Front Range Cyclist

Velocity VXC 29er Rim..anyone anyone?

Just was dinking around on Velocity's website and notice they offer a disc only rim for 29ers that actually isn't a porker like everyone else's....it's only 462 grams. Everyone else seems to be 500+ grams!

Anyone have experience with this rim in the 29er configuration?

I'm looking to go disc on my next 29er. I currently weigh in at 225lbs. I currently ride a Zipp carbon hub front radial 28h to a CXP 30 rim up front and a LX hub, 3x, revs non drive, comps drive laced to a Open Pro. No problems at all and I ride 3-4 times a week pretty strong. Looking for suggestions on hubs for discs too. All on a full rigid, v-brake equipped On One Inbred 29er (hell of a nice frame-just heavy).

-Jon
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    hmmm`....how much you weigh?

i have a 32h velocity vxc 29 laced to a c-dale lefty hub with supercomps. i weigh 175 pounds.

the wheel is abit flexy. not sure if it's the rim or spokes or a combo of both. not terribly flexy though.

i think i'd run the new salsa disc rim on a rigid bike though. that rim looks tasty.

oh, and the rim does wiegh about 455g or so if i recall correctly.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    Just was dinking around on Velocity's website and notice they offer a disc only rim for 29ers that actually isn't a porker like everyone else's....it's only 462 grams. Everyone else seems to be 500+ grams!

Anyone have experience with this rim in the 29er configuration?

I'm looking to go disc on my next 29er. I currently weigh in at 225lbs. I currently ride a Zipp carbon hub front radial 28h to a CXP 30 rim up front and a LX hub, 3x, revs non drive, comps drive laced to a Open Pro. No problems at all and I ride 3-4 times a week pretty strong. Looking for suggestions on hubs for discs too. All on a full rigid, v-brake equipped On One Inbred 29er (hell of a nice frame-just heavy).

-Jon
    I've got a set laced to Hope Bulb disc hubs with DT comp 2.0/1.8 3x. I'm 215#'s and using them on my single speed and they are very solid. I've been very pleased.

Steve

mtbr member

Go w/ the Delgados

At your weight IMHO I would go w/ the Delgado. Its wider (29mm) than the Velocity vxc rim so the same size tire will have larger footprint/traction. The Delgado isn't much heavier-approx 500g-and my perception is it's one of the strongest/stiffest 29rims at a very good weight.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by juansevo
    Just was dinking around on Velocity's website and notice they offer a disc only rim for 29ers that actually isn't a porker like everyone else's....it's only 462 grams. Everyone else seems to be 500+ grams! Anyone have experience with this rim in the 29er configuration? -Jon
    The VXC is a light rim, in weight and construction. Based on the dozen or so that I've built, the rides I've done on one set built for me, and the reports that I've gotten back from the people I've built them for, I'd say you're a bit heavy for them. I typically recommend them for 165lb or less riders, unless there are extenuating circumstances (race-day only wheels, climbing wheels, etc...). I'm 180 and I find them to be just okay in lateral stiffness when laced for me. I haven't folded one or anything like that, I just prefer a wheel that doesn't flex as much as the VXC-built ones did.

If you were building up a SS and were going to use an SS specific rear hub (with wide flange spacing) I'd recommend that you use a 2.0/1.8 spoke and tension them to the high side of the range. That should give you a semi-durable wheel. But for front disc brake use and rear geared/disc use, I'd warn you off.

Anyone that's considering using the VXC's for everyday wheels would do well to bump up to a slightly heavier spoke than they were originally considering to help support/stabilize the rim. It's a soft rim.

Re: your 'porker' comment, the only sub-500g rim that I've found to be durable enough for me (5'10" and 180#) for everyday xc riding is the Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB. I've been riding those on my Leviathan all spring and am continually surprised at their lateral stiffness on the bike as well as their lack of need for attention after months of hard riding.

Hope that helps.

MC
    Last edited by mikesee; 06-29-2006 at 05:02 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

I'm on VXCs

The build is pretty run of the mill.. 3X, Dt 14/15spokes CK ISO hubs. i' m 185 lbs on a Lenz Lev primarly set up for trail riding. I really like the wheelset set alot and have no complaints..only concerns. i ride pretty hard.

I somehow whacked the front wheel out of true but was ableto true it trailside (thanks Ed) and when i when in to have the wheels retensioned the LBS told me that its good i brough the wheels in when i did because if i rode the rear wheel any longer it was toast. Time will tell i guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Slight Hijack...

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Re: your 'porker' comment, the only sub-500g rim that I've found to be durable enough for me (5'10" and 180#) for everyday xc riding is the Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB. I've been riding those on my Leviathan all spring and am continually surprised at their lateral stiffness on the bike as well as their lack of need for attention after months of hard riding.
    Hey MC, How would you compare the Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB to the Salsa DD 29er rim? They are about the same weights right? What do you think about the differences in rim width between them?

Front Range Cyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_chipmunk
    At your weight IMHO I would go w/ the Delgado. Its wider (29mm) than the Velocity vxc rim so the same size tire will have larger footprint/traction. The Delgado isn't much heavier-approx 500g-and my perception is it's one of the strongest/stiffest 29rims at a very good weight.
    If I'm not toasting lightweight road rims (Mavic Open Pro/Mavic CXP 30) then why bother to go to a heavy ass rim? Unless the Delgado was so noticeable stiffer there doesn't seem to be a good reason to add 100grams of roating mass to the wheels.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Hey MC, How would you compare the Bontrager Mustang Disc OSB to the Salsa DD 29er rim? They are about the same weights right? What do you think about the differences in rim width between them?
    The Salsa is wider and softer/flexier, the Bontrager is narrower and firmer/stiffer. Rim width is a totally different subject--some people prefer a wider rim/squarer profile tire, others prefer a narrow rim/rounder tire. Some don't notice a difference, and some don't care if there's a difference.

Me? Horses for courses. Narrow rims for racing, wide for trail riding, superwide for AM/FR use.

And ridicu-wide for snow...

MC

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    MC,

Hmm... I'm at 155-160 (oh yeah, but that goes up a bit when I'm wearing my mess bag). I'm gonna go fixie rear, disc front. For an everyday wheelset, do you think I can go with a 32h 3X with a VXC or maybe even (my favorite) Deep V? Most of my riding will be on the street, and trails occasionally. The 29er may become my urban assault vehicle. Go anywhere, do anything. I'm currently running on my street trackbike: deep V, promax SBs, and Wheelsmith 2.0-1.7-2.0. My bag can weigh up to 20 - 30 lbs (depending on if it's a 12 pk or 18 ;-) ). Haven't busted a spoke or true despite all the skipping, potholes, curb jumping. I love the way the deep v wheels look on the bikes you've posted

wot no bike?
    Howdy --

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I can't seem to find the recommended spoke tension for this rim, anyone know, or know what the upper end of the tension range is?

Thanks!
    pete