banned
    Apr 2009

TREK Superfly (head Angles question)

I have a new Superfly Elite and it has very slack head angles (which are great!!) but the Superfly 100's have the old 71/74 geometry. I know that NINER has the Fully's and Hardtails still at 71/74 basically. I know the trend (especially with Trail bikes) is now toward a slacker geometry.

The Rumblefish (trail model) for TREK has a slacker angle (than Superfly 100)--but still not as slack as the Superfly Hardtails... I know the magazines reviews 'rave' about the KONA's and other bike models that have Very Slack angles (67 degree head tube)---ALSO I read a review in BIKE (i think) a while back where they actually put longer trail forks (or Angleset's) on the frame to slacken up trail...

So knowing this (and the fact that Superfly Hardtails are soo slack now) I wonder why the Superfly 100's (and even the Rumblefish) are not Slacker?? Because it has made a HUGE difference (to me) on my new Superfly (compared to my G1 Paragon that had 71/74...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can't compare the Trek's angles directly, you need to look at trail numbers instead. Add roughly a degree to compensate for the extra fork offset of G2, but that's not "exact".

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Between the S/fly hardtail and dually its about .4 to .7 degrees....(70 to 69.3/6) - thats not really a huge difference.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

banned
    Apr 2009
    for the new Superfly 100's AL Elite (size medium) it is 71 degrees compared to my Superfly Hardtail Elite at 69.3.

That is basically 2 degrees.. BUT I thought that the Fully's would benefit from even a 'slacker' angle than the Hardtails (at least according to Bike and Dirtrag reviews I have been reading all year) when it seams like every reviewer states that for trail and even XC fully's the 'Slacker the Better' (and how they prefer even slacker angles form bikes that are still 1.5-2 degrees slacker than the new Superfly 100's....)

All I know now is that I thought my next bike would be a Superfly 100 (BUT WILL Be a Rumblefish Instead!!)-----because my new Superfly has 100mm fork (and know now with a Fully I would definately want a 120mm, and would want an even slacker angle than the 69.3 that I have on my Hardtail---with the Fish' at 68.3.. ALSO saw that last year this was one of the 'Bikes of the Year'
    Last edited by 247; 08-26-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Formerly of Kent
    The FS will slack out when the suspension is sagged under the rider's weight.

MTB B'dos
    As Duke said, when you get on a HT, only place that SAGs is the fork, hence the HA actually steepens a bit, hence the slightly slacker angles on the HT as compared to the FS where the front and rear both SAG keeping the angles somewhat relatively the same.
    Last edited by LyNx; 08-26-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It would be a lot easier if Trek just measured the head angle of the bike with sag.