Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    You should have called trek for warranty and verified. They might have warrantied your rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I ordered 2014 XCal 8 yesterday at atlanta trek for $849...

The bike should be delivered friday and ready to pick up saturday... i cant wait...

I was set on getting the 2015 XCal 7 few days ago for $929... good thing i waited and researched... save me $80 and get better components i think... although i like the new 2015 color (blue with yellow)...

This is my first expensive MTB... i usually buy $200 bike at walmart

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I test rode a 18.5" 2015 X Cal 7 today and I liked it. The only issue I had is that the XC30 Rockshox seemed to not really "lock out" until I put the preload all the way to the hardest setting, then it was pretty close to lock out, is that normal?). I did not remember that from test riding the 2014 X cal 8. I also test rode a 2014 (I think) X cal 6 in 17.5" and I liked the 18.5" better even though I am only 5'7" with a 30" inseam. I think if I end up buying new, I will go with the 2015 X cal 7 in black and green (test rode the blue/yellow/white and I will never like that color combo, just not me).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sox45 View Post
    The only issue I had is that the XC30 Rockshox seemed to not really "lock out" until I put the preload all the way to the hardest setting, then it was pretty close to lock out, is that normal?). I did not remember that from test riding the 2014 X cal 8.
    If it has cable actuation it should be adjustable by the shop. Check with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My x-cal 8 has the xc32 with "turnkey" lockout. They use the marketing on the turnkey setup that it has a bypass that allows the shock to still operate even when locked out as a form of blowout control. I find that weighing ~200lbs if i load the fork to hop anything, even when locked out you'll hear and feel the shock operating so to me it's a partial lockout at best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Trek XCaliber 7, 2014/2015?

When I did the test ride (not ready to buy) the XC 30 felt squish even when locked out when I peddled hard standing but got a lot better when I turned the preload all the way up. Guess that's the way these forks work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    When I had the x7 .. When engaging the lockout the shock didn't move at all... Same with my x8 now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    That is what I thought with the X8, I test rode that about a month ago and it had the XC32 and it seemed to be completely locked out when I had it in the locked position. This is basically the same fork, the XC30 with 30mm stanchions in stead of 32mm. The sales person said that was normal but I honestly got the feel that this one did not know as much as the one I previously dealt with. I will check back in when I am closer to buying to see how the fork feels. Maybe it needed to be checked by a mechanic.

mtbr member
    When I tested the X8 even with the fork locked out it still had some bounce to it. I have a Suntour XCR Lo-R Ait and when I lock it out there is no movement whatsoever.

Just my $.02
    2014 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Exactly Laurido, it's not soft like being wide open, but it has some spring on it and you go to bounce the front while locked over a root or curb you can feel it move a bit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Here is a youtube video I just found showing someone's new 2015 X Cal 7 in my size and the color I like. I really like the looks of this bike.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7vSWTr9z8

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    U didn't get a bike yet? Just get one and ride out . .. I just ordered a set of tires , pedals and seats for mine

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Nope and I have no idea when I'll have the money. All that I had saved went to medical bills for my family. Lots of unexpected bills so I am having to start over again...

Sent from Akira brain power

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    If that's the case I would honestly get a bike from bikesdirect or used ... I also have a 10 yr old cannondale f300 that I ride to death and it's just as fun as my trek x8. Sometimes it's not about how expensive ur fork or bike is, just ride and enjoy

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have an old 26" wheeled bike that I can ride off duty and as long as it is still working I at least can ride. I so rarely can afford something new in my life. I wish I had the money to buy a new bike. I have not owned a new bike since I was less that 10 years old (so more than 30 years) so it would be great to finally be able to afford something right out of the box for once. I will go back to saving and if I can afford this bike I will get it. If not I will craigslist something and build it up to what I want or need. My family comes first so maybe a new bike is a pipe dream. Sooner or later I will get a 29er though. I also have to make sure I get something that can double as a back up to my work bike because if I want to make sure I stay riding on duty, I need to make sure I can use my personal bike when my work bike goes down for repairs and my department drags their feet in paying for repairs. It's always been that way and I do not see things changing.

mtbr member

Family is always first and you'll be able to get it eventually. Since I got married two years ago and had a child I've had to cut back tremendously on spending and it's really hard not to be selfish lol.

Are you a cop?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Yup, I'm a cop. Second marriage, one child, a teen. Been a LEO (law enforcement officer for almost 15 years), and have done everything you can imagine except be paid well, LOL. As long as you have your health, the rest can wait and sooner or later I will get something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    Noticed a BIG difference from that description. It appears to have a 650b wheel set (27.5").

So now it's 29er vs 27.5".
    OK, so this bike will come as a 29er or a 27.5? The guy who was looking at the specs at the shop said it looks like they made some mistakes in the description. I guess I will just have to wait and see what I can afford and what I can get at the time I can come up with the money. LBS does not seem to have a payment plan at the moment if I go with a Trek.
    They do 27.5 on small sizes and 29 on medium and large sizes.

mtbr member

Yup, I'm a cop. Second marriage, one child, a teen. Been a LEO (law enforcement officer for almost 15 years), and have done everything you can imagine except be paid well, LOL. As long as you have your health, the rest can wait and sooner or later I will get something.
    LEO is a tough biz to be in. I have considered going to my local PD but it would be a significant pay cut. I've wanted to be a cop for years but can't afford a 20k pay cut with a wife and two kids.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Where r u located sox45? I want a FS bike now lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

I'm in central North Carolina pretty close to Raleigh NC

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You have a great area to ride mountain bikes in .... I'm in N florida , one day I'll take a trip there to ride

mtbr member

Any hills up your way? With all the hills I have to tackle I have an illusion that I could ride down south all day long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Lots of hills in my area and some really nice trail especially if you are willing to drive an hour for mountain bike trails. I live about three hours from actual mountains and the mountains are my favorite place to vacation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12