Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    As far as the 120.. I recommend it. This is as quick or quicker handling than any 26er I've ever had. The run down Meadows is single track, switchbacks, loose off camber corners. I had no pushing issues of any sort through any of the corners, which tells me the bike is well balanced. I'm really happy with the feel of the bike.

Check the ride report I've been doing as well. I think you'll like the 120.

RR: Turner Carbon Czar

mtbr member
    Excellent write up and thread. My current trail bike is a Tallboy AL v1 with plans to move up to a Tallboy C v2 next year, but after seeing the Czar, the waters are muddy. Beautiful bike and I love the orange. Unfortunately, the closest Turner dealer and demo ride is 6 hours away in Miami.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hey Yamadan, Have you changed the spokes on your wheels yet? Wondering what you think of the DT Revolutions spokes

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    As far as the 120.. I recommend it. This is as quick or quicker handling than any 26er I've ever had. The run down Meadows is single track, switchbacks, loose off camber corners. I had no pushing issues of any sort through any of the corners, which tells me the bike is well balanced. I'm really happy with the feel of the bike.

Check the ride report I've been doing as well. I think you'll like the 120.

RR: Turner Carbon Czar
    I'm leaning hard towards trying the 120. A little worried about bar height, but I suspect I would adjust quickly.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauffy View Post
    Hey Yamadan, Have you changed the spokes on your wheels yet? Wondering what you think of the DT Revolutions spokes
    I did, I dropped 97 grams per wheel. They're great! The rims are already stiff, so in my opinion, you don't need super stiff spokes. The wheels are plenty stiff with this setup.

I'm gonna play with some other things, my goal is to get in the 24 pound range. Right now with the XT build, I'm solid in the 25 pound range. With the higher end XTR parts I would have been looking for 23 pounds! LOL It never ends!!

mtbr member
    Ok, 500 miles later, I can honestly say this is the best mountain bike I've ever ridden. I did the San Jaun trail today, have never ridden a 29er on it for fear of the switchbacks. No need to fear with the Czar!! It has *****en bike handling characteristics! Cleaned all the switchbacks save the one in the middle section, that was more me running out of talent than the bike. Though the ruts, the Czar was precise..you need that to avoid whacking cranks on the side and the rocks. It was calm and predictable though pretty much anything the trail trough at me. Popping up on ledges, dropping off of then, the front end was planted in every situation, even to the point of I put the front wheel in a berm/rut on a switchback, and my momentum launched me off the side! LOL I ran it out. No harm to the Czar, well, a grip got chewed.. So the next big ride is Cannel Plunge Saturday.. I'll post up more then!

mtbr member
    Just got back from Kernville.. I did both the Cannel Plunge and Just Outstanding bike trails on the Czar.

Any questions on "can the Czar be an awesome trail bike" were laid to rest. I was able to solicit disparaging words of disbelief as I came through a rocky switchback on the lower section of the Plunge from a group on long travel bikes walking the section..

I think that was the best part.. he he..

Look for full ride report with some pics later..

Oh, and to quote a friend who was riding a Rip RDO.. "Your bike just feels like an extension of you when you're riding it.. mine I feel like I'm riding on top of it..."

There was some serious Czar envy going on!!

Love love love this bike!!

mtbr member

There was some serious Czar envy going on!!!
    Yeah I've got a bit of that myself. Your reports aren't helping.

The Czar keeps looking better and better to me. Can't wait to ride one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Great build thread. Your rig looks great, and I'm sure it's a blast to ride. Enjoy.

Crazed Country Rebel
    I set the derailleur set screws before I put the chain on.. just easier to do that way...

Hi and low on the rear..

Then high and low on the front.

I bottom out both shifters, pulling the cable tight, and tighten the end nut.

I click through to make sure I have travel on both the front and the rear, then I click to big big.. I want to make sure the chain will reach. You can also go small small, and pull so the rear cage on the rear derailleur just put tension on it, but I like big big tight. As it worked out, no need to remove links. Woot!

Make sure when putting on the 10 speed chain, you have the lettering out.

It's easy to miss this..

BAD

GOOD

Push the pin in with a chin tool til it clicks. Snap off the guide pin with some pliers, and spin through the gears. Make sure they all work.

Back to the front wheel, the adjustment is a little tougher than the rear. remove the little cover, and adjust the QR15 axle to your desired position. Put the cover back.

Next, get your 5mm, 4mm, 4mm torque and 3mm allens. Use the 4mm torque on the bars and anything spec-ing 5nm..stem..

take each allen and go through the bike one bolt at a time and make sure everything is tight. Once you're done with the 5mm, go to the 4mm...and so on.

Check the cranks and the pedals.. You get the idea.

Ok, Im going to bed, tomorrow we'll tackle sag!

Here's what she looks like now..

Rode her around a little to get the creaks out of the wheels.. she's really nice.

I'll get the seat adjusted and get the sag set, and we should be good!!

Just now reading your thread. I love negative rise stems and riser bars, with a little bit of over fork! Killer for the ups and the downs!
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Excellent idea with the cotton tape. One suggestion, maybe you can take the cable guide off, wrap the chain stay and use a Xacto blade or pointed spoke to poke a hole through the tape and put the guide back on? Just seems like it'd look a bit cleaner.
    I copied YamaDan's cotton tape idea, but under the cable guides like gmats suggested. I like it!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Looks good! Going to have to do something like that on my Czar.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone! Loving this bike! Over 1k on it.. Still can't get over how good it is!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Significant other's significant birthday...

Shiny present:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Czar Build Thread-20140412_czar_0214.jpg  

Turner Czar Build Thread-20140412_czar_0213.jpg  

Turner Czar Build Thread-20140412_czar_0209.jpg  

Turner Czar Build Thread-20140412_czar_0208.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Just built -

Turner Czar Build Thread-dscf6340.jpg

So just built up...night ride this evening! Very excited Though still waiting on my new wheels and forks...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Enduro PF30 has dust seals, if you're using the FSA cranks, these need to come off. The FSA cranks have a step in their version to seat on the bearing race.
    EDIT: never mind. I tried the Sram and it was terribly tight. Enduro caps it is.

But leaving for others:

I've got the same BB, and just bought a Sram X0 crank to run the Czar single ring. Any idea which dust caps to use (my options are below -- SRAM left, Enduro right)? I'm not seeing anything in either the SRAM nor Wheels Manufacturing install manuals.

I tried first with the Enduro caps and I'm not impressed with how smoothly the scrank spins. I'll try the SRAM caps tonight, but it doesn't seem like I should be guessing here.

Last edited by matto6; 07-15-2014 at 06:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    EDIT: never mind. I tried the Sram and it was terribly tight. Enduro caps it is.

But leaving for others:

I've got the same BB, and just bought a Sram X0 crank to run the Czar single ring. Any idea which dust caps to use (my options are below -- SRAM left, Enduro right)? I'm not seeing anything in either the SRAM nor Wheels Manufacturing install manuals.

I tried first with the Enduro caps and I'm not impressed with how smoothly the scrank spins. I'll try the SRAM caps tonight, but it doesn't seem like I should be guessing here.

Yeah I'm not running either. I ended up just running the bearing without the Wheels seal.. way smoother.

tg
    mtbr member
    I'll play....My XL Czar.Best race/trail bike I have ever owned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turner Czar Build Thread-photo%25203-18.jpg  

Turner Czar Build Thread-photo-126.jpg  

Turner Czar Build Thread-photo%25202-36.jpg  

Turner Czar Build Thread-photo-120.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi there,
    I have read your whole thread and I must congratulate you on it.
    I like the Abec 5 angular contact and I want to build with Shimano XT 24x38, You know if I need the conversion kit no. 2 chris king?
    https://www.turnerbikes.com/turner-p..._PFBB_info.pdf
    Thanks for responding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonsote View Post
    Hi there,
    I have read your whole thread and I must congratulate you on it.
    I like the Abec 5 angular contact and I want to build with Shimano XT 24x38, You know if I need the conversion kit no. 2 chris king?
    https://www.turnerbikes.com/turner-p..._PFBB_info.pdf
    Thanks for responding.
    try the Praxis Works conversion BB, they work fine with Shimano crank!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks good, I will try it.

Thanks, xuzuohang.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4