mtbr member
    Apr 2004

tubeless + v brakes?

as the title suggests my tweenyneeners still have a v-brake in the back.

i need to build a new rear wheel and would love to get with the modern tubeless technology out back but still need a brake track.

any decent options out there?

thanks!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Stan's Ironcross, Alpha 400, or 355 (if you can find one) would be my first suggestion.
    I've also had luck setting up Velocity Dyads, Sun CR18 & EQ21, and Salsa Delgado Cross tubeless.

hispanic mechanic
    So, depending on your riding needs, you may be able to use one of these.
    Otherwise, you might be able to find a NOS Bontrager Mustang and the TLR strip to go with it.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have seen the stans cross rim in person and while AWESOMELY light it looked like i could chew through that brake track in one muddy downhill.

plus weighing 220lbs i think i definitely need something a little more durable.

i have had decent luck with the delgado cross in the past (although i have destroyed a couple) maybe i'll look into that! it was my original rear rim on one bike but i finally went with something a little wider.

are we sure all mustang rims ever made have a brake track (it is hard to tell from pictures i can find) for example if i were to buy these:

Bontrager Mustang 29" Wheelset Set Up Tubeless with Bontrager Expert Tires | eBay

these could be run with v-brakes fo sho?

for example i know the older wtb dual duty had a nice brake track but newer ones are disc only...

thanks!

hispanic mechanic

tubeless + v brakes?

I have 4 with brake tracks, all with thousands of miles on them. If you can find one, I think that will suit your needs.
    Jens Voight

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    i need to build a new rear wheel and would love to get with the modern tubeless technology out back but still need a brake track.

any decent options out there?
    I've been running tubeless with V-brakes since before there was commercial tubeless conversion (i.e. - before Stan's kit). I've successfully used the following: Bontrager Mustang, Mavic Open Pro, Mavic Ksyrium, DT Swiss TK7.1, IRD Cadence, and Velocity A23. For a rear wheel, I've been happy with both the Bontrager and the DT Swiss, but next rear wheel build will likely be on the Velocity A23 -- built up so nice for the front. I do the ghetto split-tube-as-a-rimstrip tubeless setup. My only issues with tubeless and V-brake is that you get sucked into running tires with lower pressure and I end up dinging sidewalls and the brakes then pulsate. In the last year I've got my hands on a "rim wrench" that allows dings and flat spots in rims to be levered out and have salvaged several rims that way.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

hispanic mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    I've been running tubeless with V-brakes since before there was commercial tubeless conversion (i.e. - before Stan's kit). I've successfully used the following: Bontrager Mustang, Mavic Open Pro, Mavic Ksyrium, DT Swiss TK7.1, IRD Cadence, and Velocity A23. For a rear wheel, I've been happy with both the Bontrager and the DT Swiss, but next rear wheel build will likely be on the Velocity A23 -- built up so nice for the front. I do the ghetto split-tube-as-a-rimstrip tubeless setup. My only issues with tubeless and V-brake is that you get sucked into running tires with lower pressure and I end up dinging sidewalls and the brakes then pulsate. In the last year I've got my hands on a "rim wrench" that allows dings and flat spots in rims to be levered out and have salvaged several rims that way.
    D'oh!!! Totally forgot to mention the A23! I built a pair of these for my CX bike, and was very pleased with them. Set up tubeless pretty easily, even with non-tubeless-ready CX tires (Clement PDX.)
    So, yes on the A23 as a very viable option for a rim brake, tubeless-ifiable rim.

Los
    Jens Voight

mtbr member
    WTB has redesigned all their rims for 2013, and while they do not list the Dual Duty rim as a TCS rim it has almost the exact same profile now. Gone is the deep center channel that made seating difficult. It's nice and wide at 23mm internally, but it is heavy at around 600g. But it is a v-brake compatible rim and with just tape and valves should work great tubeless. Since your a Clyde, the weight shouldn't be too big of a deal.

http://www.wtb.com/pdf/catalogs/WTB_2013_Catalogue.pdf
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mustang Tubeless OSB all the way.

Kinetics Project - Wheel Builder
    Last edited by caseykelso; 02-12-2013 at 12:19 AM.