Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    Old habits die hard... I used to race DH and on two different occasions, we lost chains due to QL failures on our DH run's.. didn't play well with the chain guide. Once it cost me a win..literally..not maybe, really took first place from my grasp. It's so so hard to win on a national level, but that 2nd place, breaking that chain 100 yards from the finish... hurts still.

Since then, always used a pin.
    Having shared your pain of being "First Loser!" several times, I hear you.

Whining completed. Time for a ride on the Czar!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

get down!
    I bet it takes a long time for you to get ready for a ride. ;-)
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Ok.. gonna take her out for a little spin.. I don't know if I'll do dirt, I'm 9 weeks post surgery on a clavicle, but, I need to ride it!!

So, I weigh 175lbs ready to ride (RTR).. For the Turner, the rear sag is supposed to be set at 10mm. Thats RTR in riding position, with the front sag set as well. Fox calls for 25% sag..so for the 120 fork, between 25-30mm.. I'm gonna let the fork sag a bit in the travel because I'm running a 120 and the Czar is set for a 100. I'm guessing, it wont be an issue.

Sag is easier to set than you might think. Most people I've seen, never spend that much time setting sag. Start with this, with a sharpie, mark where you want your sag. A dot a small line, it's doesn't matter.. Ride your bike around, and keep pulling the o rings on the shocks back .. ride over stuff, jump some curbs. stop a couple times. Set the o rings one more time, then roll to a stop, don't hit the brake, just smoothly roll to a stop, un-weight the bike, and check sag.. do this a few times..til you get it right. Seems mundane, but, you will thank me for a properly set up bike later!

Rebound, kinda a personal thing, but, set it so the shock comes back slower than you think it should.

Oh, and make sure you're setting sag when the bike is in the "softest" position on the shock.

So for me, I'm starting at 70lbs in the fork, 150lbs in the rear shock.

Check the sag again for a couple rides, everything will settle in.. I think that's it for now..

I feel like I'm forgetting something...

mtbr member
    I feel like I'm forgetting something...
    Oh weight!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    I bet it takes a long time for you to get ready for a ride. ;-)
    LOL!! You would think huh!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice build...can't wait for ride reports
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    What a great thread! Fantastic looking bike!

mtbr member
    So I took it out for a little shake down ride..

I'm recovering from an encounter with a deer, and he won. So today I'm 9 weeks post op.. so, per the wife and Dr, no mountain biking.. I have however done a little road riding the past couple of days pain free, so I'll just take a little road ride, make sure everything fits..

The first thing I noticed was the seat needed a small amount of adjustment. Also, the FOX CTD shocks work really well, I pretty much stayed in Trail mode. As expected, works great with the frame.

So I got to Aliso and decided to go in... I'll just ride the main road in a little.. switched the shocks to D mode, to keep it as plush as possible..

The carbon rims are STIFF!! Need to play with the tire pressures. The Czar wants to go.. I was running about 11.5 mph pace.. usually I'm in the 9's 10 on a good day.. and I really wasn't pushing..

I stopped at the bottom of Cholla, next time..

On the way out I almost crapped myself!!!

Beast!!!

35.7 miles later I'm uploading pics for you guys!

Everything is tight and shifts well. The brakes don't rub, and the seat is finally adjusted right.

Now I need to heal up a bit more then I'll give it a sound thrashing.. but for now, I made a GREAT choice for my first 29er!!

Hope you guys liked the build!

mtbr member
    Again, man......fantastic build thread. We would be lucky as members if every build thread was done like this one. You held my interest, provided great photos, inserted witty and helpful commentary. No joke.....if I was a noob to wrenching, this thread would have given me the confidence to attempt one. I did an Orbea build thread last year that just really pales in comparison. Out of curiosity, do you, or have you worked in a shop? Things like setting the rear mech limits prior to chain install scream professional to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sweet build, shoulda took it up cholla, down rock it, up Mathis, down lynx... That woulda been a proper break in ride... Although your clavicle would not have been happy! Sweet ride, I love Turners.

mtbr member
    Once you're healed up, give that thing a proper flogging and report back. This frame is really tempting me. Did you ever post the final weight?

usually cranky
    i know my way around a bike pretty well but this thread definitely helped me out a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    Again, man......fantastic build thread. We would be lucky as members if every build thread was done like this one. You held my interest, provided great photos, inserted witty and helpful commentary. No joke.....if I was a noob to wrenching, this thread would have given me the confidence to attempt one. I did an Orbea build thread last year that just really pales in comparison. Out of curiosity, do you, or have you worked in a shop? Things like setting the rear mech limits prior to chain install scream professional to me.
    Thank you very much. Far too kind. My back ground is I ran a mountain bike team 96 - 02.. built a lot of bikes, and raced a bit as well.

I honestly just tried to remember all the little things I've picked up along the way. Mistakes I've made, and how I try and keep from making them again.

Never worked in a shop though..

You should see my track bike build a few years back! Yamaha R6 That was fun!

Here's the bike getting used

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice job, nice bike and thanks for the painstaking picture taking. Very cool

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great report. Get well soon, and post some pics
    when you get some dirt on it.

banned
    Jan 2013
    the FOX CTD shocks work really well, I pretty much stayed in Trail mode.
    CTD fox on my bike as well, after 6 months of experimenting with them i tend to run in trail mode about 90%.

I reach down and drop the fork into climb mode for switch backs and super steep stuff. Ive found for me climb mode on the rear is overkill and havent bothered since the first month.

I will drop into descend front and back on some stuff. It is really nice to have the option to go plush for sure. How ever subtle the difference is between descend and trail, my bike definitely corners better in trail mode so my choice of when to go plush is dictated by the snakes in the trail more than steepness or chunk.

VERY nice bike, ty for sharing the build.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thorough write up, thanks! Congrats on the ride...

What carbon rims did you go with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbnmissile View Post
    Thorough write up, thanks! Congrats on the ride...

What carbon rims did you go with?
    I got the one's from here, Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

The rims are really nice! I am gonna rebuild them though with lighter spokes, my wheelbuilder built them with straight gauge and they're heaver than I expected. I think I'll be able to take around 3/4 of a pound out by using lighter spokes.

MTB B'dos
    Who's your wheel builder? Unless you weigh north of 250lbs I can't see the why of using straight spokes, heck I think DB spokes build up easier and better than straight spokes to be honest, love me some DT Swiss Comps.

I got the one's from here, Wider carbon mountain 29er rims clincher(tubeless-compatible) Light-Bicycle

The rims are really nice! I am gonna rebuild them though with lighter spokes, my wheelbuilder built them with straight gauge and they're heaver than I expected. I think I'll be able to take around 3/4 of a pound out by using lighter spokes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    OK, so 99.2 miles later, loving the Czar! Been almost all pavement due to shoulder issues, but, I have been told by the Dr that I'm healing well, and as long as I don't crash on it, I'm not going to hurt it, so....

Yesterday I did 3150 vertical. As you'd expect, the bike is fast. I did the ride with a buddy on his road bike.. He has nick named the bike "Orange Crush." I had zero issues maintaining a 22 mph "easy" pace on the road. On the climb, I dropped him with out issue. This bike is FAST! Here's the ride:

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 32miles near Lake Forest | Times and Records | Strava

So, I'm a mile off 100.. here's the next build tip..

Check everything to make sure it's tight. Same as before, start with your 3mm, and work your way up.

Cranks are a biggie here.

Derailleur cables stretch, so readjust them as needed. Just a couple turns at the bars should be good.

Clean and lube the chain.

Check the head set. With the bike on the ground, grab the front brake and rock the bike back and forth, grab the top of the headset and feel for movement. Adjust if needed.

Check the spoke tension, it should feel about the same all the way around.

Now go ride some more! I am! This bike is awesome! or for you guys on the East coast, this bike is Wicked awesome!

mtbr member
    Fixed the bandwidth issues, you should be able to see the pics again... darn Photobucket.

Ride report here:

RR: Turner Carbon Czar

Living the Dream
    What is your air compressor set up? Looks better than what I have. Also, what rims are you using?
    Thanks. Bike looks fabulous.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    What is your air compressor set up? Looks better than what I have. Also, what rims are you using?
    Thanks. Bike looks fabulous.
    Check out post #68 for the rims, the compressor is just a Husky from Home Depot, I attached an old presta valve to the airgun attachment. Works great!

mtbr member
    277 miles later I can say this IS the best bike I've ever had. It's faster on the flats with little effort.. and It just begs to be ridden. I did Meadows for the first time since my broken clavicle, and first time on this bike, just cruising, even paused for a hiker, and still managed a 4 min flat.. I think my best time was a 3:51.. So without pushing it, I was able to get within 9 seconds...nice!

So follow up with the build, since the wheels are built up, I like to check the spoke tension. Work your way around the wheel, if they feel tight, just true the wheel. If they feel loose, work your way around the rim tightening in 1/8th turn increments. Recheck the spokes.

I cleaned off the dirt, gave it a coat of quickwax, and tensioned the spokes.. the rest of the bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How is the 120 fork working out? I'm running 100, and some hand issues are pointing me at a 120, but I don't want to pull the trigger without hearing firsthand that the handling, balance, etc. remain fine.

It is SO good with the 100, but just too harsh on many of my "backyard" trails.

Thanks!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast