mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Upgrade existing bike, or get a new one?

Recently I converted my old Redline Monocog that was setup as a commuter to a singlespeed for the mountain. It was my first 29er, first single speed, and first rigid riding experience all in one. And I have to say, I loved it! I have a full suspension bike for when I really want to open up the downhills, but want a second bike setup single speed to hammer away on to develop better skill techniques and to change things up a bit. I have three possible routes to take and am having a hard time figuring out which one to go with.

1) Upgrade Monocog with a fork, new wheels etc.
    2) Get a newer better steel singlespeed with better parts already.
    3) Get a carbon hardtail like a Trek Superfly, and convert it to single speed.

I think if my riding conditions were not total rock gardens and had more smooth singletrack the rigid would be great. But I want to be able to do longer rides on this bike and not have to stop to give my hands a break. So, I was thinking of putting a fork on it.

But then I thought, well the wheels are heavy and has a very skinny rim, why don't I upgrade those too. And thus the snowball effect started.

This led to thinking about getting a newer better steel single speed to start with.

And that got me thinking, if I'm going to get a new bike, why not try carbon like the Trek Superfly. I have no experience with carbon, so I don't know what it would feel like, but I know it would be lighter.

So if you were in my situation, and you wanted a secondary single speed bike to do some good training rides on and mix things up while keeping it fun, what would you do?

mtbr member

In the future I would buy a used steel frame off you but not a carbon one. YMMV
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    One more for #2

@ mitzikatzi...or an old used monocog frame for that matter.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

tao
    succinct
    Honzo, if you have the scratch.
    plunging like stones from a slingshot on mars.

mtbr member
    I think there are a lot of options out there for #2 that make it the best bet. By the time you figure out the cost of all the parts you want/need to upgrade to get the bike to where you want it, buying another bike is likely the less costly route. The problem is finding a good SS that's equipped the way you want it at a reasonable price. Be aware that there tends to be a polar pattern for SS bikes of under $1k or more than $2.5K but not much in between.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like you guys would go with steel over the carbon. Any main reasoning?

How do you guys like the Salsa El Mariachi?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavezFever View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like you guys would go with steel over the carbon. Any main reasoning?

How do you guys like the Salsa El Mariachi?
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    In the future I would buy a used steel frame off you but not a carbon one. YMMV
    Quote Originally Posted by DavezFever View Post
    ...snip...
    So if you were in my situation, and you wanted a secondary single speed bike to do some good training rides on and mix things up while keeping it fun, what would you do?
    equals STEEL
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Those are good steel options, I'll do the carbon.
    .2012 Scott 29er Scale Expert Carbon Mountain Bike, stans crest wheels, xt/slx | eBay
    Switch the rims to ArchEx and brakes to SLX.
    Just run it in one speed instead of converting.

The perfessor
    Bought a good used SS made of steel - KHS Solo One SE - and upgraded some parts.......will buy a CF Niner fork or similar to replace the current OE fork, and go tubeless for the wheels to drop extra weight.............
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Option 2 if you find what you want but if you are lovin' your current frame, the process of upgrading might be more fun as you get to savour the effects of the component changes (usually the upgrades happen gradually as funds become available). Also, there is the possibility that even if you get a new bike, hitting the trails will expose any shortcomings and you may still find yourself making upgrades anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Another vote for buying another bike. Keep the Monocog as a loaner, because we all have friends that we don't trust with anything more than a cheap steel bike built like a tank.

I had an El Mariachi. It would make an excellent bikepacker. It was a fun bike, but for tech descents, twisty trails, it came up a bit short for me.

Check out the Canfield Nimble 9. Awesome frame. For carbon "racy" frame, I like the Niner geo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Oh yes definitely reccommend the Salsa El-Mar. I've got Arch Ex wheels and Hope X2 evo brakes but the SLX are best 'bang for buck' you can get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Loving the El Mariachi but would definitely need to put a suspension fork on it. Anyone have good results doing that? What kind of fork would you recommend? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I got Fox F29 as part of a deal with the frame. They have been fine so far buI have had seal reliability problems with Fox in the past and they are a little heavy so I'd probably have chosen SIDs with 15mm bolt thru if i'd been starting from scratch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sounds like you guys would go with steel over the carbon.
    Last edited by corbidougu; 12-05-2012 at 01:19 AM.