mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Trek superfly 100 upgrades wheels and shock

Hi folks i was wondering could someone let me know what is a good set of wheels to upgrade to. Its got the bontrager TLR wheelset.
    I also wanted to change the rear shock as it just docent seem to make any difference when i adjust the CTD mode.
    Any ideas?
    I am doing the Pioneer race in November and can't really afford a new bike.
    Any tips or ideas would be most welcome
    thanks in advance MikeyP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek superfly 100 upgrades wheels and shock-img_2912.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A 30-35mm inner width rim wheelset would let you run a high volume rounded profile tire at probably 5psi less than you are now. More traction and no foldover worries will get you more confidence and speed. Tires if you can find them would be Bonty XR1 2.2 Team rear and XR2 2.35 Team front.

mtbr member

You could send the shock to Fox or another entity for repair, or buy a new shock, such as a Rockshox Monarch rt3. Fox wanted $140 to repair my shock, which is half what a new one costs.

I don't think wheels make a whole lot of difference. Ride yours tubeless until they break. I have Shimano wheels, which don't require rim tape or a rim strip. I like that.
    Last edited by MikeDee; 11-27-2017 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    A 30-35mm inner width rim wheelset would let you run a high volume rounded profile tire at probably 5psi less than you are now. More traction and no foldover worries will get you more confidence and speed. Tires if you can find them would be Bonty XR1 2.2 Team rear and XR2 2.35 Team front.
    Hiya bud thanks so much for the reply and advice.

Can you recommend some wheels in the size you suggested?

The current ones on the bike are Bontrager RL 6000 series (TLR)

they came with the bike. I bought it in 2013 on special as no one in Perth wanted a dedicated XC bike.

thanks in advance Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee View Post
    You could send the shock to Fox or another entity for repair, or buy a new shock, such as a Rockshox Monarch rt3.
    Hey Mike thanks again for your advice mate. Do you know if the Rockshox monarch would fit straight onto this bike?
    thanks bud

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyP65 View Post
    Hey Mike thanks again for your advice mate. Do you know if the Rockshox monarch would fit straight onto this bike?
    thanks bud
    I have an older Superfly 100 Al Pro and installed one (the Debonair version). You have to get one with the same length and stroke, and the correct mounting hardware with the proper width. I used the Fox mounting hardware.
    Last edited by MikeDee; 11-28-2017 at 08:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    re the shock, i highly recommend the manitou mcleod. user dougal here is the NZ/AUS distributor for manitou and a highly capable tech / engineer. i suggest you get in touch with him.
    the mcleod is a very good shock; better than the fox's and RS's in my eyes (was heaps better than a kashima to of the line ctd shock. HEAPS.).

you can read some here - Manitou Mcleod Rear Shock.
    dougal - http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=235981.

Oren

p.s. wheels are very budget dependent... i'd build a good rim-hub-spoke combo. for pure XC... maybe arc24(27 if you wanna go wide) on DT350 and Sapim lasers / cx-rays. santa cruz specs these on the tallboy which is XC/trail.

good builder and you have a winner set of wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use a 30mm inner on a carbon Superfly. I would not go skinnier than 30 for the rear, depending on the max tire width your rear chainstays/seatstays will allow. If you frame is aluminum you should check the XR2 2.35. For that tire 35mm will give you the best performance, imo. If the max is 2.2 the XR1 2.2 Team performs best for me on a 30mm inner rim wheel. These tires are different in design from Maxxis or Schwalbe tires. Those were designed when rims were 19mm wide. They do not have as round a profile as the more recently designed XR tires. They square off on wide rims and the edge lugs don't engage properly. The XRs are more recently designed. They are higher volume and have a more rounded profile.

A wheelset depends on how cheap you can get the parts. For me DT 350 hubs from one of the German sites like Bike 24, bikecomponents.de, Hibike etc. with asym carbon rims from Carbonfan and Sapim Laser spokes with Sapim Polyax brass nipples would be the way I'd go on your bike. WTB has good aluminum asym rims for a bit less possibly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for the really helpful replies chaps very much appreciated. Will keep you updated as to progress'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OrenPerets View Post
    re the shock, i highly recommend the manitou mcleod. user dougal here is the NZ/AUS distributor for manitou and a highly capable tech / engineer. i suggest you get in touch with him.
    the mcleod is a very good shock; better than the fox's and RS's in my eyes (was heaps better than a kashima to of the line ctd shock. HEAPS.).

you can read some here - Manitou Mcleod Rear Shock.
    dougal - http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=235981.

Oren

p.s. wheels are very budget dependent... i'd build a good rim-hub-spoke combo. for pure XC... maybe arc24(27 if you wanna go wide) on DT350 and Sapim lasers / cx-rays. santa cruz specs these on the tallboy which is XC/trail.

good builder and you have a winner set of wheels.
    The Mcloud doesn't come in the proper length and stroke to fit my Superfly 100. I suspect the OP will have the same problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi folks i was wondering could someone let me know what is a good set of wheels to upgrade to. Its got the bontrager TLR wheelset.
    I also wanted to change the rear shock as it just docent seem to make any difference when i adjust the CTD mode.
    Any ideas?
    thanks in advance MikeyP
    Mikey,
    what type of race is the Pioneer race? What type of trails do you usually ride in? If the race is more of a traditional XC race, the inner width of your rims should probably be somewhere between 23mm-28mm. For rougher terrain, or a race that is more for a trail bike type terrain, then a inner width >28mm would be best. I have those same wheels on a hardtail, and they are heavy and the inner width is probably around 22mm. I used NoTubes Crest wheels and they were a lot lighter, if you want a more durable but slightly heeavier wheelset the NoTubes Arch would do...

As for the suspension, check with Fox and try to get there newer CTD shocks. The shock that came on that bike is not a CTD, but instead has a open and 'semi-locked', that shock is never truly locked. The Fox CTD shocks and forks that came on the next generation of Trek Superfly's (2013 and later) had a true lockout.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a Superfly 100 carbon pro and a Bronson.

1. Send fork and shock to Push.
    2. Keep wheels about the same but stiffer. I run DtSwiss and Stans rim. Don't go crazy wide... get a different bike for that.
    3. Change stem and bars to more modern. Mine went from 100 to 70, then 780ish bars.
    4. Add dropper post.

All said those changes turned my wimpy XC bike into a respectable short travel trail bike. It turned into a great bike, very fun. Keep it light. Its not an Enduro, never will be. Its not gonna do big drops. But it will be really fast and razor sharp handling and work on most trails very well.

Any ideas?
    thanks in advance MikeyP

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    We were kind of in the same situation recently and took my wife's 2012 Superfly that already had an upgraded CTD shock (few years old) and the original SID XX to a local tuner in Durango. Diaz Supsension did an awesome job tuning both for her weight and riding style. True 3 shock settings and more plush on small stuff w/ being more progressive for larger hits. He added a new topcap to run tokens and removed spacer to get 100mm on the fork that was originally 80. Both shock and fork are better than new. I don't know what access you have to suspension tuners but it is a wise investment. If you end up replacing the fork you may consider a 120mm.
    I would also recommend either rebuilding wheels with Chinese carbon rims or buying new DT350/Light Bicycle or CarbonFan carbon rims. For that bike I would recommend 27-28mm interior rims. Not sure what limitations the rear end has. She is running 24mm interior/30mm exterior carbon rims with 2.3 tires and they were a great upgrade to her alloy rims.
    Agree on wider bars and dropper too. Makes it a little more "trail" worthy.
    Good luck.