Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Trek XCaliber 7, 2014/2015?

I was wondering if anyone has a review here of the Trek Xcaliber 2014? I could not find one for this model /year. I am teetering between a 7 and 8 but I am not used to the SRAM, but have been using the Shimano for years and I am still using the Shimano shifters on my work bike. I really like the specs on the Xcailber 8 but had a lot of problems trying it out since the SRAM I have never used and spent more time trying to shift than experiencing the actual bike. I am also concerned because the 18.5 inch frame felt pretty good but I ride a 17.5 frame with my Specialized 29er work bike. Just hoping for opinions and thoughts. If the bike was Shimano shifters I would have no doubt as I have been using the trigger shifters for a long time and I am still using them on my work bike. From what the guys tole me at my LBS, the 2015 Xcaliber will have a XCM 30 Rockshok and a Shimano drivetrain with what I am used to. Worth waiting for? It's about a $100 more than the current Xcailber 7 and will be out mid August. Colors are different as well. My biggest issue is money (as always) and how unfamiliar the SRAM feels. I also need to make sure of my fit as whatever I choose will be my bike for a long time unless I win the lotto.

mtbr member

The 8 is showing up on sale for a cheaper price than the 7 on treks website.

I've been running SRAM x7 shifters and derailleurs for awhile now and I like them. If it wasn't shifting correctly they need to be readjusted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The shifters seemed to be working, I just could not get the hang of them in a short test ride. Ended up focusing on how to shift rather than how the bike felt. The guy at the LBS showed me some of the specs for the 2015 Xcaliber 7 and it appeared to be spec'ed a lot like the current Xcailber 8 with a retail cost of around $950. I liked the Xcailber 8 except for the shifters. I have been using Shimano for years and my work bike is Shimano which I will be riding a lot. That is why I was wondering if anyone has a review on the current Xcailber 7.

mtbr member

I do not have experience with the 7 or 8, only my 2013 x-cal.

The 8 has a better fork than the 7 and it's on some sort of sale for less than the 7...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The 2015 Xcaliber 7 specs as I can find them online. I have not gone down the line with all items but I did notice it has a Rockshox XM30 (not XM32 like 2014 Xcaliber 8) and shimano shifters. Seems similarly spec'ed to the 2014 X 8. I like the X 8 but I am wary to spend what is a huge amount of money unless I really love it (this price range is a ton of money on my budget). Here are the 2015 X 7 specs below. I appreciate the info and opinions.

My LBS can get me this bike for around the same price as the sale X8 so money is about the same. I would just need to wait until mid August to get the new X7. I am guessing the X8 is on sale because the new X7 is so close to the 2014 X8. Just guessing though

The TREK X-CALIBER 7 650B 2014 model Starry Night Black/Lime Green Hardtail mountain bike from BIKEFACTORY.CO.UK ONLINE
    A REALLY GOOD VALUE MOUNTAIN BIKE WITH A MORE COMFORTABLE RIDING POSITION BUT WITH ALL THE FEEL OF A PERFORMANCE OFF ROAD MACHINE FOR FITNESS RIDES OR LONGER OFF ROAD RIDES
    Race-ready spec 2x drivetrain options, lockout, hydraulic discs
    Ride the fastest wheel that fits with Smart Wheel Size
    Light, precise race frame for a fast, refined ride
    Extended size range gives you a better fit for a better ride
    Frameset
    Frame Alpha Gold Aluminium w/semi-integrated head tube, mechanically formed & butted tubing, race geometry, internal front derailleur routing, G2 Geometry on 29ers
    Front suspension RockShox XC30, coil spring, preload, Turnkey lockout, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset on 29ers, 100mm travel (13.5" : 80mm travel)
    Wheels Formula DC20 alloy front hub, Formula DC22 alloy rear hub, Bontrager AT-650 32-hole double-walled rims
    Tires Bontrager XR1, 29x2.20" front, 29x2.00" rear (Bontrager XR2, 27.5x2.20")
    Drivetrain
    Shifters Shimano Acera M390, 9 speed
    Front derailleur Shimano Altus
    Rear derailleur Shimano Acera M390
    Crank Shimano Acera M391, 44/32/22
    Bottom bracket Sealed cartridge
    Cassette Shimano HG20 11-36, 9 speed
    Pedals Wellgo nylon platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager Evoke 1.5
    Seatpost Bontrager SSR, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 12mm offset
    Handlebar Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 5mm rise

mtbr member

Noticed a BIG difference from that description. It appears to have a 650b wheel set (27.5").

So now it's 29er vs 27.5".

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    OK, so this bike will come as a 29er or a 27.5? The guy who was looking at the specs at the shop said it looks like they made some mistakes in the description. I guess I will just have to wait and see what I can afford and what I can get at the time I can come up with the money. LBS does not seem to have a payment plan at the moment if I go with a Trek.

mtbr member

If you can't afford to buy it outright I wouldn't buy it, never finance toys.

mtbr member

Where are you located at? Those specs appear to be from the UK.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    If you can't afford to buy it outright I wouldn't buy it, never finance toys.
    Couldn't agree more. Don't let that lesson the hard way OP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I'm in North Carolina but look to be the same specs the guy at the LBS showed me. Colors are different for 2015 too. Thanks, I doubt I'll try and finance

Sent from Akira brain power

mtbr member

Have you looked at the airborne bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

No. No shops where I live that carry them that I am aware of

mtbr member

I don't think any shops anywhere carry them. You can't test ride them but you cut out the middle man and save $$.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I'll look into them, thank you

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I know what you mean. I really like the X Caliber 8, but not fond of the SRAM shifters (not used to them, prefer Shimano). Since the 2015 Xcaliber 7 is equipped with Shimano shifters and from what I can tell the only real change in components is that the Rock Shox is an XC30 rather than the XC32 (I have been told the XC32 is a better shock for strength). The new retail is higher but the guy at the bike shop thinks he can get me into one for the same price as the current sale price of the X8. I am not sure that is a big enough difference between the shock to warrant getting the X8 over the new spec'ed X7. Plus I will get to stay with Shimano shifters which is a big plus for person preference. The black and white X8 is sweet but similar to the new X7 black white and green so that does not matter much to me. I would prefer matte black but that is not an option.

mtbr member

What price is he talking about?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

LBS told me they give 10% off none sale items for service professionals. That should drop the price to around $860ish

mtbr member
    I went to my LBS today to drop off my X-Caliber 5 for regular maintenance and saw that they had one X-Caliber 8. I asked if it was on sale per Trek website and they said yes. I rode it and that thing rides like a dream. I didn't think there would be that much difference between the X-Cal 5 and the X-Cal 8 but wow they are a world of difference. They say will give me $350 for my X-Cal 5 as trade in so it comes out to $550 out the door. I know I can get more on Craigslist but the sale ends on Monday. The shop guy also said that I get $200 worth of free accessories as part of the sale/promotion as per Trek website. Is i really like this bike but I don't know. Should I upgrade or keep what I have?
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

mtbr member

If I get a chance I'll look up the specs later but my gut says your basically paying $550 for the fork and better brakes.

You'd probably be better off just using that $550 to get a better fork and brakes instead of changing bikes.

::edit::

I looked it up and the 8 does have some solid upgrades over the 5. The rockshox xc32 fork is better than the rst by a decent amount. The x5/x7 sram stuff is better than alivio (or acera) shimano and the shimano hydro brakes are better.

You could add a suntour epicon or raidon air fork to your bike for $250, get shimano deore brakes for $120, and still have plenty for a new crank, cassette, and derailleurs.

The question is: can you work on your own bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just took advantage of the price drop on the X-caliber 8. It is my first 29er and good God what a difference over 26 inch. I have to say I am having a little trouble getting accustomed to sram shifters. I have been riding a Fisher with Shimano XT for 6 years so I may just have to swap all the shifting components to Shimano XT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

The guy at the LBS told me that SRAM derailers as shimano shifters won't work right together so you might have to switch all derailers and shifters. I have I idea if this is true but I assumed he knows

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Front derailleurs work with either brand shifter. Rears need to match.
    So if you went with Shimano shifters you need to buy a rear Shimano derailleur.
    Currently they are on super sale at Ribble with 10% extra off. Jenson price matches.
    You need to select the country and currency for the correct pricing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sox45 View Post
    No. No shops where I live that carry them that I am aware of

Airborne sells via the internet, you go their web site, buy it, and brown santa delivers

great value bikes

Airborne Bicycles. Trail

mtbr member
    Thanks Sickmak90. I figured the upgraded components would be significantly better than what I have now. I was pricing a fork, hydro brakes, and shifters/derailleurs and it would come up to about the same price. The frames are the same on both bikes. The SRAM shifters did throw me off since I'm not used to them and don't have the gear indicator but I'm sure one can get used to them fairly quickly.

Is the trade in value they are offering ok/ too low?
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast