Jabberwocky Jockey

Vassago Cycles Verhauen First Ride Impressions

I just got my Vassago Verhauen built and out on the trails over the weekend and here is what I thought.

The Black Label frames are spec'd with US tubing, US hardware, US powdercoating and welded up in the good. old USA completely in-house by folks that know what they are doing. Nothing is outsourced.

The first thing I noticed out of the box is the really cool paint. I got the green one and the paint has a kind of candy effect to it, You can see through the color to the steel below. It features sliding dropouts, a 44mm headtube and a nifty stainless steel insert in the seat tube to prevent unintended seat post stickage.
    After building it up with a Whisky #7 fork, SS drivetrain and I9 wheels, it was time to ride. Vassago vets will notice that this bike (like the Black Label Optimus) "ain't your daddy's Vassago".. It is stiff! Much stiffer than any of the other frames from Vassago. Stiff in a good way though. The bottom bracket (73mm now over the old 68mm) does not budge and the 44mm headtube really adds to a solid feeling front end. On the trail, the Verhauen really handled well. I have mine set up with WTB Bronson 2.2 tires front and rear and they seemed to enable me to use the best of the frame to the fullest in tight singletrack (eastern rocky, rooty, loamy to hardpack). I love the way my bike turns.
    Climbing offered the same kind of good vibes. Standing and grinding out steep, long climbs and there was no drama, no unwanted swagger from the bottom bracket, nothing but forward motion. I can't wait to get more saddle time to really get no know the new frame.

I also own a Black Label Optimus (geared) and a 2nd gen (Lynskey made) Optimus (SS). The Verhauen currently is tied for first with the BL Opti for alpha bike status in my stable and the 2nd Gen Opti is....... uh, well it's a spare bike for now.

I haven't weighed any of them but the Verhauen actually feels slightly lighter than the SS Opti (both similar build except whisky fork and I9's on the V and Rock Solid fork and Stan's/Hope wheels on the O). Not a huge issue with me either way but interesting nonetheless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vassago Cycles Verhauen First Ride Impressions-600279_10151621519494410_1303497292_n.jpg  

Vassago Cycles Verhauen First Ride Impressions-1002716_10151621519289410_1988478177_n.jpg  

Vassago Cycles Verhauen First Ride Impressions-922711_10151621519594410_1412106544_n.jpg  

Vassago Cycles Verhauen First Ride Impressions-417777_10151588942304410_381390164_n.jpg  

Vassago Cycles Verhauen First Ride Impressions-960208_10151588940694410_1595247193_n.jpg  

Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very cool build !
    What make is the seat post ?

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Thanks! It's a Thomson 400mm.
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Bro Mountainbiker
    Sweeet! Dig the paint. I bet it rides awesome too. I would like to throw a leg over one before I die.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    very cool....was looking at one of those for a build this winter...an upgrade to my old jabber

mtbr member
    First post

Received my VerHauen last week Wednesday and built it up for a race on Saturday just past....man am I happy with my purchase. The bike handles superbly, smooth as butter over the rocky stuff but stiff when it matters. The paintjob is also trick(EPA copper) and Tom was very helpful and managed to get the frame to me halfway around the world(South Africa)

mtbr member
    I got the Bloody Nose Red.
    Love it. My build is pretty heavy but it rolls and it is faster than I am.

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Sweet build J-Bone...I got the whisky fork whilst I was at it...loving life on my rigid and to be honest, don't want any other bike in the world

mtbr member
    Not my build. Well, it is my bike but bought it complete from my LBS. They stripped another 29r they had in the shop and built up a Verhauen to get some of the frames moving out the door

Yeah, I have been eyeing up the whiskey fork. I figured I can lighten it up quite a bit with it. Not sure about going full rigid though. I grew up riding full rigid-I just think that I have grown accustomed to. I don't want to spend that kind of dough on a a carbon fork if Im not into the ride. How'd you come to the decision to ride full rigid. I think about it a lot when I ride. Do I upgrade the suspension fork or go whiskey??? Hmmm. Stem/bars/seat post are up first. Then Wheels in a year so I have time to think about it.

How does yours handle and ride? Might also go SS. Yikes. feeling rebellious

mtbr member
    Rigid is my preferred choice on a singlespeed, I stand quite a bit when things point up and not worrying about a lockout(which on most forks don't completely lockout anyway) is a big bonus...every watt goes into moving forward, not up and down. Look although the carbon rigid soaks up some of the clatter on the trail it will never give you travel, but once you have made peace with that fact, and get used to it, you will love it. It also forces you to choose better lines, no-more bombing down where you close you eyes and just hold on. You have to choose the path of least resistance...so to speak. It does lighten up the front by quite a bit though so lifting your front to clear obstacles etc becomes a walk in the park. Oh and maintenance, well there is none, you just wash the fork and its as good as when it came out of box. So on a singlespeed where everything should be low tech, low maintenance it rocks.

Handling wise, I absolutely love it, it is so responsive, no under or over steer and I can compare it to my Niner EMD(another bike in my shed), the bikes really comes alive in singletrack but without being a harsh ride like the EMD which leaves me with sore joints and body after 60km. Personally I say go rigid, but to each their own

mtbr member
    thanks man. You are another rigid rider that loves it

mtbr member
    I got my Verhauen frame this week Monday and will build it up over the next month or so...Originally it was going to replace the jabber, but I think I'll build it up geared with front suspension and keep the jabber as the rigid SS
    Went with the nonemoresatin black..