Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Ultimate winter commuter

What would you pay for this bike? Here is the ad:

Since I switched to an Ogre as my all around trekking bike, I had this extra Karate Monkey frame set just lying around...what to do?

Build a dream bike and sell it, hopefully! This bike was built to handle the worst
    cold/warm/freezing conditions that the Kenai Peninsula area has to offer.
    Ride it, leave it, repeat.

No derailleurs, sealed bearing everything, cable freezing- not goina happen. Yeah the nuvinci has cables, but they are dual pull (as you pull one, it pulls the other, not the derailleur spring).

Everything is brand new, except the frame, headset, bars, grips, tires. I am fighting every second to not ride this bike.

Ride without fear of having bought a lemon, I am a certified bicycle mechanic from the United Bicycle Institute, and I'ze got papers to prove it.

*New Parts*

*Rims: P35 Velocity Blunt 36h *Front Hub: Surly Ultra New 6bolt disc
    *Rear Hub: Nuvinci n360 CVP 18t cog * Brakes: Elixir 3 Hydraulic disc calipers & levers

*Crank Set: Surly Mr. Whirly 175mm Singlespeed 33t w/Bottom Bracket
    *Chain: 45North Willful Neglect Rust Resistant 8 speed *Seat Post: Ritchey Pro 350mm

*Stem: Salsa 31.8 120mm 75/105d

*Used Parts*

*Tires: Nokian Gazza Extremes 294 carbide studs 29x2.1
    Used only last winter approx. 200 miles

*Handle Bars & Grips: random un-marked from my stash *Head Set: Cane Creek S-1

*Frame Set: Surly Karate Monkey 20" *******The frame has one issue, which may or may not bother you. It was hard to find a proper rack for this frame when it came out, disc brake calipers obstruct the rack eyelets, so you had to use spacers. Spacers added too much leverage on the eyelets and one ripped off. This can be welded back on without damaging the frame, but they are not at all necessary. Today something like the Old Man Mountain rack is prescribed- oldmanmountain.com. As for all the black tape, it is/was there to prevent cable rub/chainslap/ski blade slicing/etc..

Get up close, check out this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3QFWGuLPI

*NOT included*- saddle, pedals
    Last edited by likes_to_roam; 12-27-2012 at 07:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Really!? 221 people viewed this, and no one has a response?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    different prices for different city's. where i am you could not give that bike away. where i came from it would go for what it almost cost new.

mtbr member
    With any bike sale there's a price you want to get and a price buyers are prepared to pay.

If they are the similar a deal can be done, if you need more $$$ than the market is prepared to pay you are going to be sitting with the bike for a while.

As ascarlarkinyar said: different prices for different cities.

mtbr member
    What I'm surprised at is that no moderator has locked this spam thread out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    likes_to_roam, you need to pay for a classified ad (they're cheap), and then you get to post a link to your ad in one subforum.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Is he selling or looking to buy? Why don't you at least put up the sales price from the ad instead of having us guess?

And the perfect winter commuter? Depends on your route, but for me, it'd be a CX bike with two wheelsets - one for dry pavement and studded tires for snow/ice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Read! people, it's good for you.

There is no link to the ad. The link is for a video of the bike. There is no cost, because Im not selling it here. I only want opinions on what you "all knowing," bike snobs would likely pay for such a bike.

I live in Alaska, the post mentions that it was built for the Kenai Peninsula.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What an odd post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    what is odd here? I just want some educated input. Is there some standard I am missing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What's odd is your stupid post that's skirting the edge of needing to pay for an ad for a bike that you're selling. Also, your video is laughably lame.
    Here comes the part where you tell myself and the other 250 people who have seen this thread that we're all missing the point, and that you're not trying to get free advertising. Then you go on and probably insinuate that we just don't understand, and hopefully you finally just delete it and go kick rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ...ouch. should I spice the video up for entertainment value, maybe some action shots? explosions? its only intended to show the quality of the bike and what it is made up of.

My intention is not to rip MTBR off. What's with the mean spirited insults? You insinuate far too much. Maybe try and be constructive, give me some helpful input. Again, I did not put this up to take advantage.

I will not pay for your opinion, which is ALL I am asking for. Maybe you should go ride a bike instead of trolling forums for an opportunity to act tough?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I should pay for an ad? but your signature is an ad..."New & pre-owned Subaru sales in eastern PA. PM me!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    different prices for different city's. where i am you could not give that bike away. where i came from it would go for what it almost cost new.
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    likes_to_roam, you need to pay for a classified ad (they're cheap), and then you get to post a link to your ad in one subforum.
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Is he selling or looking to buy? Why don't you at least put up the sales price from the ad instead of having us guess?

And the perfect winter commuter? Depends on your route, but for me, it'd be a CX bike with two wheelsets - one for dry pavement and studded tires for snow/ice.
    Seems like these posters covered the constructive part. If you're just looking for someone to give you a handy about your sweet new bike, you've gone about it all wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by likes_to_roam View Post
    I should pay for an ad? but your signature is an ad..."New & pre-owned Subaru sales in eastern PA. PM me!"
    Oddly enough, there is no "subarus for sale" section on MTBR's classifieds. You're really reaching here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Well sir, I disagree.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone who can appreciate the build already has a sufficient commuter.

I am afraid you won't get more than $500.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I need a used karate monkey real bad like. I will pay up to $5 K for this fine vehicle. ship asap and send the bill via western union.

Sincerely,

nigerian Prince who needs a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    Anyone who can appreciate the build already has a sufficient commuter.

I am afraid you won't get more than $500.
    Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. Even though I hope this will not be the case

AZ
    banned
    Put it on ebay no reserve. Let the market decide.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Put it on ebay no reserve. Let the market decide.
    I'm hoping to sell it in person, in state, no shipping, so that I know the buyer is satisfied and knows they have received exactly what they payed for. I'm new to selling custom builds, and just need some input to cross reference with what I think it's worth.

Also, I won't sell the bike without collecting what I have into it, so a reserve would be compulsory. I know I am limiting myself by only selling in state, but, again, first timer here, baby steps.

Good idea though, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm hoping to sell it in person, in state, no shipping, so that I know the buyer is satisfied and knows they have received exactly what they payed for. I'm new to selling custom builds, and just need some input to cross reference with what I think it's worth.

Also, I won't sell the bike without collecting what I have into it, so a reserve would be compulsory. I know I am limiting myself by only selling in state, but, again, first timer here, baby steps.

Good idea though, thanks.

Oh. So, good luck turning a profit on your parts-bin special, complete with inappropriate zip ties and electrical tape.

Now, please don't continue this thread, or create any more like it.

Advice?
    - skip the narrative. Nobody cares.
    1) pictures
    2) price
    3) parts list
    done

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I got my 96 Adroit Fuselage on EBay for $485. The seller spelled Klein, Klien.

It was NOS, size XL. Dude didn't get his money out of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Oh. So, good luck turning a profit on your parts-bin special, complete with inappropriate zip ties and electrical tape.

Now, please don't continue this thread, or create any more like it.

Advice?
    - skip the narrative. Nobody cares.
    1) pictures
    2) price
    3) parts list
    done
    Why are you forum prowlers so spiteful and mean tempered? You act like I'm forcing this bike on you personally. All the important parts are new, specifically ordered for this build. These aren't some bargain bin rejects.

There are no ferrule stops that will accommodate the nuvinci or any other full length housing on this frame. What would you suggest if zip ties and harmless black tape, are inappropriate?

Ok, cut the narrative, got it, good input. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Why are you forum prowlers so spiteful and mean tempered? You act like I'm forcing this bike on you personally. All the important parts are new, specifically ordered for this build. These aren't some bargain bin rejects.

There are no ferrule stops that will accommodate the nuvinci or any other full length housing on this frame. What would you suggest if zip ties and harmless black tape, are inappropriate?

Ok, cut the narrative, got it, good input. Thanks.
    Nobody is being mean spirited, it's just an absurd thread. Nobody gives a **** about your "ultimate commuter" that you're building to attempt to sell at a profit. It's a laughable idea in the first place, and your stupid video only reinforces that you seem like a bit of a toolbag.

Oh, and you might want to look into these.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast