Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the information about Airborne, but it does not look like their bikes are compatible with rear bike racks and since every bike I need has to be a back up for a work bike they will need to be able to have a rear bike rack. I was really liking the Seeker but they do not seem have even the lower eyelets for a bike rack and to me it would be like paying close to a $1000 dollars just to duct tape a rack on. Seems counter productive to what I need. I really wish that wasn't the case, the Seeker seems awesome! When you can only afford one bike for all things (fun, exercise, around town, trails, cross country and a back up for work) than Airborne does not seem to be compatible.

mtbr member

Trek XCaliber 7, 2014/2015?

IMHO I don't think you are getting a very good trade in for your old bike, especially if it is in good shape. I just couldn't justify spending $550 for marginally better components. I'm guessing you paid around $600 for the 5? If so that means you would have almost $1200 wrapped up in the 8. I ended up getting a left over 2013 model X-caliber for $1239, which has specs well above this years 9.

I just don't see an extra $550 in value on the 8 over the 5. The XC32 rockshox is an improvement over the RST, although it is still very heavy and uses a coil spring. Purchasing a Suntour epicon or raidon would be an improvement over the xc32 because it uses air instead of a spring and is lighter. Add one of those for $250 and a $120 set of brakes and I bet the 5 feels worlds better than the 8 did.

I actually really like SRAM shifters and rear derailleurs (I hate all front derailleurs) and have never once missed not having a gear indicator. Do higher end shimano shifters have a gear indicator?

mtbr member
    I was thinking the same thing. By the time everything is said and done I would've paid $1400 for an $850 bike. My bike is only a month old. I was looking at the Suntour website and I know they have the upgrade program and have the RAIDON XC-LO-R-29 for $189 which I don't think is bad. I may go that way and look into the hydro brakes as well. I think I may just do upgrades to my X-5 and keep it. I'm sure I can get it as good or better than the X8.

Thanks
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I honestly wish I would have went with the X-Caliber 9. It came with Shimano XT shifters and derailleurs, Shimano M445 instead of M395 brakes and the XC32 with air. It would have meant driving into downtown Chicago but the price difference was only $205 over the $850.

mtbr member

That Raidon will be at least as good, if not better than the rockshox xc32 air. For $200 it's a very worthy upgrade.

Shimano deore or slx brakes go on sale all the time for $100-$150 a set. Either one of those brakes are very good.

I really don't think you'd be able to really notice the other small upgrades that the 8 has over the 5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Just bought a 2015 trek x-cal 7 for $745 ..... Couldn't pass up the deal
    I was going to go for a 2014 x-cal 8 , but I used to the shimano shifters. Plus I saved about $100 and loved the black/green color of the new xcal7

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Was it on sale? The LBS said it was $929 I believe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Not on sale... It is $929 but the manager offered me that price... With trek care plus for 3 yrs and the $50 accessory credit promotion.

Yea... I couldn't pass it up

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I don't think I could have either. I think this will be the bike I get. I like the Shimano shifters, the breaks, the fork and the black/green color. Seems like a bike I could do a lot with right off and I could upgrade as things break to make it better. Any pictures of the new ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'll have it this weekend... Had to ship it from their warehouse. I'll post some pics then.
    I know it's not the best out there but I think it's the best for the price.

The rockshox xc30 is a decent fork right? At least over the the sun tour xcm/xcr?

Should serve me well for my purpose. Need some advice on inexpensive pedals for it though.

mtbr member

Xc30 is much better than the suntour xcm/xcr.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    If your XC30 does not have air you can add it for $75 in parts. If weight is not to big of an issue Primo Super Tenderizers are indestructible pedals. I have a set on my Gary Fisher that are 8 years old and still going strong. I clean and grease them once a year. You can find them on ebay for around $25 including shipping. I like them they have a slight curve to them to prevent your foot from falling off. They have multiple colors.
    Primo Super Tenderizer 9/16" Pedals; Black

Primo Super Tenderizer Aluminum BMX Pedals with removable/replaceable pins.
    ;
    • Removable/replaceable pins

;
    Item Specifications
    Color Black
    Unit of Sale Pair
    Weight 800g
    Intended Use BMX
    Material Aluminum
    Pedal Spindle 9/16"
    Spindle Material Chromoly
    Pedal Type Platform
    Defined Color Black

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

A little off topic, can poploc/ remote lockout be added to an xc30 at a reasonable price?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek XCaliber 7, 2014/2015?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Nice! How does it ride and what frame size did you get?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    17.5... Just rode it around my neighborhood...so I'll post a review once I get more time on the trails. The 29er is much quicker than my 26" but that's a given.

The bike feels comfortable though

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New X-Cal 7

Trek XCaliber 7, 2014/2015?-img_20140719_212726_215.jpg

I figured i would chime in here, being that i just bought an X-cal 7 a month ago.

I was a little bit upset at my LBS when i walked into the store exactly 1 week later and saw an X-cal 7 (2015) sitting there with Rockshox forks. My 2014 came with Suntour XCR (32mm Stanchions), they seem like good forks, they hold up really well in corners and offer plenty of traction when i'm hauling ass down rocky/rooty hills.

Nevertheless, it would have been nice to know that bike would be on the floor at the LBS just 1 week later. I probably would have stayed with the 2014 regardless, because they knocked $50 off ($829) and that orange paint is absolutely stunning. I've never bought anything orange in my life, but that paint just pops!!

My only complaints so far is with the stock wheels and tires. The Bontragger AT650 is a single wall wheel. I ended up bending that front wheel, just 1 week after buying the bike. I ended up replacing it with a double wall (WTB) wheel, with Shimano Hub. Much better than stock, and i decided to get rid of those junky XR1's that they put on there. Not a bad tire for nice dry conditions, but i was all over the place when i rode after some rain. I ended up replacing both tires with Specialized Ground Control (Front) and Specialized Captain (Back).

I took the $50 credit that Trek was offering and had the bike shop ditch the largest chain ring and replace it with a bash guard. This was my main reason for going with the X-Cal 7 instead of the X-Cal 6. The 7 has a 3 piece chainring. So i have a nice 2x9 setup and dont have to worry about all those log crossings here in western PA.

For now the only other thing i would like to do is ditch the cheap pedals that they put on this bike. I'm just not sure if i should go clipless or just go with some type of alloy pedal. Any suggestions?

Anyhow, this is a legit mountain bike and what a difference coming from a 26in bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    For about $100 more I just traded my 2015 trek x-cal 7 fr a 2014 trek x-cal 8.... Better complements, wheels,and I couldn't get used to the shimano shifter. I like to keep my index finger on the brakes.

mtbr member
    Did you get full price for your bike? They had an X-Cal 8 at my LBS and that thing is sweet. I missed the sale when they had it for $849. They had a 2014 X-Cal 7 (red/black) color combo and they would let it go for $879 but I didn't like the color. If they would've had the orange one or the black/green I might have bought it but I was really hung up on the X-Cal 8 especially since I know it can be had for $849.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    A guy i ride with has a 2014 X-Cal 8 and he paid $1050 for it. If you can get an X-Cal 8 for $849 then that is a hell of a deal. That's why i ended up with the 7. It was a 200 dollar upgrade to the 8 and it comes with SRAM shifter/derailers which i dont think i could ever get use to. I guess it's all personal preference.

mtbr member
    The $849 price was a sale that Trek had for a few weeks. I wanted to pull the trigger on it but I had to sell my current bike first before I could get the 8 and by the time I sold mine the sale was over. It was difficult for me as well with the SRAM shifters. I couldn't get used to them. I think it was the back thumb shifter that did it form me. I'm sure one gets used to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I purchased the XC-8 a couple weeks ago at $850. At first I hated those Sram shifters and felt I had made a huge mistake. I have used Shimano shifters for oh I don't know since they were introduced I guess. After about 5 days I was hooked. I hate those Sram X.5 shifters so much I purchased Sram X.0 shifters, Sram X.0 rear derailler and Sram X.9 front derailler. I liked the function of the existing Sram set up but the X.5 levers for down shifting suck. Mine had about a half inch or more of travel before they did anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiulus View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140719_212726_215.jpg 
Views:	3216 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	914907
    The Bontragger AT650 is a single wall wheel. I ended up bending that front wheel, just 1 week after buying the bike. I ended up replacing it with a double wall (WTB) wheel
    these are double walled rims in my 2013 marlin. im not sure why they would be single walled in yours.

Trek Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I paid $100 more than what I paid for my 2015 xcal 7, The xcal7 shifter would hit my thumb.. But when I move it inward my index finger would be way off the up shift shifter. Plus I realized that I should keep my index finger at my brakes most of the time.

Anyways.. Trek has a decent product, but when I buy my next bike it will be specialized or giant .

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    these are double walled rims in my 2013 marlin. im not sure why they would be single walled in yours.

Trek Bicycle

I think the description is wrong on that website. I read a spec sheet on my bike that said the rim was double wall as well. Sure enough after i bent that front wheel and took the tire off, it was a Single Wall Wheel and the guys at my LBS verified that. I know that the Bontragger AT850 is a double wall wheel but my AT650's were single wall!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast