Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Turner Czar Build Thread

I got it!!!! I got one!!!!! I'm pumped! This is a very sexy bike!

mtbr member
    So I'm starting the build thread at the bottom bracket, I'll post pics as I go through the build, if anyone has questions, post up, I'll do the best I can to answer them.

Oh, frame details, it's a large, and on my digital scale, it's 5.57 lbs. That includes all the hardware that comes with the frame. Three of the screws, for a dropper seatpost, I wont be using.

So here goes, the Bottom Bracket is a PF30. Press fit 30.. Not a BB30.. There is a difference as I discovered. This is the BB I decided to go with..

It's sealed too..

So here's what you need to install one..

That blue goop is like a sand filled grease. I guess the idea is that it "bites" into the carbon to keep it from slipping/creaking.. It'll go on the bottom bracket surface area, the headset, and the seatpost. I actually do have some experience with this on my roadbike.. without this or a carbon paste, seatposts slide down, and EVERYTHING creaks! With, it's all good.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm fairly certain you are NOT supposed to put this anywhere near a pressed in part, such as a BB.

mtbr member
    I've discovered over the years there's more than one way to skin a cat.. That being said, I personally like a creak free bike. Headsets, BB's and pedals are often the culprit, and most the time, I track it down to a dry contact area. So, for my personal bike, I like the lube. But, I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again..

So here, I prep the BB Shell with a little sandy lube...

For the BB Shell, it is "sealed" with an o ring.. I still like to add a little layer of white wheel bearing grease. Makes things smoother and when you're pressing in the shell, you're not fighting the two halves.

I like to line up the writing on the outside to where I want to see it.. it's not moving once it's in there..

Make sure the shell of the BB is fitting over the other side, you don't want them pushing against each other..

Then take your handy dandy headset press, and line it up.. make sure the cups are going in nice and straight..

At the end, they should be nice and flush..no gaps around the outside. If you have pressed in a headset, you can do this bottom bracket, it's pretty simple.

Ta Dah!!!!

mtbr member
    Sweet...

Your Best Friend
    This is going to be the longest build thread ever. I still like it though.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    I enjoy these slow build threads with lots of pictures and details. Keep it up. A few teaser pics for what's next would do you no harm.

Formerly of Kent
    Had mixed feelings about Turner before this, but wow, they knocked it out of the park with this one. Amazingly beautiful machine, man.

mtbr member
    So I got the cranks in the mail today.. here we go..

First, if you're putting a BB30 crank on, check to see how it goes in, it will save you some time, you-tube has a ton of videos. The Enduro PF30 has dust seals, if you're using the FSA cranks, these need to come off. The FSA cranks have a step in their version to seat on the bearing race.

And make sure you put the supplied spacer on..

Here's what the step looks like..

That spacer does not go on this set up, just the driveside spacer.

Lots of grease, slide it through, tighten up the bolt on the non drive side, and tighten the little allen to keep the non drive adjustment tight.

I was a little shocked at how tight the cranks felt, but, after spinning them a bit, they did loosen up. They have good clearance on both stays and look great!

mtbr member
    Next will be the Fork-n-headset..

Sorry it's slow, but, I think there's some good info for people who haven't built up a bike before. I'm also waiting on a couple things, so we'll get to them when we can.

I'm building up the wheels, do you guys want me to include the wheel build?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Baller pimp build that's for sure
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutty View Post
    I enjoy these slow build threads with lots of pictures and details. Keep it up. A few teaser pics for what's next would do you no harm.
    Likewise.

OP, keep postin'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    yes please... great info

Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post

Sorry it's slow, but, I think there's some good info for people who haven't built up a bike before. I'm also waiting on a couple things, so we'll get to them when we can.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Great! A bunch of Turner homers are pleasuring themselves right now Awesome bike! Where did you buy it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Definitely include the wheel build. Great thread. Can't have too many pics or details

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

usually cranky
    almost seems like a pity to take that out and scratch it up. really cool bb too, never seen one of those.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I went with a Shimano double, and it fit perfectly using the Wheels Mfg/Enduro adapter without any spacers.

I was skeptical of any adapter system, but I've put over 50 hours on it, and not a peep.

I used the lightest coating of Bel-Ray waterproof grease for assembly, which probably violates all sorts of rules, but it was what I had (and what I've used for decades for everything), and I was itching to get on the trail that same day!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    On your fork, are you using one with a 51mm offset? (The one patented by Trek but is now on the new Ibis Ripley also. It allows for the slacker head angle but keeps the wheelbase shorter and more responsive). I'd read a couple of articles where it was mentioned that the Turner Czar was going to use it too but I didn't see it on their website.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by southacres View Post
    On your fork, are you using one with a 51mm offset? (The one patented by Trek but is now on the new Ibis Ripley also. It allows for the slacker head angle but keeps the wheelbase shorter and more responsive). I'd read a couple of articles where it was mentioned that the Turner Czar was going to use it too but I didn't see it on their website.
    Nope, Basic Fox CID 120.. The one thing I really liked about this Czar when taking my little test ride is it was nimble and quick with out any aftermarket changes. Soon as my headset arrives, we'll get to the front end!

Side note I'm out of my sling now! So hopefully, I'll be able to throw a leg over this thing when I get the wheels done. Rims are shipping tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nope, Basic Fox CID 120.. The one thing I really liked about this Czar when taking my little test ride is it was nimble and quick with out any aftermarket changes. Soon as my headset arrives, we'll get to the front end!

Side note I'm out of my sling now! So hopefully, I'll be able to throw a leg over this thing when I get the wheels done. Rims are shipping tomorrow!
    120, huh? Please report back on that. I find mine so perfect at 100, that I had kind of decided not to even test at 120. But it's easy to change that!

Now, and with apologies to Ronnie Montrose, get on that bad motor scooter and ride!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Very interested in the 120mm also. I have an 08 Sultan with a 95-120 talas. At the low setting the the fork is in harmony with the bike. I only use the tall setting when things get rough and head downhill. When running at 120 the front end though, the handling is a bit floppy for my taste. I'm wondering if the Czar will exhibit these same traits.

mtbr member
    Well, if I don't like it, I can shorten the travel. I rode one with 100mm and if felt great.. the 120 is a safety blanket for me on some of the rough stuff I like to ride. I'm going from a 5 Spot to a Czar, so the travel may be a shock to the system for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great thread. Keep it coming.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Looking forward to the rest of the build - Hopefully I'll be starting mine at the end of the month.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Tahoe29er

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast