mtbr member
    May 2008

True Fabrication - Best Freakin Bike Ever

Most people have'nt heard of this small custom frame maker here in Austin, Texas. I just took delivery of my custom 29er and it's without the coolest bike I've ever owned and have have owned many bikes. Cody took the time to ride with me and allowed me to test several frames before we set the geometry. I've ridden 26 inch wheels all my life and tested several 29ers, which didn't impress me. I took one ride on a True Fab and it was like cheating. All the good things about 29ers without the downside. See attached for a look at the beauty and brawn that steel brings to the table.

Cody, Clark, Cole are enthusiasts. I really believe they do it for "the love of the game". I don't they're not making a ton of $ considering they're frames start at $1,100. If you want a "True" custom experience give Cody a call or stop by the shop for some great BS and maybe a beer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yes, I've been eyeing them lately. Do you have geometry numbers? Please post full build!
    [SIZE="6"]Rollin Outta Da 239! FloRida[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Very Classy looking bike right there.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Specs

See attached for Geometry.

Build:

Stans ZArch w/Chris King
    SRAM XO
    Hope Brakes
    XT Crank
    Hope Ceramic BB
    Chris King Headset
    Eriksen Ti Seat Post
    Easton EC 90 Bars
    Ergon Grips w/Magnesium ends
    Fox RL 29 Shock
    Kedna SB 8 (Rear) Maxis Crossmark (Front)
    King Ti Cages
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have seen a few of these happy customers lately. Not a bad word in the bunch about their rides. Very custom,very little $ makes for happy riders

Bike Snob
    Nice but I will keep the one I just got.

phpjqOCzgPM.jpg

web ready 1.jpg

Coconino SS

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Yo CGR. That's a sweet Coco you've got there! How aboot some more pics of her?
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Nice looking 29er, I think it's cool he worked with you so closely to get the geometry dialed. Nice panels on the paint too.

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    Nice but I will keep the one I just got.

Coconino SS
    Wow. Where's your mandatory, "check out my new bike and build!" thread. I really want to see a bunch more pictures of that thing without killing the OPs thread. That bike looks absolutely amazing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    VERY similar geo numbers to my Curtlo build. Out of curiousity, what are your measurements? Me - 6'2", 34.5" inseam. Always curious to see who gets put on a bike with these numbers...

mtbr member
    Cody is a super cool dude.

If you're forced to buy a non-North Carolina brand ...like as some sort of court-ordered punishment or something... then I recommend giving True a call. ; )

Expert Crasher
    Nice TF. Like the colors. Looks like it would be faster without all that gear stuff in the way out back Sounds like you had a great custom experience. Always a plus when going local.

Oh, and the Cococino is pretty bad-a$$ as well. Looks a lot like a blue Stoic posted this time last year. Love that top tube curve.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Bike Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Yo CGR. That's a sweet Coco you've got there! How aboot some more pics of her?
    Just did a new thread so the OP doesn't feel like I am stealing his thunder.

Fresh Coconino

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

True

You mean this Cody? I've seen three of those frames and they all are awesome looking. Good people too - congrats on your new build. Considering how many miles Travis put on his you know that your True will be there for you a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shop Owner/Frame Builder
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    You mean this Cody? I've seen three of those frames and they all are awesome looking. Good people too - congrats on your new build. Considering how many miles Travis put on his you know that your True will be there for you a long time.
    Yeah Matt we've been talking about that recently. For the longest time my bike(s) had been the ones "most hammered" on but I think Travis' now takes that honor. He's been running our 2nd rigid fork for almost 2 years now. In fact the DBT race that photo is from was a good test with all that fireroad bombing thru the mini-baby heads.

Dave's frame turned out very well and we are proud of it. Throughout the process I kept telling him that things don't always go as planned so be prepared for it. Sure enough, the powdercoater used the wrong color of gray and then my painter ended up in the hospital which delayed the finish by about 3 weeks. However, once it gets finished and then ridden all those nuances seem to melt away!

Thanks for the accolades guys, its not glamorous work and it can be very testing at times, but we (TF) have really enjoyed making frames for people. Seeing your own stuff on the trail, or getting an email about a TF spotted on the trail makes it all worth it!

Later,
    CJB

www.HammerheadBicycles.com
    Austin's dirty little secret

www.TrueFabricationBicycles.com
    Texas Born; Texas Bred

mtbr member
    May 2008

Still The Best Freakin Bike Ever

Re my size. I'm 6'1" with a 33.5" inseam and a longer than normal torso.

Re the process. Regardless of the mis Qs and delays I would gladly go through this process again. In fact I like the powder quote better than the one I chose.

Shop Owner/Frame Builder
    May 2004
    Here are some of the pics I took of Dave's frame.

Enjoy

Texas Born; Texas Bred

mtbr member
    what kind of steel was used? very nice bike btw.

Shop Owner/Frame Builder
    May 2004
    His frame was a blend of True Temper OX Platinum/Versus HT and Columbus Zona.

Texas Born; Texas Bred

mtbr member
    One of nicer looking bikes I've seen on here in awhile. Great job True Fab.!

Waiting for Godot
    ok you like it, but why?

what sets this frame apart from the others?
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I talked with True when I was looking for a custom steel all day road bike. Really nice guys. I would highly consider them when looking for a custom builder!
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

Austin, TX
    Sep 2008
    Hey tibb, saw you on Walnut this morning. Nice bike! Sorry, I was in the creepy truck slowly passing you on the main road. Had to explain to my friend who True Fab was.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Too many miles Saturday!

You should have thrown me a burger. I suffered home and did the paper oy up Jester.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    ok you like it, but why?

what sets this frame apart from the others?
    Good question.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Fit, momentum and compliance. The bike is stiff where it needs to be and compliant in the rear. If I run tire pressure between 28-32 lbs it feels like I have a full inch of travel. I've tried Carbon and aluminum 29ers and was not impressed. My bike has excellent power transfer, but no so stiff that it's uncomfortable on longer rides. The larger wheels give more confidence and better rolling momentum. Finally it's the first MTB that I've owned that fits me correctly, as I have an abnormally long torso.