mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Trigger 29 1 v. Trek RF Pro v Spec SJ FSR Elite: Old man needs help.

First post here--be gentle.

51 year old fit male. Been riding a 2008 Durango 1 hardtail. Location is mostly South Carolina Lowcountry: mostly flat single track with bits of terrain here and there, but no claims or huge descents. Trails vary from tight technical to swoopy fast hardpack. Riding style most of the time is in the seat spinning away only to get out of the seat for quick turns and the quick, but minor, elevation changes. Not much in the order of rocks, but plenty of roots.

Looking to upgrade to FS 29er. $4k to $5k. Looking for less race and more travel.

I've been looking at specs for about a year now. I've only test ridden a Trigger so far. The Specialized LBS doesn't have demos. Trek has a demo ride in about 3 weeks.

ON PAPER they seem to be fairly comparable. Each has pluses and minuses.

My experience on the Trigger is hard to quantify as it's the only FS and only 29er I've ridden. Steering felt heavy in the tight turns, but I had to keep looking back to make sure the rear tire wasn't going flat. I know it's a drastically different feel of ride from a 26 hardtail trail bike. It's a bigger tire to drag around a tight corner and the suspension was so plush I couldn't feel the same roots in the rear as I did in the front (setting issue, I'm thinking). I never noticed the missing fork. I really liked the DYAD shock. I spent most of the time in the "climb" position and only changed it to flow for the drops. Time for pumping the down side was way off, though.

I asked the Cannondale mechanic in charge of the demo bikes to sell the Trigger over the Rumblefish and he said at this level of build they're like chocolate and vanilla, ass-time on the bike is the only real way to make a preference.

My question to you, the fine forum folks, is:

- FSR suspension really better than Cannondale linkage or Trek ABP?

- DRCV or DYAD or Brain?

- On the SJ: better to have carbon over Brain for same price point?

- Something I've missing in comparing the three bikes that would make one really stand out over the others?

The long winter (and my extreme dislike of the cold) is screwing with me and I'm eager to get back on the trails. Hopefully on a new 29er!

TIA

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A Giant Trance would be my answer. Given your terrain description an Anthem would be all you'd need, but the Trance is maybe what you'd want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I haven't tried the trigger but loved the rf pro in tight techy Florida. I think you should hold out and ride a few more bikes. I liked the stumpy too but prefered the trance and rf pro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    A Giant Trance...
    Thanks for the heads up on Giant. Looks like a contender!

DFMBA.org
    Giant Trance X 29-0. 5" of Fox travel, XT groupset. This bike will eat up any terrain you can throw at it.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bulerias View Post
    Given your terrain description an Anthem would be all you'd need...
    You're the third person to suggest a bike that is more race oriented with less travel. The Trek guy suggested a Superfly and the Cannondale guy suggested a Scapel. The Anthem X Advanced 29er 1 in a carbon bike in my price range.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    While continuing my search I've discovered the Yeti SB95 in "Race" package and it has moved right to the top of the list. Bad choice?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The brain has its plusses and minuses, but one really cool feature I found was that it allowed such a wide range of rear suspension tuning, it was almost like having a bike and a half.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.