mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Tufo makes some real mtb tubulars.

http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/directsales.php

The above link takes you to Tufo's new tubular mtb tires and wheels. They are 26 inch right now. Interesting though....

Sorry if this has already been posted.

Recovering couch patato
    If it was posted, then 4-5 years ago...these have been around for quite some time.

You try and try to talk business sense into them, I gave up, and I was their distributor...

In FTF We Trust
    It seems like what with the march of tubeless technology that tubeless mtb tires are a moot point now. They may ride nice and won't pinch flat, but if you cut one you're pretty much hoofin' it out of wherever you're riding unless you carry a spare tire le-tour style around your arms whenever you ride...
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by el-cid
    It seems like what with the march of tubeless technology that tubeless mtb tires are a moot point now. They may ride nice and won't pinch flat, but if you cut one you're pretty much hoofin' it out of wherever you're riding unless you carry a spare tire le-tour style around your arms whenever you ride...
    But the road tubbies ride soooo nice. If they rode that nice MTB, I would seriously consider it.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Although the TUFO elite cross tubulars might not be the state of the art, they last forever, and can be ran at low pressures.
    How about 4 or more years (30 races?) on the same tire?
    Tire has been flattened but with a little goo the things keep going. A 52 mm 700C would be awesome , but what rim would hold it?

Recovering couch patato
    It would take a specific ~28mm wide rim. I want to have rimstrips made that widen a 20mm tubular rim to the MTB-proof 28mm. Who'll do it for (or with) me?

If sure it's ride great, just wonder what will match the speed of a goo-tubeless MTB tire setup.
    Tubular CAN pinch flat though, it's happened to me. It; innertube+tire, just put together differently. I want to explore tube-less tubulars, with goo it should be doable, and insanely quick.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Why would you wan,t to make a 28 mm tubular rim, if there are no tires for it?
    The lightest , easiest way would be to use carbon fibre tape and bond that around the rim. I considered doimg that for my cross tubulars to give them more hold.
    Bring me the tire and I frankenstein a rim together!
    BTW, I would never experiment with stuff I use on the road, or where I risc other riders health.
    PS I tried once to mount a 29 tire over a tubular rim to see if a tubular could be sown from that. ERD would not let me. (I think it was too tight.)

Recovering couch patato
    Tires are a matter of cutting up a Karma 1.9 and sending it to Dugast to be stuck on the largest casing they'll make.

The beads of a 700c tire are made to fit IN the 700c rim. the tubular 700c is the same outer diameter I think, thus the beads will have to be cut out.
    Tubular get their advantage from the way the carcass is woven, I sem to have heard.