mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Trek X Caliber 7 2014

I've got this entry level bike almost five years ago and now the time has come: upgrade the components(everything is stock right now) or buy another bike(which I'm not prepared to do at this time). With that being said, I've gotta stick to the first option. Two things I have in mind: a better fork and a wider handle bar. What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That's one l o n g stem and a lot of seat post. You're likely on too small a bike to really ride at a high level of performance. Wider bars means you can reduce the stem length to maintain the same cockpit fit.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I have good experience getting wider bars and shorter stem at the same time. For highend as well as entry level ht. Can be had dirt cheap. That is if your bike as said isn't too small?
    I wouldn't spend a new fork on that bike if it's working but perhaps a cheap mechanical dropper post will give some fun and perhaps a new set of tyres. A dropper will give new feeling and possibilities.
    If you get a new fork I would consider going 120mm and slacking out the hta 1.5 to 2 degree at the same time.

mtbr member
    I'm with eb, that's a lot of exposed seatpost suggesting you may be on a frame that's too small for you.
    Keep riding the bike and look for demo days at your local shops to narrow down your frame size, then you can focus on a particular bike and wait for deals and save your bucks until then. Good luck
    Last edited by upstateSC-rider; 1 Week Ago at 04:13 AM.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I recommend you do nothing besides save up for a new bike.

edit: and one without reflectors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can gain a bit more room with a setback seatpost. That and wider bars will give you a bit more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks guys! You are absolutely right, my frame is 17.5 and the correct size is 19.5, based on my height(5'-11''). Didn't know any better when I got the bike at the time. I've made a decision, I'll put it on sale, see I can recover some money to buy a more comfy ride. I'm thinking about going with 27.5 wheels now, ht. What do you suggest?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rickusa View Post
    Thanks guys! You are absolutely right, my frame is 17.5 and the correct size is 19.5, based on my height(5'-11''). Didn't know any better when I got the bike at the time. I've made a decision, I'll put it on sale, see I can recover some money to buy a more comfy ride. I'm thinking about going with 27.5 wheels now, ht. What do you suggest?

Buy a quality 29 in HT that fits your budget.
    It is not important 2015/16/17.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    29 or combo 27.5+/29 hardtail is what I'd recommend. Rollover and wide tires and rims are very beneficial for a hardtail.
    27.5 hardtail bikes are leftovers.