mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Used set of Stan's ZTR Arch

I just bought a used Salsa Spearfish under my budget. (Trying to decide between a Scalpel 4 and a Tallboy) A local guy has a set of Stan's ZTR Arch EX wheels with Maxxis Ardent tubeless tires mounted. He says he used them for two races and that's it. He is switching to a Lefty so needs to sell these. Asking $500.

The bike I bought has serviceable (I think) Bontrager wheels and the tires are in decent shape. Is this deal on the Arch wheelset a good upgrade? There are a couple pictures in the thread I linked of the current wheels.

If I try to buy these would it be offensive to offer $400? $450? Retail on the whole shebang is over $700 but I'm not sure what the real world value on these is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    These are used with no warranty so 400 seems right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Thank you! I know he's had them for sale for a couple months, so maybe he's motivated. Appreciate the feedback!

mtbr member
    I bought a brand new set of those wheels back in January for $450 (shipped) on ebay. $400 should be a good price.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Yes......
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I met the seller and ended up buying the set for 500. The seller was firm on the price.

This did include the wheels plus Maxxis tires already setup as tubeless. They were very close to new condition. Perfectly true and the tread wasn't noticeably worn.

The seller was a mother of a 16 yo jr rider who has just been getting into racing. I am in a fairly small community and like to see the youngsters in the sport, so I really didn't have a problem paying what I paid, even if it was a bit too much.

She had them built at the dealer I've done a ton of business with, and he's always treated me right, so I think even if some problem occurs he will help minimize the impact.

Anyway. I got the brakes and cassette switched out and they look and feel awesome.

Btw. I thought I was screwed at first when I saw the hub splines. They look nothing like the Shimano cassette I was moving over. Took some reading to make sure it would work. Learning something new everyday as I get more into MTB.

Thanks for all the responses.