mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Upgrade Question (budget-y XC frame, 142mm rear)

Hey Everyone,

Been looking around a bit for this, but I thought I'd ask the masses here. Here's my situation: I have a 2015 Salsa El-Mariachi in large with 142x12 Alternator dropouts for the back and a 2017 Rockshox Reba SL 15mm fork (with 46mm rake). I'm looking to do marathon MTB races, which where I am aren't super technical and I'm considering either: 1. Buying a Firestarter carbon fork (which will save me about 1kg, plus I'll have a nice fork for bikepacking) or 2. buying an ALU frame.

I would want the frame to be around the same price as the fork (about 500 euros) and would want to ideally save around 1.5kg - my frame weighs about 2.5kg-3kg. I would need the new frame to also be 142mm and take a fork with a 46mm rake, because changing all that stuff would be a bit too pricey.

If anyone's got any ideas about ALU frames with 142mm rear spacing and 46mm rake up front (or carbon, but doubtful at my price range - and I'm definitely not opposed to used) , I'd really appreciate some suggestions

Thanks!

WillWorkForTrail
    The real problem is, in that price range you won't find an AL frame that rides as well as that steel frame does. It will feel harsh. I've been told so many times I believe it, that a high end AL frame can ride as well as a steel frame. I've never experienced it, but I'll save the people who usually have to point it out the trouble of doing so, because I've said it. But I doubt very seriously you'll find it in your price range, and that ride quality will become important at marathon distances. On the whole, the fork might be a better option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Found a Santa Cruz Highball ALU frame that is just over budget... the opinions on it seem to be pretty decent, though some folks are a little divided about SC not going full "modern geo" and sticking with a 70.5 degree head-tube...but seeing as the El-Mar is a full 71, it should still be a bit more nimble on the decents.

Cotharyus - any idea on the Highball ALU?

MTB B'dos
    My $0.02, I'd stick the the El Mariachi, it's a great frame, add the rigid fork and a nice high volume front tyre.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Any recommendations on the rigid fork besides the Salsa Firestarter Carbon? I really like the idea of having the option of the three bolt mounts for bikepacking - but perhaps others are doing too...

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    You should stick with what you have. neither of those are going to be a beneficial change to you in a marathon race.

Do you have carbon wheels? Spend the cash and lace up some LB carbon rims to your hubs. If you want frames, you can go Chinese carbon for around 350 bucks. Plenty of info out there on which ones to buy in 142 configuration and from which seller. You can buy some of the open mold frames which are being painted and sold by smaller companies anyways.

Gimme free stuff
    Steel is real! You will likely be downgrading your ride a good deal to save this weight. My choices would be
    1. light, stiff, wide rims
    2. Forgiving carbon cockpit
    3. Lauf fork
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I've got a pair of Crest MK3s laced to DTSwiss 240s, so I'm not really thinking about changing my wheels in the near future. I always kind of had an inkling that I might not be doing myself a favor in changing over to ALU, but it's hard to discount the benefits of a bit of a zippier geometry and over 2lbs of savings.

That Lauf fork is interesting, but a little too crazy for me. I've never been a bleeding edge person, but that thing is interesting.

Gimme free stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by peter85 View Post
    I've got a pair of Crest MK3s laced to DTSwiss 240s, so I'm not really thinking about changing my wheels in the near future. I always kind of had an inkling that I might not be doing myself a favor in changing over to ALU, but it's hard to discount the benefits of a bit of a zippier geometry and over 2lbs of savings.

That Lauf fork is interesting, but a little too crazy for me. I've never been a bleeding edge person, but that thing is interesting.
    What is the budget?
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (L) (For Sale)

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tims5377 View Post
    What is the budget?
    I'd say 500-600euros.

Short-Change-Hero
    This would be my recommendation for something that is XC-ish, steel, has rack bosses and is still using the 142 rear standard.
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO29V...rtical-dropout

Have one that I have been using since 2010 and love it. Have a Salsa Firestarter fork on it and actually thinking about looking for a 120mm suspension fork to make it a little more trail-ish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Unless you really want a new bike, I would stick with the El Mariachi. Put a Works Components Angle Set on it to slacken it just a little and that will help on steep downhills. I love my El Mar and have toyed with getting rid of it but just can't...

MTB B'dos
    Did you even read the OPs post, seriously? He ask about getting a rigid fork or alu frame, not another steel frame that probably weighs the same or more and with a 1degree steeper HTA than he already has

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    This would be my recommendation for something that is XC-ish, steel, has rack bosses and is still using the 142 rear standard.
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROO29V...rtical-dropout

Have one that I have been using since 2010 and love it. Have a Salsa Firestarter fork on it and actually thinking about looking for a 120mm suspension fork to make it a little more trail-ish.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??