Big Wheel Homer !!

Velocity VXC 29er rim

I just got in a set of VXC rims. They are disc only, eyelets, 23mm wide, and come in at a very nice weight, 460,462. They will be laced to a set of red Hope bulb disc with DB spokes for the new Vulture ( that shipped today).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Tire fit - loose or tight?

Have you or has anyone else tried putting tires on these rims? Loved how well my Dyads held up but the 'looseness' was a bit un-nerving even tho I never had any tire roll-offs. The lighter weight could be a nice touch as well. Been rocking the TK7.1's on both bikes this summer and no complaints other than the extra weight at times - FYI I'm only 165-170ish and a lighter wheelset might be in my future.......

Cheers,

D

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta825

Have you or has anyone else tried putting tires on these rims? Loved how well my Dyads held up but the 'looseness' was a bit un-nerving even tho I never had any tire roll-offs. The lighter weight could be a nice touch as well. Been rocking the TK7.1's on both bikes this summer and no complaints other than the extra weight at times - FYI I'm only 165-170ish and a lighter wheelset might be in my future.......

Cheers,

D
    Mike G (oddsandendos.com) had Velocity make these rims and I remember he requested various fit info on various tires several months ago. I can only assume that the tires fit great, but I don't have any personal experience. I bet he'll respond to this thread or you can find bianchi4me somewhere on mtbr. Better yet, just call him.

Being a clyde, I'll have to pass.

Big Wheel Homer !!
    I got these from Mike @ Oddsandendos.com, he has about 14 anodized black left and several powdercoated colors. I did slip on a Maxxis Ignitor and it seemed as good a fit as the Delgados I have, I could get it on the rim without a lever. I'll just wait and see once I get them laced and give them a try.

Steve

mtbr member
    I've got Ignitors on my VXC's right now. Great fit, not loose at all. I gotta say, for the price, these make Stans Olympics look like a rotten deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Alta825

Cheers,

D

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Hey, Cool!

In the past weeks, I built up a wheelset around the 26" version of the VXC. So far, so good, but I've only got a handful of rides on them -- to early to know how durable they'll be.

Impressions so far as as follows:

The painted finish isn't the greatest quality. A section of the finish peeled when I removed the decal, and it marrs easily when I strap them down to the roof rack. Yeah, that's partly due to the pimp-daddy white color I picked, but I'd rather they were powdercoated for a little extra durability.

The eyeleted spoke holes are bonus. I ran my previous Velocity rim, a non-eyeleted Aero Heat, for over three years without evidence of a single crack or fissure.

The seams (pinned, I assume) are a little, er, spacious. So much so, in fact, that Speedgoat attempted to exchange one they had ordered for me, assuming it was defective. Velocity told them the gap was somewhat normal, and sure enough, it closed up pretty well once I got the wheel constructed with a proper amount of tension pulling it all together.

As for the tightness of the bead seat... Well, the good news is that the 26" version isn't quite as tight as the impossible Sun DS1-XC I just retired as a fromt rim. The bad news is they are still very, very tight and it takes a little effort to get the rubber mounted. It'l be interesting to see where the go with with on the 29" version of the hoop.

Hopefully they'll come in all the fun colors that the 26" version is available in, otherwise, I could go either way with the bigwheeled Velocity VXC.

speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    They do come in a bunch of colors. I was able to put on my Ignitors with just my hands (no levers).

Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Hey, Cool!

Hopefully they'll come in all the fun colors that the 26" version is available in, otherwise, I could go either way with the bigwheeled Velocity VXC.

Shop Owner/Frame Builder
    May 2004

Cost?

What is the cost of these rims?

Recovering couch patato
    Huh? Good fit in 29" terms often means HAVING to use a lever to get it on, or not needing 5 hands to KEEP it on?

Big Wheel Homer !!
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaron
    What is the cost of these rims?
    $60 ea. Not bad compared to some of the other rims around, Mavic and the Mustangs are in that range and of course Stan's are a bit higher. I have a Bontrager race set, a set built with Delgado's and a set built with Alex TD-17 to compare against once I get them built.

Steve

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Cruz has a new girlfriend. Her name is Chloe
    Last edited by cruzthepug; 09-21-2005 at 05:18 AM.

Big Wheel Homer !!

Wheels are finished

I got my new wheelset finished up this morning. They turned out quite nice. Not the lighest wheels in the world, but should be very smooth. VXC rims laced to Hope XC front and Hope Bulb rear, Wheelsmith DB14 spokes, black brass nips. 880 grams front, 1050 rear. Now I just need a frame to put them on.