mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Trek v Giant v Specialized ---- SOS ------

Hello there fellow mud n trail fiends....

This is an SOS call to prevent further insanity as I decide between the following 2013 models as to begin my 29er journey into dirt, mud, mayhem and sweet adrenalin bliss !

Trek Cobia vs Giant XTC 29er vs Specialized Rockhopper Comp

With my budget spread across these three models it seems the Trek and Giant are comparable on componentry both with air shocks. The Specialized yet seems to have a superior frame/geometry however lacks air shocks and componentry by comparison, thus further upgrades warranted in months/years to come anyhow.

With each of my LBS dealing exclusively on one brand an unbiased opinion escapes me arghhhhhh!

The local Giant store didn't seem too concerned whether they would make a sale from me instead I couldn't help but notice a prominently positioned price list for servicing on the wall which included $5 for 5 minutes - is expert advice now chargeable, thank gawddd for this forum!

By comparison Trek and Spesh seemed more forthcoming and reassuring as to ongoing support and service without an illuminated price list!

Are Giant as ego-centric as their distributor came across?

Thanks to you all for your input and providing relief from sheer insanity ...

Happy riding !

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's the problem with some LBS. A poor one can put you off to a certain brand of bikes even tho that bike might be the ideal fit for you. If you're a DIYer then I'd just get whichever bike feels best to you, provided there's a noticeable difference. But it is nice to have a friendly and competent LBS that can further your riding experience by recommending trails, events, products, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're not going to care. You're going to do all your tuning, maintenance and upgrades yourself. And we're going to help you. Us, YouTube and Pink Bike Tech Tuesdays vids.
    Look at Scott bikes, they and Trek have slack head tube angles and short chain stays for the best current geo. The Airborne new Goblin has a very good value mix of components with good geo. The dual air Reba is an excellent fork you won't find on other 2013s.(because it is a 2012 fork)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    FWIW, I've got a 2012 Cobia and it's a great bike. I rode a 26" Giant before (just a Revel nothing special) and I find the geometry of the Cobia much more comfortable. I'm not sure if this is a matter of 29 vs 26, but I feel more 'in the cockpit' as opposed to 'on top of a bike'. Like other said, you'll find small issues with all bikes so you'll probably upgrade as you go along. One thing to think about is the G2 geometry of treks can make fork upgrades a bit more difficult, I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for all the feedback so far, still hope to get further responses from all sides yet I think one can over analyse rendering the decision making process a pain in the backside... Case in point, just read some sweet reviews on the Airborne Goblin as a real value for money proposition, yet given I'm in Australia this rules out the opportunity to get my hands on one...meh!

A visit to my LBS dealing in spesh bikes didn't paint a clearer picture with the guy in the shop not at all motivated to make a sale. With the retail climate down here shot to pieces and shops discounting massively to make a sale I'm not seeing the same with the bike shops, is haggling on the best price for a bike taboo???

Still, I will reserve my decision a few more days and let the light bulb moment present itself soon ; P

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick76 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback so far, still hope to get further responses from all sides yet I think one can over analyse rendering the decision making process a pain in the backside... Case in point, just read some sweet reviews on the Airborne Goblin as a real value for money proposition, yet given I'm in Australia this rules out the opportunity to get my hands on one...meh!

A visit to my LBS dealing in spesh bikes didn't paint a clearer picture with the guy in the shop not at all motivated to make a sale. With the retail climate down here shot to pieces and shops discounting massively to make a sale I'm not seeing the same with the bike shops, is haggling on the best price for a bike taboo???

Still, I will reserve my decision a few more days and let the light bulb moment present itself soon ; P
    You always haggle with the price and have cash in hand to see if they'll make a deal. Internet retailers might not be a great option as shipping or possible import fees could negate any savings. You might be best off going with whatever brand has the best support for upgrading.

And you are over thinking it. No matter what you get you'll probably wonder if some other bike was a better match.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Amid all the confusion of over-analyzing each make I decided on spending a few extra dollars and settled for a Specialized Carve Comp, went for the 2012 which enabled me to haggle on price, yes its heavier than the 2013 version however I figure I can modify if need be to lighten etc...

Looking forward to some serious off-road testing...

Thanks all again for your feedback! Happy riding!