Currently in Exile

Velocity VXC rims??

Does anyone have experience with Velocity VXC rims? I have seen some pretty nice 29r wheel builds using the blunts, but have not found any info on these rims. And yes, I did use the search function before I posted this.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    I've heard that they're light but not very tough. I wonder how they compare to notubes 355s. Oh, and they come in a lot of colours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm running them on my Cannondale F29er and I love them. I weigh 225lbs with gear and I've never had a problem with them. They seem minimalist but don't judge it by its looks. Its a awesome rim. I have them setup ghetto tubeless too. I know alot of guys that run them with SS rigids and they hold up. I recommend them!

Currently in Exile
    Thanks for the replies. I was looking at them because I can get them in colors.......and they are less expensive than Mavics.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

SDClyde
    Mar 2009

Smile Veloctiy Blunts--Great service, questionable product

My orginal Bontrager Race 29er wheels lasted a long time. I weigh 270 lbs and was very happy to get 2500 miles out of them. I bought a set of Velocity Blunts on ebay ($240). After about 100 miles (80 street, 20 dirt) I went on vacation. When I came back from vaca, rim was blown apart. (will try to attach photos). On old wheels and new wheels, I run my tires at 60 lbs. This was crazy! I know I'm heavy, but the factory wheels lasted 2500 miles! Ebay seller offered to replace them. I actually got the 2nd set ob Blunts in 2 days (before they even received 1st set back).
    2nd set: Wheel slop was so bad after 20 miles I had to stop and tighten most of the spokes. Happened again two more times. Tire would start rubbing after 15/20 miles because wheel was moving all over the place from loose spokes. I have since put another 100 miles on this second set and everything has stayed tight/true.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Every since Velocity stopped hand making their rims, their product line has gone to ****. I think they figured since everyone was already sold on their brand name, all the had to do was start making the Deep-V in more colors and they'd be rolling in the $$$. I've built up a few Velocity rims (Two Aeroheads, a Deep-V, and a Dyad) and they were all awful builds. Rims weren't pinned straight, joint wasn't flush, untruable hop around the joint, metal scraps still stuck in every single spoke hole, etc. I friend of mine once found a deep-v that was joined pinned so poorly that he could slide a piece of paper through the joint. Worthless imo.

Velocity used to make good products...
    Last edited by Slurry; 03-17-2009 at 07:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron
    [SIZE="5"]I've heard that they're light but not very tough.[/SIZE] I wonder how they compare to notubes 355s. Oh, and they come in a lot of colours.
    Heard the same.

And while we're on the topic, the No Tubes are great! super light, and let you run tubeless better than anything else. (Just keep the tp high enough not to dent them on rocks..)
    [SIZE="5"]I am Cyclingdirt[/SIZE]

jrm
    mtbr member

VXCs Too soft & flexy

For me @ 190lbs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    Every since Velocity stopped hand making their rims, their product line has gone to ****. .......Velocity used to make good products...
    Mine must be the older, handmade version. I've been running a set of Velocity VXC 26" rims for 7+ years and literally 15-20K trail miles including some pretty rough terrain without a wimper. They were still straight and undented when I retired them a month or two ago.

the new Gilbert Grape
    I have a wheel set built with these. The rear has been fine, and stayed true for over two years. However, I've taco'ed two front wheels, neither was done while doing anything dumb. I rebuilt the front with a Stan's Arch after the 2nd rim died.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

transmitter~receiver
    I weigh ~200 lbs and have been racing on VXCs for over a year. the q/c was excellent out of the box and they've been bombproof... I haven't trued them once. They are laced with Revos to Halo SixDrive hubs:

Quote Originally Posted by SDClyde
    My orginal Bontrager Race 29er wheels lasted a long time. I weigh 270 lbs and was very happy to get 2500 miles out of them. I bought a set of Velocity Blunts on ebay ($240). After about 100 miles (80 street, 20 dirt) I went on vacation. When I came back from vaca, rim was blown apart. (will try to attach photos). On old wheels and new wheels, I run my tires at 60 lbs. This was crazy! I know I'm heavy, but the factory wheels lasted 2500 miles! Ebay seller offered to replace them. I actually got the 2nd set ob Blunts in 2 days (before they even received 1st set back)..
    When you say you got a set of 'Blunts' I guess you mean wheelset? Sucks that you blew a rim apart. 60 psi is crazy pressure, even for your weight. They don't have max tire pressure specs like Stan's does (Flow=40 psi max), maybe you got an oddball. Velocity is one of the best companies warranty-wise that I have ever heard of... 100% no questions asked complete satisfaction. I haven't personally had a Velocity product fail, but it happens to everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by SDClyde
    2nd set: Wheel slop was so bad after 20 miles I had to stop and tighten most of the spokes. Happened again two more times. Tire would start rubbing after 15/20 miles because wheel was moving all over the place from loose spokes. I have since put another 100 miles on this second set and everything has stayed tight/true.
    That sounds like an extremely poor quality build... not a reflection of the rim quality.

SVO
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Have both VXCs & 355s

I weigh 200 and ride hard in rocky terrain. These are 29er. The VXC are a bit flexy but not bad. Durability is good IF the wheels are built right. Lots of wheels out there built like sh#t. 355s seem slightly tougher and less flexy. No sexy colors, as mentioned, and tubeless is more reliable. I have 3 seasons on the VXCs and they are close to needing a rebuild. Primary wheels on a full-suss. Also bear in mind that if you ride a rigid SS you are likely putting a lot less stress through your wheels: Good line = low pain = less abuse. Full suss ridden fast in rocky terrain stresses wheels the most.

MikeSee should chime in- he would know best.

lookin' for a hill
    What's the biggest tire any of you have used on a VXC? What's the biggest you used in a VXC tubeless setup?

I am going on my third season with VXC's.
    I changed the back rim halfway through the first season cause of a little hop that I developed during the original wheel build. I then slid out into a tree and the front wheel buckled at the end of the first season. no problems the second season on the same rims.

I'm going to Texas in march and am planning on getting a captain 2.2 tire and setting up tubeless with gorilla tape and stans.

EDIT: just found this as well. thanks all.

Velocity VXC 29er rim....tire width/compatibility issues?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    What's the biggest tire any of you have used on a VXC? What's the biggest you used in a VXC tubeless setup?
    I've run RaRa 2.25s split-tube-less on my full sus.

Quote Originally Posted by nikwashere
    I'm going to Texas in march and am planning on getting a captain 2.2 tire and setting up tubeless with gorilla tape and stans.
    IME VXCs are not friendly to tape-only tubeless, unless you plan on a few layer of tape to build up the bead seat. I wouldn't even do it then. The inward-sloping rim wall also makes for a tubeless bead that isn't very secure, IMHO. I went to split-tube-less with them and haven't had a problem since.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    haven't used anything bigger than a 2.1 ghetto but its been great so far.