mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Upgrading my Rockhopper

So far I've done bars and pedals only. I've been nulling over the what fork I want do the SR upgrade for the Raidon for 200bucks, or find a Reba at a decent price. I've found one for just under 400.

That being said. What is your guys take on the Rockhopper frame. I love the flat black look of the bike, and I have added red bars, seat clamp, and pedals, So to the eye I am very pleased. However, on the other hand i kind of think I may be better off selling mine down the road and getting an Airborne Goblin. Has X7 components, already has the Reba, better brakes, 2x10 etc etc.

On the other hand, I've already paid for this bike, so I can upgrade over time, and I dig the looks of it. Too many dang choices. ha ha...

thanks,

Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When I had my Rockhopper, I upgraded it over time. Like you, I did the bars first...already had decent pedals. Then I got a new wheel set because I'm a clyde and the wheels just couldn't hold up. My brakes were fine, and the bike already had an upgrade of an XT rear der. I had a good time upgrading parts over time on that bike. I learned a lot about bikes in the process. I eventually moved on once I started learning about my riding style and how my local trails played a role in the type of bike I eventually wanted. My point: one of the advantages of upgrading a bike over time is you learn more about your bike and your needs as you go, which allows you to think about the kind of bike you want to buy new and spend more coin on.

You can get a Reba for $300 if you're patient and shop around.
    A nice wheelset can be had for under $400, if you ever think you'll need to change that.
    SLX brakes can be had for $150 front and rear.
    Rear der. and shifters can be had for very cheap if you shop around.
    2x10 may eventually work for you, but it's not the end-all-be-all.

So long as your Rockhopper is comfortable to you. And you like the way it steers, rides, maneuvers, then I say stick with it.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi

I bought my Rockhopper 2012/13 (the A1 version NOT M4 ) as a frame from eBay (as i have all my parts, some new , some used . All bargins ) . Currently running rigid carbon On-One race forks and Specialized Roval wheels (Tubeless Geax Suguaro TNT) carbon bars , seatpost , and seat . @ 22lb with plenty of potential to lose more . Into it for roughly 6-700 at the moment so quite pleased so far . The potential for this frame is there and it will be the geometric basis for the carbon frame I choose . I just love how light and nimble it rides . Running ghetto xtr 2x9 (Remove a ring and adjust the limit screws on a 3x9 system ) on a Cannondale coda (Magic Motorcycle) crank . What I'm trying to illustrate here is that if you're prepared to save and wait for bargins you can make just about any frame light enough and handle well enough for *most* things and situations . It just depends on how long you're prepared to save to get the parts you desire and what you intend to use the bike for .
    Yeah if I had the disposable income and free time that some people seem to have I'd have bought a 20,000 bike off the peg but I haven't .
    This is the only way I can eventually get the bike that I want and I'm still learning after 40+ years of bike building and riding .
    Always get the best you can afford even if you have to save .
    Always research
    Always ask for advice on forums
    Don't be swayed by "fashion"
    Always make your own choice once armed with info you gained.

ALWAYS ENJOY THE RIDE (Even if you're on a $50 Huffy and that's all you can afford)

As Slow Danger said stick with the bike you have but upgrade parts if / as they wear out .

mtbr member
    Be careful of "upgrade-idous." Your biggest upgrade is your own body improvement! Ride your hopper like I did mine, and replace what fails. Save your dollars for your next ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    thanks for the advice fellas. I'm gonna keep an eye out for a Reba, lowest i've seen so far is 360 ish