Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Closekids.com

Trying out the new Geax AKA 29er tomorrow

Just swapped out my back tire from an Aspen, which I really like and am trying the new AKA 29er. It looks very fast and a couple of guys on my team have liked it.

Hoping to get a bit better cornering and more confidence the tire won't flat over a rocky course this weekend.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

HTFU and Ride
    i am really thinking about swapping my older sagauro

looking forward to hearing how it works out
    Winter is coming.

mtbr member
    How is it size wise? the saguaros are BIG and won't fit in my Dos because they diameter is so big.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Cableb!tch: living, breathing proof you can be right and.still be a dick.

mtbr member
    Waiting with bated breath....
    These with a TNT bead will be exactly what I'm waiting for.

transmitter~receiver
    Where'd you get 'em? I just ordered a pair of Ikon's (only available in non-tubeless ready) cuz I couldn't find any AKAs and meltingfeather needs tread badly.
    Sorry... hack Gauntlet joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Short-Change-Hero
    Meltingfeather... where did you find the Ikons? I have looked around and haven't been able to find them anywhere. I am awaiting the reports from Twentynineinches on the AKA to see which one has less rolling resistance. I think for my terrain, mostly loose over hardpack, either will be perfect. Please get us real-world weights too!!!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Meltingfeather... where did you find the Ikons? I have looked around and haven't been able to find them anywhere.
    LBS is getting them from BTI if QBP doesn't have any.
    I am awaiting the reports from Twentynineinches on the AKA to see which one has less rolling resistance.
    A definite +1 for the AKA is the availability of TNT. I can't figure what Maxxis' deal is with missing the tubeless ready train completely and the rep(s) here ain't touching it. They got my business anyway with the new tread (you wouldn't catch me on an Ignitor or Crossmark) anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter, but if I tear a sidewall you can bet they're getting tossed for a pair of TNTs and that'll be that.
    I think for my terrain, mostly loose over hardpack, either will be perfect. Please get us real-world weights too!!!
    I'm the guy that maintains the 29er tire weight spreadsheet, so you can bet I'll hit it w/my new Maxxis treads as soon as I see 'em.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather
    LBS is getting them from BTI if QBP doesn't have any.

A definite +1 for the AKA is the availability of TNT. I can't figure what Maxxis' deal is with missing the tubeless ready train completely and the rep(s) here ain't touching it. They got my business anyway with the new tread (you wouldn't catch me on an Ignitor or Crossmark) anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter, but if I tear a sidewall you can bet they're getting tossed for a pair of TNTs and that'll be that.

I'm the guy that maintains the 29er tire weight spreadsheet, so you can bet I'll hit it w/my new Maxxis treads as soon as I see 'em.
    my two Ikons were 520.2, 513.4 - both regular casing prototypes.

FWIW - I ran Ignitors/Crossmarks just fine on Flows. Most reports on the TNT Saguaros indicate difficulty getting them on the Flows, let along getting them off trailside. Never tried it myself, don't own Flows anymore - but then again, I'm not in a thorn-prone area that requires tubeless so me and my big fat tubed Gordos are happy.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    FWIW - I ran Ignitors/Crossmarks just fine on Flows. Most reports on the TNT Saguaros indicate difficulty getting them on the Flows, let along getting them off trailside. Never tried it myself, don't own Flows anymore - but then again, I'm not in a thorn-prone area that requires tubeless so me and my big fat tubed Gordos are happy.
    I'm confused... was somebody talking about Flows?

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah little confused there too but I guess the Flows are the quintisential tubeless rim. I am in a thorn prone area (Northern Nevada Desert) so I need something that will have good sidewalls and will probably run tubeless starting out on either EQ27's or WTB Dual Duties (whatever I can find cheapest).

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    can't speak to flows but I can get the TNT saguaros on and off my UST XT wheels just fine, albeit they are tight. But they air up with a floor pump and no sealant and the sidewalls will likely survive the holocaust, and I've heard the non TNT set up tubeless just fine as well, though I've only tried the one I have tubed. Really looking forward to trying out AKA. Saguaros have pretty much become my favorite tire ever.
    - Simon

Harmonius Wrench
    Bike 29.com has IKON tires. He showed them on his blog today.

GEAX AKA folding bead: 690/700 grams
    GEAX AKA TNT: 730grams

(Just thought I'd help ya out there Meltingfeather )

more on these tires later...........

agu
    mtbr member
    My bro has a set of wire bead AKAs. I guess it uses a different durometer? I'll quiz him about it.

Short-Change-Hero
    Definitely do and see if you can get some weights for him. Reading this months MBAction magazine and the Kenda Slant Six 29" 2.2 look interesting too, Meant to be directly between the super fast rolling SB8 and the Gnarly Nevi... kinda a best of both worlds.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Bike 29.com has IKON tires. He showed them on his blog today.

GEAX AKA folding bead: 690/700 grams
    GEAX AKA TNT: 730grams

(Just thought I'd help ya out there Meltingfeather )

more on these tires later...........
    Awwww... thanks, but I don't see either for sale on the website.
    If the Ikons set-up & perform well tubeless the weight factor is going to be a big +1 for them. My TNT Saguaros weigh ~760g.

mtbr member
    If the Ikons set-up & perform well tubeless the weight factor is going to be a big +1 for them. My TNT Saguaros weigh ~760g.
    Which ones did you order? The Exo version, or non-Exo?
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

Closekids.com
    Finally following up. Had the AKA 29er Folding on a 09 RIP with AC Tubeless rims. Set up fine. The tire tread looks fantastic (came from SB8 to Aspen to AKA).

Bottom line is they are a little more beefy on the sidewalls, no noticeable speed disadvantage from the Aspen better cornering in twisty singletrack but with a weight penalty.

If I'm racing a mostly straight XC track, i will stick w/ the Aspen on the back. Anything else (and just riding for fun) I'll stick w/ the AKA.

Last word: If this tire looks like it will appeal to your riding style, you will not be disappointed.

PS. Geax sponsors our race team, that is how I got them.

Short-Change-Hero
    Pics of it on the rims if you dont mind... More interested in seeing what these look like than what the mfg "makes" them look like!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell
    Which ones did you order? The Exo version, or non-Exo?
    EXO

Closekids.com
    Here you go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trying out the new Geax AKA 29er tomorrow-img_1881.jpg  

Trying out the new Geax AKA 29er tomorrow-img_1882.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    Sweet.. TwentyNineInches just posted their first impressions review and seems pretty good. Think I may have to pick up a pair of these as they are really liking them and seems like it would be a good item for my riding terrain.

transmitter~receiver
    Sweet.. TwentyNineInches just posted their first impressions review and seems pretty good. Think I may have to pick up a pair of these as they are really liking them and seems like it would be a good item for my riding terrain.
    agreed.
    they're next in line after i struck out on getting a pair of IKONs
    i love my TNT Saguaros, but am looking to try something new just because and hopefully get a little weight savings.

Short-Change-Hero
    agreed.
    they're next in line after i struck out on getting a pair of IKONs
    i love my TNT Saguaros, but am looking to try something new just because and hopefully get a little weight savings.
    Only place I can find them on the net right now is Ben's Cycle at $40/ea... Not a bad price at all and just might have my LBS order me a set!

Boomin: Do you have the tires setup in speed or traction direction? I like how they have the ability to be setup in a "traction" specific direction. WOuld be nice to set them up in the speed orientation when I know that I am going on a trail that does not require a lot of traction. Even still seems that the traction specific direction does not have a lot of rolling resistance. These are just looking better and better!!!

Harmonius Wrench
    According to GEAX the supply in the U.S. is pretty limited right now. There are very few TNT versions left, maybe a handfull of folders. The next wave of these is to hit mid-December/mid-January.

If you score some now, consider yourself lucky!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    According to GEAX the supply in the U.S. is pretty limited right now. There are very few TNT versions left, maybe a handfull of folders. The next wave of these is to hit mid-December/mid-January.

If you score some now, consider yourself lucky!
    Looks like I'm sticking with Ralphs. Maybe next year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast