mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New question here. Two Similar Giant's. Help me decide!

Anthem X 29er 4
    Trance X 29er 2

I'm some-what new to this sport so forgive my ignorance; I haven't ridden a mountain bike in about 10 years. They cost exactly the same(at least online they do), and have similar components with a few noticeable differences to my newbie eyes(suspension and shifter/derailleurs stand out). There are a plethora of Giant dealers in the area but not much else, so I've been looking almost exclusively at Giant. Still, if you have a better recommendation feel free to let me know and I'll look in to it.

I'm looking for a FS 29er that will require little upgrading as I improve and move on to more challenging trails. I'd prefer to spend the extra cash for something higher quality rather than buying a $1000 bike and selling it in a year or two for a better replacement.

Are there some major differences or does the decision depend more on which bike I think looks cooler

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Anthem = four inch travel suspension
    Trance = five inch travel suspension

Anthem = more cross country oriented geometry
    Trance = more trail oriented geometry

Best bet is to see if you can demo both and see which fits your ride style and comfort. I have an Anthem because I'm more of a XC type rider, not into big drops or jumps that a 5" travel bike would soak up better. I also commute to work on the road on my bike so that was something that came into consideration for me.

All that said, both bikes are very capable and I doubt you could go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Smudge13 makes great points!
    I have the Trance X 29er 1 and am completly thrilled with it thus far. I was on a nice 26 inch Iron Horse so this has taken some getting used to but is hands down an epic bike for me. I ride mostly tight single track in Utah with a lot of elevation change and couldnt be happier with the way the bike climbs and continue to build a ton of confidence going down! Demo if you can but i would say you cant go wrong on either bike!