mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Trek top fuel 9 vs Scott Spark 920

Guys with the recent drop in price on top fuel 9 and spark 920, I am having trouble deciding on what bike to buy. I have ridden both and aside from carbon on the spark and X1 group on top fuel that seem to be the main differences, just having trouble deciding. Both bikes ride great but the lifetime warranty on the trek frame is nice as well. I am a 6 hour racer that races to stay in great shape and enjoy the ride. THOUGHTS...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You couldn't really tell any difference in the handling characteristics? The geo is different enough that you should probably notice something though it might be minute.

If you don't find much difference then just go by whatever arbitrary factor as it doesn't seem like performance is an issue.

Personally it'd be whether I want carbon or AL frame and if in a 6 hr ride how much difference it made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Only got to ride them both for an hour a piece in a pretty flowy trail at a demo event. So both bikes felt great there. Top fuel felt slightly more aggressive but coming from an epic doesn't bother me at all. The Scott felt a little more relaxed. Then again these 2 bikes were probably not set up perfectly for me either. The Scott will cost me about $400 more, gets me a carbon frame but GX components instead of X1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Was the Spark setup in high or low geo mode? Spark will have some slacker trail character built in to it.. even more as an option in low mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    '12 Scott Spark 29 Team
    '13 Scott Scale 970
    '11 Scott Speedster S20
    '99 Spec' FSR Comp
    '9x Spec' Hardrock Cromo rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    You can also change the geometry of the Top Fuel with the adjustment in the rear linkage. I've not done that to mine yet but it can be done.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 2017 Top Fuel will likely have the new SID RLC with the Charger damper in Boost. That's an upgrade.
    2017 RockShox SID fork - Mtbr.com I'd like that fork.
    The 16 XX has a damper with no small bump compliance that packs up on fast downs with bumps. The RCT3 metal shim stack damper swap takes 20 minutes with no oil change and solves that, but you lose the remote lockout.
    Boost front and rear allows you to run wide rims and you have options for tires. The XR1 2.0s the 16 comes with are also offered in 2.2 XR1 Teams, a very good tire for 30mm id rims. I'd have the dealer swap for those tires as part of the negotiations. A 'sale' price means Trek has lowered the price. You should still be able to find a manager only, don't talk price with a sales guy, who will work with you on price and spec changes to get a deal done. I'd be looking to pay 2500 + tax.