mtbr member
    May 2006

van dessel jersey devil ht questions

Hey all,
    did a search on here for jersey devil reviews but most have been for the fs version. Anyone out there riding the hardtail? What's your opinion on the bike? I am looking for a geared ht frame for xc racing next season. The bike will be set up with either an 80mm reba or a pace rc29 depending on he course.

I am currently racing a kula 2-9 set up ss and love the way it rides and handles. I was considering building the kula up with gears but would like to keep it an ss for training.

Looking for a light, fast handling frame in the sub 1K range. I've looked at niner, fisher, kona, specialized, salsa and some custom frames like a badger if my budget gets a little better. At least with the badger i can go custom paint to make it different...

This will probably sound dumb but i am really looking for something different. Every race i have 3 kulas there, several niners, etc. I've never seen a van dessel around here and everything i have found on them, everyone loves them.

Welcome your opinions on the devil.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I posted the other day in the 29er forum with pics of my Jersey Devil HT. See the link below.

I'm very happy with the bike. I would recommend going with the 100mm fork which it is designed for.
    Barry
    Van Dessel Jersey Devil HT (pics)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for the reply. your post is what got me looking at van dessel actually. I was looking for something different to build this winter and your bike was amazing.

Does it seem twitchy with the lefty @ 80mm? Bumping the reba up to 100mm isn't a big deal but i run it locked out 90% of the time anyway. I wonder how it would handle with the pace on the front...

Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Buconine,
    I have two other bikes - a Moots YBB and a Titus Racer-X. The handling is much closer to the YBB. If you call Edwin or Ted at Van Dessel, they can give you the recommended Axle to Crown height to determine the right fork. The Lefty works well because it is a tall fork even though travel is limited to 80mm in the 29er mode. I like it because it tracks well and is stiff.

As far as twitchy goes, it depends on what you are use to. I could see how some could say it is twitchy but I just consider it to quick. I've hit 46mph on a road downhill and felt fine. To me it handles like my YBB which is a good thing.

I was in the same situation as you with a 29er SS. I stole a bunch of parts to build up the Van Dessel. I need the gears and found that it does everything I want with just the single front chainring. I'm doing the Vermont 50 in a few week (back of the pack guy) and will probably also stick a small ring on the front as an insurance policy that I'll shift by hand if the hills get to be too much.

I would also look at the Niner Air9 if you can find them, I believe another run is just coming available. I have the One9 SS and love it. However, I like the carbon chainstays on the Van Dessel and they are 20 minutes away from me and that broke the tie with the Niner.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i have a kula 2-9 and a monocog 29er. I really like the handling of the kula but wish it was a bit quicker. The angles are a bit steeper on the devil and the top tube is a 1/2" shorter. Should be a good fit. I'll get a hold of van dessel and see what my fork options are.

thanks again!