feel the Force

Velocity VXC 29er rim

Does anyone have experience with these rims? I know they've had the Dryad for a while, but this is a new rim for '07. It's basically their 26" disc specific rim, now made for 29ers. I see the weight is listed at sub 500g. Anyone seen one in person? I wonder how durable they are... How do they build up? Have you built one yet mikesee? Thanks.

You know, for kids
    these new Velocity Blunt rims are supposedly around 480g each. They look really strong. This set is mounted on my new frame, just waiting for a crankset to come in...

any LBS can call up Velocity and order directly from them. The Blunt rim is not listed on their site yet.

lord of my world
    I run the VXC's on my Karate Monkey,and I think they're strong. I float between 185 and 195 lbs and no problems so far. Been running them for about 6 months.

Back in Black
    My black Blunts came in last week from Speedgoat ($48 each) and were 493 and 495 grams.

Great rim. The extra width compliments my Geax Saguaros nicely.

jrm
    mtbr member

I didnt like um..

Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Does anyone have experience with these rims? I know they've had the Dryad for a while, but this is a new rim for '07. It's basically their 26" disc specific rim, now made for 29ers. I see the weight is listed at sub 500g. Anyone seen one in person? I wonder how durable they are... How do they build up? Have you built one yet mikesee? Thanks.
    mine where build 3x to CK hubs. Way to spongy and flexed like a mutha. Currently riding bonty mustangs and like um alot..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

This place needs an enema
    Depends on how much you weigh, what hubs/spokes/bike you'll be using them on, etc..

IMO they are a very whippy, very flexy, for-light-riders-only kinda rim. I don't use them very often because most riders want something more durable and stout feeling than these can be built.

MC

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i have a lefty front wheel laced 32h, 3 cross with supercomp spokes to a vxc rim. i think the rim is very similar (though abit stiffer) to the stan's 355 rim.

i am about 160 these days and it feels ok. it is flexy and there are probably better alternatives. i am sure alot of the flex is from the supercomp spokes too. the flex is/was more pronounced when i weighed 175.

can't remember how much my rim weighed....maybe 465g or sumthin'. i think the stan's arch or delgado race is a better bet.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Depends on how much you weigh, what hubs/spokes/bike you'll be using them on, etc..

IMO they are a very whippy, very flexy, for-light-riders-only kinda rim. I don't use them very often because most riders want something more durable and stout feeling than these can be built.

MC
    Mikesee built me up a wheelset about 18 months ago using them. I ran them on a rigid bike, and weight about 175 pounds. I really like the way that the wheelset rode, and didn't notice a significant amount of flex - maybe the flex helped make the rigid ride more compliant.

In any case, they remained perfectly true until last week, when I managed to taco the front wheel while riding in Crested Butte. In an apparent JRA situation, I was climbing out of the saddle, and hit a 3-4 inch rock and the wheel pretty much buckled. A couple of miles earlier I was riding downhill, and came upon a rooty section of trail (on a trail that I'd not riden before). I tried to launch the bike off of the first large root, and clear the section. Unfortunately, I came up a bit short and the front wheel impacted the last root pretty hard. I guess this must have caused a bit of damage, although I was able to keep riding (that's the only reason that I can figure that the wheel failed when it did).

Anyway, prior to the tacoed front wheel, I was extremely happy with my set. I'm not 100% sure that I'll have the wheel rebuilt with the same rim - it might be time for something a bit stronger.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sounds like they're flexy and if so, they're not worth it.
    Rhyno Lites are 590g, wide, not flexy, cheap, and strong.

mtbr member

Is that a measured weight

Quote Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
    Sounds like they're flexy and if so, they're not worth it.
    Rhyno Lites are 590g, wide, not flexy, cheap, and strong.
    Is 590g measured on a scale or is that just off the Sun website. I'm curios to know a real measured weight of the Rhyno Lites.

just ride
    very happy with them on my mamasita and i weigh 250
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by npstaehling
    Is 590g measured on a scale or is that just off the Sun website. I'm curios to know a real measured weight of the Rhyno Lites.
    Off the Sun website.

feel the Force
    Well then. I'll toss this question out there; What rims should I be looking at? I'll be building them up on Hope Pro II Hubs, on a Black Sheep Highlight, gears, Reba up front. I'm 172 lbs, I ride, and race, pretty darn fast, but with finesse. I want something that's durable, but reasonably light, around 500g. Are the Blunts flexy? How about the DT 7.1d?

breathing helium
    I've got some laced to DT240's on my Ti hardtail. I like them but the Delgado Discs were way stiffer. I think I'm going to send my hubs back to Mikesee to have them built up with Stans Arches. I guess overall they have been good but they are not really burly. I weigh 152. I dented one of them pretty good and don't know when I did it.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Quote Originally Posted by cocheese
    I've got some laced to DT240's on my Ti hardtail. I like them but the Delgado Discs were way stiffer. I think I'm going to send my hubs back to Mikesee to have them built up with Stans Arches. I guess overall they have been good but they are not really burly. I weigh 152. I dented one of them pretty good and don't know when I did it.
    Which rim you talking about? The blunt or the DT 7.1D ?
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

If you have to ask...
    I've been perfectly happy with my VXC rims. I weigh 180 pounds, and don't notice any undue amount of flex out of them.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Ride, Sleep, Work
    I have a set of these rims I have been ridding and racing for the last 4 months(I know that is not long enough for a good reveiw). I like mine really well. I weigh 154, I am on the lighter side of the people that have posted. I have mine built up with Hope Pro 2 hubs with Wheelsmith DB spokes, 3x, 32 hole.

I do not notice flex in the wheels. I ride and race my wheels hard.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

breathing helium
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    Which rim you talking about? The blunt or the DT 7.1D ?
    Sorry for the long delay. I was talking about the VXC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I.........

I have been on Mine since last fall, 180ish. lb. dressed and still going strong with about 3000 mi. on Them this year alone. I got a small limb in My back wheel last week, broke three of My nipples (Yes, I'm a freak!) and the wheel stayed almost perfectly true, allowing Me to finish y trail ride and commute home. I have no issues what-so-ever.
    P.S. They are a great company to deal with if You call and talk to the U.S. distributer!

Gold Member
    I was going to go with the VXC's because I've had great luck with them in 26" versions for about 2-3 yrs now. In the end I went Blunts for the extra width with minimal weight penalty and I am happy that I did.

PS> I've floated between 190-210 since owning them.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    Salsa El Mariachi
    SC TBc
    Kona JTS
    RM RMX
    LOOK675