Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trek Wahoo 2013

mtbr member

Trek Wahoo 2013

Getting my first bike, was thinking of getting a Giant Revel...but I got pulled in by the Trek Wahoo '13 29er.

My friend and a shop guy told me the Trek had better components for around the same price

You guys think its a good purchase for $549?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Isnt the revel a 26"?

The wahoo is most closely compared to the Talon 2. I know cuz I have a wahoo and my friend has the talon.

You really cant go wrong with either one. Its one of those same but different kinda deals.

The reason I chose 1 over the other was how it felt. I never looked into the geometry differences but for whatever the reason the wahoo felt better for me. The stock spring in the fork was much stiffer on the trek which I preferred and I dont like the push/push style sram shifter his has. Yet he loves it.

Anyway I have a ton of fun on my wahoo. Dont let those posts you find on the internet fool ya, you really can have fun on a $500 bike without dying lol. If you search this forum you will find pics and info from myself and others with the same bike (the only difference from 2012 to 2013 is da paint job and price). Pick one and go ride it!
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think you should jump another $100 and get a Trek Marlin. It has great components. That's a great place to start if you're into it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Revel this year does come in a 29er. Im not sure they are making the Talon for 2013 or not.

Either bike would be fine. Just get the one you feel the best on when you ride it.

mtbr member
    Got my 2013 Marlin for $580 at my LBS, maybe see if you can get a similar deal on one of those, or possibly do better on the price of the Wahoo if you go with it.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

mtbr member
    The Trek Wahoo will utilize the G2 geometry whereas the Giant will not. There will probably be a difference in front-end feel between the bikes. The Revel only comes in a 26" but it's spec'd a bit better than the Wahoo. The Wahoo is a 29" with a tapered head tube, but lower specs. If it were my $$, I'd probably get the Wahoo.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMTB View Post
    The Trek Wahoo will utilize the G2 geometry whereas the Giant will not. There will probably be a difference in front-end feel between the bikes. The Revel only comes in a 26" but it's spec'd a bit better than the Wahoo. The Wahoo is a 29" with a tapered head tube, but lower specs. If it were my $$, I'd probably get the Wahoo.
    The Revel does come in 29".

I was told the Revel had lesser specs than the Wahoo.

Idunno.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Quote Originally Posted by jettyoung1999 View Post
    I think you should jump another $100 and get a Trek Marlin. It has great components. That's a great place to start if you're into it.
    The Wahoo is an excellent first bike. All that is upgraded on the marlin is a lockout fork and SRAM drivetrain. Actually, the Marlin does not have many differences with the Wahoo, the difference is if you have a lockout fork or not. You should be able to get a better deal on a Wahoo, but if you can spend $60 more, go for the Marlin.
    Last edited by CannondaleF9; 12-29-2012 at 03:42 PM.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    I am glad to see they put some double-wall rims on the 2013 Wahoo. last year's model was basically a hybrid with fatter tires. it is an entry-level bike. I think most people who buy a bike like the Wahoo and actually ride it will be disappointed and wish they had saved a little more $$ and gotten something better.

I have never gotten those cheesy Tektro brakes working well and the fork is going to feel like a pogo stick. if this is your first mountain bike and you start riding it a lot, expect to need to replace it in a about a year. the beginning of what I would consider trail-worthy bikes by Trek is the Cobia. The rest are casual once-a-month weekend warrior bikes. you get what you pay for, but with Trek you get a solid company that stands by their product.

mtbr member
    went to the shop earlier....came back thinking I might go for the mamba.

My brother(not a rider) and the sales dude kinda got me leaning towards spending a tad more but getting something I can ride on for more than a year before I step up to the $2000+ range in a year or two

Any other bikes you guys would suggest for <$900

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    What kind of deal would you have if you would buy the Mamba?
    Remember to buy the bike YOU want, not a bike that the shop wants to sell in order to make more money.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    your LBS salesperson makes more money if you buy a more expensive bike, of course, but as a person who has sold dozens of bikes, they are also doing you a huge favor by steering you away from the cheapest bike possible. Like I said, I have met a few people who bought from the cheapest bikes from a brand and later regretted it because upgrading a bike like that is not worth it. (a new decent, non-pogo stick fork will cost a few hundred bucks and you have limited options for G2 forks.) buy cheap- buy twice. trying to maintain a bike for a customer that is riding it beyond what it was made for is also a huge pain for the mechanics and requires more trips to the shop for the customer. if you ride a Wahoo and ride it hard on trails, expect it to spend more time in the shop than a more durable (and expensive) bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Are you sure on the tapered headtube, I was under the impression the Wahoo was 1 1/8?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    The Revel does come in 29".

I was told the Revel had lesser specs than the Wahoo.

Idunno.
    My bad, I guess it does.

Revel 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Looks like the Revel 1 is spec'd a hair (and I mean a hair) better than the Wahoo but they both have low-end components. I would caution readers that sometimes these lower-end bikes don't offer much rear tire clearance beyond what the mfg has spec'd as oem. In both cases these bikes offer a 2.1 and that may be the biggest that will fit. When you look at the bikes in the shop, look at the clearance out back and as the salesperson what the largest tire would be for the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Are you sure on the tapered headtube, I was under the impression the Wahoo was 1 1/8?
    You're right. I was looking at the HT and not reading the specs.

singletrak junkie

Good job!

I purchased a mamba and I never thought i would love riding singletrac so much..after 1500 miles in the dirt, and riding a friends more $$$ bike, I wish I would have spent more and got better components , but I had know idea how much fun this is. All in all, I have a blast on my mamba . IMO, get the best ya can, you will have no regrets. I am soo glad I didnt get the one I thought I wanted (based on price) .The salesman was correct , that the mamba would be an great choice for me at the time. I,m under 270 lbs..was 300 before i got the bike
    Last edited by spk1264; 12-30-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: messed up
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have a 2012 trek marlin SS 29er SS and I love it! The front fork is garbage and already needs replacing. Try and find a left over 2012 because I got the marlin for just $450 because they wanted to clear out for the 2013's it's the same bike minus some anodized parts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Trek Wahoo will utilize the G2 geometry whereas the Giant will not.
    +1. I've ridden both Treks and Giants, and love the feel of the Treks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    My bad, I guess it does.

Revel 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Looks like the Revel 1 is spec'd a hair (and I mean a hair) better than the Wahoo but they both have low-end components. I would caution readers that sometimes these lower-end bikes don't offer much rear tire clearance beyond what the mfg has spec'd as oem. In both cases these bikes offer a 2.1 and that may be the biggest that will fit. When you look at the bikes in the shop, look at the clearance out back and as the salesperson what the largest tire would be for the bike.
    A Geax Saguro 2.2 fits a 212 Wahoo with at least .5" clearance.

mtbr member
    For the money it's decent! I have a friend riding the Trek Wahoo right now and he is very happy with it!

singletrak junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar83 View Post
    I have a 2012 trek marlin SS 29er SS and I love it! The front fork is garbage and already needs replacing. Try and find a left over 2012 because I got the marlin for just $450 because they wanted to clear out for the 2013's it's the same bike minus some anodized parts.
    they might have firmer replacement springs for that fork, I know they have them for the 289 tora rock shox, found on the mamba
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was in the same boat recently and chose to spend the extra money ($850) and purchased the 12'Mamba.

I have not rode a bike in over 12 years but I preferred to spend a little more now than to have to spend it later or at least not anytime soon...

at the end of the day, I never rode a bike in all these yrs so I have nothing to compare mine to and I didn't test ride any others either...

get what you can and enjoy it.

PS I purchased 13'3500 Trek for my gf 26"...once she breaks it in, ill ride them both and give my comparison...obviously 2 completely different bikes but maybe I can speak on $400 bike vs $900 and see if really worth it for someone new.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by spk1264 View Post
    they might have firmer replacement springs for that fork, I know they have them for the 289 tora rock shox, found on the mamba
    It's not that really. The lockout is stuck in the locked position, it made a huge sucking sound before it got stuck, and its 6lbs. I'm prob gonna buy a carbon rigid fork once I find one on CL or eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Im in a dilema. I can get a Trek Wahoo 2013 under retail price or a Kona Mahuna 2012 with a decent disscount. Any advice?

I am finally getting a 29er, i do mainly cc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The trek wahoo frame is the same as the X cal, Gary Fisher is the way to go. I purchased a Cobia and upgraded with the parts I like. Depending on how big you are and the type of riding you will be doing, look into fork upgrade with the wahoo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast