mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Turner Czar vs Tallboy3 (Is the Czar still a good option?)

Hi - there were a number of posts a few years back relating to the Turner Czar vs other short travel 29ers. Looking for an update in 2017!

I'm wondering if the Czar is still an awesome option compared to the newer breed of longer/slacker 29ers? (Specifically the Tallboy3)

I'm looking for a FS 29er for all endurance XC events and all round trail (I like to ride up mountains as well as well as down).

Thanks in advance

Elitest thrill junkie
    What do the geometry values tell you? I got a pivot 429sl for the same, but I would have gone with the czar if the price was right. The open front triangle begs for a frame bag. If you are the kind that likes to upgrade bikes every 6 mo, it's not the bike for you. Turners usually nail the ride features for years with balanced characteristics.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Put a 120 fork on the Czar and you should have what you want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks for the thoughts guys - and yes Pivot 429 in the mix as well (but Tallboy the only bike I've been able to demo). And that is the challenge - Czar looks awesome but I woudl not be able to demo one before purchase.

And no, I don't change up bikes often....in fact this will be the first foray into FS!

The component spec on the Czar also looks top notch - and makes the Santa Cruz spec look very $$$.

Thanks again

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Tallboy is a much more modern design. The XXL Czar has the same reach as a large tallboy. I run a 130 fork on my tallboy and it is amazingly capable. Plus it has a lifetime warranty

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I won't be much help, but I just ordered an XL blue Czar frame last Friday. It was an impulse buy that I couldn't resist with 33% off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Have not ridden the TB3 but own a Czar 1.1.

TB3 is more a ground-up trail bike than the Czar. Czar is more setup-dependent; with a 120/34+mm fork, it comfortably handles trail duty, with the obvious limitation of 100mm travel. For a great climber that lurches forward with the slightest pedal input, goes all day with aplomb and maneuvers well in tight spaces, the Czar feels remarkably capable down steep and rough terrain. DWL is firm and fun/poppy; I leave the shock fully open almost all the time.

+1 for Jayem's comment on the open triangle – one reason I got it.

Unless 275+ is part of the plan, and by your description, a Czar would work well for your needs. I rode one for an hour near Turner Bikes and got one afterward. A year later, zero regret. I've nailed a couple of 8-9 hr rides and shorter circuit times that formerly eluded me, and look forward to loading it up for AZT/CT type fun.

mtbr member
    I'd rather have the TB3, but I'd probably run it in plus version... so not much help. I'm onboard with the new geo trends myself, as I find it very comfortable without many tradeoffs. Not that the Czar isn't a fine bike too. - Personal preference.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Good for you! It's a good deal - I think I'll likely be doing the same!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Have not ridden the TB3 but own a Czar 1.1.

TB3 is more a ground-up trail bike than the Czar. Czar is more setup-dependent; with a 120/34+mm fork, it comfortably handles trail duty, with the obvious limitation of 100mm travel. For a great climber that lurches forward with the slightest pedal input, goes all day with aplomb and maneuvers well in tight spaces, the Czar feels remarkably capable down steep and rough terrain. DWL is firm and fun/poppy; I leave the shock fully open almost all the time.

+1 for Jayem's comment on the open triangle – one reason I got it.

Unless 275+ is part of the plan, and by your description, a Czar would work well for your needs. I rode one for an hour near Turner Bikes and got one afterward. A year later, zero regret. I've nailed a couple of 8-9 hr rides and shorter circuit times that formerly eluded me, and look forward to loading it up for AZT/CT type fun.
    Bingo. It happens to be a good looking bike too
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Thanks @She&I - appreciate the comments. The czar is under serious consideration!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Also, for endurance racing, you want to get as much weight off your back as possible, the traditional frame with the czar makes this a little easier.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ridetheridge View Post
    It happens to be a good looking bike too
    Agreed!

(Straighten out the downtube routing, lazyboy.)

Of course looks are only skin deep...

Czar action 1
    Czar action 2
    Czar action 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Endurance racing: Czar holds two bottles. Yes, one is under the downtube where crap splatters it, but it's a nice option to hold a bottle and swap tops.

I sold my Large Czar because with a 120mm Fox 34 it made the already-short reach even shorter and the seat angle too slack for my needs. Many have no issues.

Owned the frame without test riding since Turner release. Fast awesome durable. But I'm faster on a 120mm rear travel bike with much longer reach which allows a shorter stem which in turns makes ME faster overall due to saved energy. I'd never go back to a 100mm fork on a Czar, and if the reach was longer and/or the 120 fork geo worked for me I'd be on a Czar several more years.

mtbr member
    Westin what are you riding now? I sold my Czar 4-5 months ago and have been stuck between the 100mm and 120mm rear travel debate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
    Westin what are you riding now? I sold my Czar 4-5 months ago and have been stuck between the 100mm and 120mm rear travel debate.
    I purchased several new bikes, none of them 100mm rear. My strava segments over the 30 days proved, without a doubt, my times were either faster or the same, never any slower, but my heart rate was lower and the perceived effort lower. I was much more refreshed at the end of a short rough segment and/or less fatigued after a long day in the saddle. I still ride a carbon 29er HT from time to time, but a 100mm rear FS 29er for me is in no-man's land when it comes to fun, speed, and overall enjoyment.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. Which 120mm rear travel bike did you end up with to replace the Czar?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    2016 Trek Fuel EX and a Devinci Django 29er and last week I helped family member buy 2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.8. He's not a Trek fanboy, but says for the money the 9.8 may be his best all around trailbike for his needs. I really like my django even if it is heavier by about half pound. Adjustable geometry, stuper stiff. Customer service is not the best, though. I wouldn't buy a django frame at msrp cuz too many lighter options but on sale it's a good option. All things being equal in terms of price, especially, I'd be on a new Fuel EX but their frames are $$$$ for me. The reach number on django and new Fuel EX are so nice!
    Was leaning toward Pivot or Ripley LS cuz I'm a DW fanboy, but their geometries are way too short even for my 5'10"/32" pant inseam.