mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Tubeless Studded Tires

Arriving yesterday, I mounted a set of Nokian Gazza Extreme 294 29x2.1 studded tires to my Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels; with Bontrager's tubeless rim lining, and Stans sealant, 3oz in each tire. For those of you who don't know, Bontrager's Rhythm Comp wheels have offset spoke holes, the tubeless liner is a flexible but rigid liner that transforms the wheel into faux UST wheel. No issues with the sealant coming through a spoke hole.

Initial mounting went well. The tires are a heavier than typical tires so they're cumbersome to mount. After the front wheel the rear wheel was easier though.

Inflated to 60 PSI they didn't take long before they were whistling to me, various pin holes and pimples that grew around through the sidewalls, together there was only one pinhole along the rolling surface, next to a tread-lug. Rotating put the tire sealant to work which stopped the whistling instantly. Day two and I'm still getting pimples, although far fewer than yesterday.

At 60 PSI they're exactly 2" wide.

Good news, they're holding their bead quite well, overnight pimple popping deflated the tires, but they inflated quickly enough to identify and seal those holes as well.

I'm in upstate New York, with a foot of mashed potato-like snow on the ground with another foot to fall on us in the next couple of days. I'm going to take them out tonight so I'll a "first ride" report later today or tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The night ride was fun. Nothing better than a night ride with snow on the ground, you can see everything with the smallest amount of light. The studded tires were able to get several miles of compression that they require, upwards of 30 miles is recommended. I'll get around 75 to 90 miles in next week.

The snow was dense and about a foot deep in places, no issues getting through it...I could have had my mud tires on with similar results.

I want to try them on some snow covered ice to get some real test results though.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by SpartyBiker
    Arriving yesterday, I mounted a set of Nokian Gazza Extreme 294 29x2.1 studded tires to my Bontrager Rhythm Comp wheels; with Bontrager's tubeless rim lining, and Stans sealant, 3oz in each tire. For those of you who don't know, Bontrager's Rhythm Comp wheels have offset spoke holes, the tubeless liner is a flexible but rigid liner that transforms the wheel into faux UST wheel. No issues with the sealant coming through a spoke hole.

Initial mounting went well. The tires are a heavier than typical tires so they're cumbersome to mount. After the front wheel the rear wheel was easier though.

Inflated to 60 PSI they didn't take long before they were whistling to me, various pin holes and pimples that grew around through the sidewalls, together there was only one pinhole along the rolling surface, next to a tread-lug. Rotating put the tire sealant to work which stopped the whistling instantly. Day two and I'm still getting pimples, although far fewer than yesterday.

At 60 PSI they're exactly 2" wide.

Good news, they're holding their bead quite well, overnight pimple popping deflated the tires, but they inflated quickly enough to identify and seal those holes as well.

I'm in upstate New York, with a foot of mashed potato-like snow on the ground with another foot to fall on us in the next couple of days. I'm going to take them out tonight so I'll a "first ride" report later today or tomorrow morning.
    You're riding them at 60 psi tubeless?

I'll keep my fingers crossed they don't blow off your rims. Personally, I would suggest not going over 35-40 psi to keep them on your rims and not destroy the beads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    60 psi is insane! Sounds like a road ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It was a road ride.

It was a slow and deliberate ride to seat the carbide teeth into their rubber lugs.

I intend on riding around 35-45 PSI. The extra pressure was to identify any more pin holes, there were none following the break-in ride.