Mr. Lurker

Vassago Bandersnatch or Chupacabra?

Looking for advice on my next build, just not sure how these two frames ride - any major differences? My last bike was a Sette Razzo; pretty nice ride, but not spectacular.
    Any other steel frames worth mentioning, that compare to the Bandersnatch?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have never ridden a Chupa....or a Razzo for that matter.....but the Bander gives a really smooth ride. You will probably notice quite a difference. My first steel 29er....love it.

Just beware....there are a few guys on here who still need a hug because of Vassago.....and now there is another thread that they are no doubt reading, even though they are have sworn off the brand. I am sure they will chime in.

My experience has been so-so with customer service....but my issue was taken care of. Hope Vassago and whoever is running it now can get things worked out....and running smoother. Other than that, its a great bike.

Enter at your own risk.
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

singletrack bound
    I can add here as I have ridden a Jabber for three years and I really liked the ride. Very stable bike at speeds.
    Here's a large Bander for sale.....

Paid Spam; Snatch For Sale
    Sorrel Seeker !!

mtbr member
    i have had a bander for 3 years and it rocks as far as ride comfort and compliance. if ya got stand up and hammer better be ready to lean way back to find traction.

what about the razzo you didn't like?

i also have a performance access that is not too bad for a light weight aluminum frame. it is way better in absorbing studder and trail grit than the razzo. the razzo just felt dead and transmitted too much of the trail into my body than i liked.
    so my afro now sticks out of my helmet.

Mr. Lurker
    The Razzo was ok, just didn't feel right cornering. Maybe it's just me.

Been doing some reading and these three bikes seem to be good steel HTs:
    Haro Mary
    Redline Monocog
    GT Peace 9er

I would probably go for a Mary, if I could find one local. Don't seem to be many used ones for sale.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode a Bander for 2 years and really liked the ride. I eventually swapped out the frame because it was always a tad long in the top tube for me. I replaced it with a Soma Juice, and wow! The Soma gave me exactly what I liked about the Bander - "in" the bike feeling, steel HT, etc. It also improved on what I didn't like - snappied cornering due to shorter chain stays, and was a smoother ride thna the Bander with the Tange chromoly.

If you haven't looked into them, I'd have a look.
    Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    May 2009

Not just the frame material

The Chupacabra is going to be much more versatile with the switchplate system, 3 different plates to let you go single speed, 100 mm fork or 120mm. So it depends what you are looking for. The forums seem to be full of Bander and Jabber info, but not much on the Chup, but they seem like an interesting set-up. Hucknroll had a big sale earlier on these, a friend pick one up locally for $360. They don't seem to be selling a lot of these so I bet they blown them out soon when Vassago launches there new site and 2012 line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    The Chupacabra is going to be much more versatile with the switchplate system, 3 different plates to let you go single speed, 100 mm fork or 120mm. So it depends what you are looking for. The forums seem to be full of Bander and Jabber info, but not much on the Chup, but they seem like an interesting set-up. Hucknroll had a big sale earlier on these, a friend pick one up locally for $360. They don't seem to be selling a lot of these so I bet they blown them out soon when Vassago launches there new site and 2012 line.
    I Own a Chupacabra, it is the best ride I've tried, and its compatible with anything, Changing from a 9 Speed Setup to a Single speed gets real easy, if you are the kind of rider that actually enjoys the mechanics of the bike as well, its sturdy as hell and you really can ride like the devil.