Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Trying to get back in shape

Stopped riding about 15 years ago, Job, kids and basically life ( lets not forget laziness), got in the way. But so did about 60 lb and 15 years, But its time to live again. I am 260 and 47 years old. Live in NYC, but have access to get to some great trails. My question is looking at the scott 29 comp hard tail and wondering if it would be a good buy for my circumstance. Any reply before noon on saturday may 11th would be great, going to see bike at that time.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing, but a hard tail can beat up a 47 year old body! If you're not going to be riding rough stuff, then it will probably be perfect, and the Scott is a great bike. Obviously if you can test ride this one and some others that would be best.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Best of luck to you! Riding and watching diet will help with the weight loss....you can always get a HT and then get a FS down the road. I ride with a 63 year old on rough desert terrain that rides Cannondale HT 29er and he does alright. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    I was in a very similar situation. A year ago, at 47, I decided to drop all the weight I'd gained. I changed my diet and started mountain biking again. I pulled my 2005 Hardtail out of the basement, cleaned it up, and hit the trails. I've lost 73 pounds since February 2012 (I'm only 5' 6" so that's how fat I was!).

As a reward, I bought myself a new bike to replace the 2005 HT. Let me pass on some advice:

You are not in your 30s. Get full suspension.

I rode my HT at 47 for 6 months before buying a FS bike. The difference on my back, shoulders, and arms is amazing. More importantly, I'm fresher after a ride and more apt to ride longer the next day. I work 70+ hours a week and travel almost every week so I usually only have Saturday and Sunday to ride. Riding a few miles further on Sunday because I am not as beat up from Saturday makes the FS worth it for me.

On top of all that, FS bikes are just freakin' amazing. This is coming from a die-hard HT fan. I have WAY more fun on the new FS bike that I ever imagined on the HT. It makes me want to ride more. It makes me ride sections I'd normal avoid. It makes me look forward to rooty forests and rock gardens instead of thinking "ugh...this is gonna hurt."

At your height, I'd probably go 650b or 29er (I'm on 26) but go FS.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    KevinGT

Thanks for the response, I need to keep hearing stories like yours. Any suggestion on a bike that would be great for me. Thinking FS now (Thanks), used up to $2500.
    Any comments on the Specialized stump jumper FSR comp to start with? Did not love the Scott, and rethinking HT or FSRT.

thanks
    Last edited by caljah; 05-11-2013 at 12:46 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd love to help with a bike suggestion but I'm no expert. I decided I wanted a Yeti many months ago and never researched other brands.

I did demo two bikes, a 29er HT (Niner Air 9 RDO) and a 650b FS (Scott Genius). I loved the Niner but didn't like the Scott at all.

You can't go wrong sticking to a big brand like Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, or Trek. Take a look at the Yeti and Santa Cruz lineups as well. I think you'd love a Yeti SB-95 but those are pricey, even in aluminum.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I recently lost 40 lbs (was almost 200, now I'm clocking in around 158-160 depending on what I've eaten). Now, I'm only 23 years old so granted it was probably easier for me than it will be for you but I found the absolute best thing to do was high intensity training like P90X (I prefer P90X to P90X2) to lose the first 25 lbs, and then move to Bikram Yoga to lose the last 10-15 lbs. If you combine mountain biking with this, you'll see some huge benefits.

Of course you need to watch what you eat also, but I never truly dieted or counted calories.

Good luck with the weight loss!

mtbr member
    Loving the suggestions, please keep them coming. trying out a 2012 Stump jumper FSR tomorrow. I little to think of it as a mothers day present to myself,since as a dad i raised my kids by myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm 46 and bought a Scott Aspect 920 hardtail late last year. I decided I needed to do something for cardio fitness as the only thing I have done in the past 6-7 years is play golf and drink beer. I bought a hardtail as I just wanted to do a bit of XC/trail riding and even a bit of road/commuter riding for the fun, fitness and fresh air and it's been great for all of that. I didn't really want to get into any more difficult riding as at my age I don't want to be falling off and injuring myself too often but as you get better you do start to explore and ride the tougher trails. I can now see the potential benefits of a full suspension bike as you do get rattled around on the tougher trails. But for just plain weight loss and cardio fitness on easier trails the hardtail is ideal. But as somebody else mentioned you also need to watch what you eat. I began riding daily around Xmas but didn't lose an ounce of weight because I was stuffing myself with Xmas goodies. After Xmas I cut down my food intake but continued riding and quickly lost about 10-11 lbs.

The great thing about cycling is you can exercise and have fun doing it unlike some other forms of exercise which are pure drudgery.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi_GR_Biker View Post
    The great thing about cycling is you can exercise and have fun doing it unlike some other forms of exercise which are pure drudgery.

Good luck!
    AMEN to that, brother! I have a gym membership, but I can't stand going. I force myself to go here and there, but I'd MUCH rather be out riding!

mtbr member
    Ride, ride, ride.

Got 27/30 days in April, and 10/11 so far in May.

Eat right.

Eat healthy.

The kind of bike you ride (FS, HT, etc) is up to you. Don't let everyone scare you into thinking that because of your age you NEED full suspension, cause it's just not true.

I've had lots of bikes, and at 48 years old my hands down favorite is my rigid singlespeed 29er. So much so that my FS 29er is sold...

and I'm in Westchester so I know the kinds of trails you'll be riding.

check out the "wheels down" forum on wmba.org for rides posted at our local parks.

and don't forget our annual Fat Tire Festival coming up on June 9th at Blue Mountain in Peekskill.

Good luck!

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Ride, ride, ride.

Got 27/30 days in April, and 10/11 so far in May.

Eat right.

Eat healthy.

The kind of bike you ride (FS, HT, etc) is up to you. Don't let everyone scare you into thinking that because of your age you NEED full suspension, cause it's just not true.

I've had lots of bikes, and at 48 years old my hands down favorite is my rigid singlespeed 29er. So much so that my FS 29er is sold...

and I'm in Westchester so I know the kinds of trails you'll be riding.

check out the "wheels down" forum on wmba.org for rides posted at our local parks.

and don't forget our annual Fat Tire Festival coming up on June 9th at Blue Mountain in Peekskill.

Good luck!

SPP
    +1 on this. I'm 37 riding a hard tail 29er and I've yet to feel beat up after riding. If anything, my legs feel a bit worked but no other problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Just ride a bike that YOU enjoy riding !!! That will keep you in the sattle. I (46) use a FS but also have a bad back,and am not interested in racing. If yer looking for “a do it all“ bike than I would go HT, fullies are silly on roads and bikepaths

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    AMEN to that, brother! I have a gym membership, but I can't stand going. I force myself to go here and there, but I'd MUCH rather be out riding!
    LOL after years of fitness industry philanthropy I've finally given up on gyms - permanently. I have some weights setup in the basement if I ever get the urge but I've given up on charitable donations to my local gym. I can save the extra cash for spare parts, upgrades etc instead.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback, just got home from riding the Stumpjumper FSR, and it was great. I think it will be a great bike on the trails around here, but not great for a simple ride to my office. I may need to pick up a simple bike for that purpose. So the person wants $1700 for the 2012 bike in near perfect condition, (thoughts?), that should allow me to pick up a tree 4300 or equivalent for daily riding to work. What do people think?

Thanks again

mtbr member
    The FSR sounds like a good deal. What components are on it? It probably retailed for $3000 last year assuming it's got the SRAM X7/9 group.

mtbr member
    The bike has the SRAM x7/9 group and all the other stock components that comes with the bike. I went armed with my list of parts. He paid $2900 last summer for the bike, even showed me receipts. Not a scratch on the bike, got to love those 40 something year olds like myself, we take good care things.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sounds great. And a hardtail for the daily commute sounds like a perfect combo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljah View Post
    The bike has the SRAM x7/9 group and all the other stock components that comes with the bike. I went armed with my list of parts. He paid $2900 last summer for the bike, even showed me receipts. Not a scratch on the bike, got to love those 40 something year olds like myself, we take good care things.
    Buy it. That is a decent deal and quite a nice bike.

I have also had good results with the P90X and mountain biking combo. It's pretty hard at first if you are an old fat guy but it works.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Bought the stumpjumper FSR, rode it for an hour today and its great. Thanks all

Next question, I live in brooklyn, where do people ride. I can drive anywhere, but the closer the more likely I will ride more often.

Also any recommendation for a HT i can ride to work daily.

DJ Giggity, I may even get the P90x, thanks

signed

"an old fat guy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Congratulations on the FSR and welcome to your new addiction. For a commuter if you want to stick with Specialized get a Hardrock HT.

mtbr member
    Picked up the Stumpjumper FSR comp and its been great As I indicated before, I also want to get an HT, any thoughts on the Raven Focus expert? Someone has one for sale on the site, and they are close to me.

Parts listed as:

Bone stock except for tires which have been replaced with Serac XC 2.1's.

- XT triple crankset, front and rear derailleurs and shifters.
    - Avid Elixir R brakes.
    - Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheelset with 9mm quick release front and rear (front hub can be converted to a 15mm thru-axel by removing the 9mm adapters.)
    - Rock Shox Reba SL RL 100mm fork with tapered steerer tube and remote lockout. Fork can be converted to 80mm if so desired.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Last edited by caljah; 05-15-2013 at 07:19 PM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Raven has a great fork and good XT drive. Price is always important.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I hadn't seen that this is a 26. For road and actually trail riding I would look for a 29.
    Bike Blue Book is a source for used bike pricing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljah View Post
    Picked up the Stumpjumper FSR comp and its been great As I indicated before, I also want to get an HT, any thoughts on the Raven Focus expert? Someone has one for sale on the site, and they are close to me.

Parts listed as:

Bone stock except for tires which have been replaced with Serac XC 2.1's.

- XT triple crankset, front and rear derailleurs and shifters.
    - Avid Elixir R brakes.
    - Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheelset with 9mm quick release front and rear (front hub can be converted to a 15mm thru-axel by removing the 9mm adapters.)
    - Rock Shox Reba SL RL 100mm fork with tapered steerer tube and remote lockout. Fork can be converted to 80mm if so desired.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Isn't this for commuting? Do you have a secure place indoors to store it? Otherwise I would get something cheap, old and ugly.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast