lighter and cheaper than Stans yellow tape.

Edit: Layers, like onions? You can take some packing tape( the wide kind) and "twist it up" so the sticky is on the out side. Put that in the rims center channel and then put the strapping tape over it. This should give you the "taking up space effect"
    Just do it, Faster, Better, Lighter.
    bikekitchen.blogspot.com
    Single Minded

No longer 26
    What rims/tires.

I used 1 layer of electrical tape, then strapping tape over that. Strapping tape right on the rim does not come off too easy if ever needed so I put the elect tape down first. Then stans 26" strips. Bonty Mustang OSB/XR's. Aired up with a floor pump.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    What rims/tires.

I used 1 layer of electrical tape, then strapping tape over that. Strapping tape right on the rim does not come off too easy if ever needed so I put the elect tape down first. Then stans 26" strips. Bonty Mustang OSB/XR's. Aired up with a floor pump.

G
    Well it'll be first on a pair of Race wheelset (same as Mustang?) And I may go for it it and try a pair of Bonti tires..although the thought of tearing a sidewall scares me
    Maybe a pair of Spec. FT.... But I was also thinking of getting the new Bonti tubeless tires and trying those on regular rims.....
    At some point I hope to build a new set of wheels on some Blunt rims...

No longer 26
    Well it'll be first on a pair of Race wheelset (same as Mustang?) And I may go for it it and try a pair of Bonti tires..although the thought of tearing a sidewall scares me
    Maybe a pair of Spec. FT.... But I was also thinking of getting the new Bonti tubeless tires and trying those on regular rims.....
    At some point I hope to build a new set of wheels on some Blunt rims...
    I bet the Specy tires would work fine as well. Maybe put down 2 layers of elect tape to take up some room to be safer?

BTW, last weekend I road at Blue Mounds St Park here in WI. Lots of sharp edged rocks and very techy trails with no problems on the XR's over the 4 hours of riding.

The Supercal was a champ too. Got caught in my big ring (36) at the bottom of a tough climb with no chance to move to granny other than stopping. Hit the pop lock, stood up and cranked out the technical climb like nobody's biznezz. Had to negotiate quite a good rock garden toward the top and everything worked great.

Cheers.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...