Thread: Unit 2-9

Hugged a Yeti Today?

Unit 2-9 (Pics)

Well i figured since it is 2-9 I should pick up a 2-9.

Last edited by FoolCyclist; 02-09-2007 at 12:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    oh my god, you're killing me! that frame is beautiful!

good choice!
    Namrita K. O'Dea, MS, RD
    Topeak-Ergon
    Blog
    55nine Performance

mtbr member
    r they still prone to head/down tube cracking or has that been taken care of??

Got A Lust for Life...
    And the new dropouts rule!!!
    I am immune to your disdain.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by jennytalia
    r they still prone to head/down tube cracking or has that been taken care of??
    yes. they're using a different tubeset on the 07 frames. it's a little heavier, but should be much more durable.

mtbr member

Gorgeous! But I'm worried now...

Gorgeous bike! I am awaiting my LBS building up a left over 2006 Kona 2-9 frame. Anyone know if there were there a lot of frame issues with the 2006?

Self-defeatist

beautiful...

nice kona
    my LBS ordered one for me in the fall for spring delivery and I'm counting the days, I can't wait.
    What size frame? I'm wondering what my 20" will look like.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    Gorgeous bike! I am awaiting my LBS building up a left over 2006 Kona 2-9 frame. Anyone know if there were there a lot of frame issues with the 2006?
    Umm...yeah. 10% failure rate at the head tube/down tube gusset. I have cracked two, as has a friend of mine. My '07 replacement is on its way. I would not get an '06, but if it cracks, Kona will replace it.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member

Just did a search...

And read your about your experience. If location is any factor to where this batch of bikes were sent, I live in NorCal. Hopefully Kona did something to determine as best they could the run of frames with the issue and recalled them.

I do like the green vs. the purple (although a nice looking color, too) and the steel they used in the 2006, but it's good to know they will warranty it if needed. Thanks!

mtbr member
    why dont Kona come up with a fork for the same colour scheme.........
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Hugged a Yeti Today?

Mine is a 19 inch

That one is a 19 inch frame. I ordered that one last Sunday and got it on Thursday. I dont know what would be taking so long on yours. When I ordered mine it showed that Kona had about 20 of every size frame in stock.

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by FoolCyclist
    That one is a 19 inch frame. I ordered that one last Sunday and got it on Thursday. I dont know what would be taking so long on yours. When I ordered mine it showed that Kona had about 20 of every size frame in stock.
    A few feet of snow and -20 degree Celsius temps (add wind on top of that, and this week felt like -35 degrees [-31 F?]) keep most people on trainers and in spin classes for the winter. My LBS just ordered my bike for spring delivery to save me freight charges. Even if I had it now, I'd probably just admire it in the relative comfort of my drafty apartment.
    The funny thing is that I work outside every day of the week, building a multi-user trail for the National Park on the North Shore here (fly to Cavandish, Prince Edward Island on Google Earth). I guess I can wait 'til spring to enjoy the fruits of my labour.
    Last edited by CLONG; 02-10-2007 at 08:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WarPigs
    why dont Kona come up with a fork for the same colour scheme.........
    But the fork matches the headset color perfectly.
    "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated" -- Mark Twain.

mtbr member
    and the bars, seatpost, stem, crankarms, hubs, seatpost binder. what else eh?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Self-defeatist

Good job!

One could always comb through the back rooms of bike shops for old purple anodised parts.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    And read your about your experience. If location is any factor to where this batch of bikes were sent, I live in NorCal. Hopefully Kona did something to determine as best they could the run of frames with the issue and recalled them.

I do like the green vs. the purple (although a nice looking color, too) and the steel they used in the 2006, but it's good to know they will warranty it if needed. Thanks!
    I broke two 2006 frames. Despite what may have been said, I am convinced the problem is not a "bad batch". It is a design flaw. I suspect there are less breaks with lighter riders and riders on easier terrain.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Members who have read this thread: 0