23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Superfly 100 SL

16 69.57%
  • Superfly 100 AL Pro

7 30.43%
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trek Superfly 100 SL vs. Trek Superfly 100 AL Pro

Both of the bikes are the same price and I am torn between either getting the carbon with slightly lesser components or the aluminum with the higher end components. Which way would you guys go?

mtbr member
    I would look at it this way the Al Pro will have nicer parts but you will have a lesser frame but the Sl will have lesser parts but you have a better frame to build upon. With whatever you get you will have similaur frame designs and you will be satisfied

mtbr member
    You have to decide which is more important to you:
    Less weight=faster overall speed, only if you are racing xc or doing a lot of climbing.
    Better components=better shift quality, less adjusting and maybe longer life if you ride enough to even notice.
    Reality is the lesser components on the lighter bike are so far superior to a few years ago that you would never regret them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for your guy's input, I think I'm leaning toward the carbon because like you said you can always upgrade the components but it's not feasible to upgrade the frame if I ever decided I wanted something lighter. Do you have any experience with sram components?

mtbr member
    SL if you are the type of person that desires upgrades, regardless of your initial purchase. If you know you'll drop cash on new components in the future, buy the carbon bike.

AL if you will ride it like it is, and never modify it. Since both frames are very nice, I'd rather be stuck with the higher performing drivetrain and wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd have the shop weigh them both in front of you. Then I'd go with the lighter of the 2, for me X9 works great, I don't see that as being "Low-End". If you can ask the shop if they'll give you a discount to trade in that crank and go 2x10, you'll better off in the long run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwaldo View Post
    Thanks for your guy's input, I think I'm leaning toward the carbon because like you said you can always upgrade the components but it's not feasible to upgrade the frame if I ever decided I wanted something lighter. Do you have any experience with sram components?
    I was in the exact same position as you when i bought my 2011 superfly 100 or the al hifi and when i say exact i mean exact. I chose to go carbon with lesser components and i have been riding the bike for about 2 years now and almost nothing is stock. I am so happy I went with the carbon and built upon the frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I would go with the Superfly SL 100. You can always upgrade
    the components.

reading comprehension wat
    Not a fan of the AL Pro's color scheme.

I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I just got the base 100 SL myself. I did swap out a good deal of the parts immediately. I will say for the triple to double swap (if that's what you want), you will need to change front derailleur, and crank, and actually maybe the front shifter since I think SRAM doesn't have the 2x/3x compatibility. Other users might be able to comment on the need to change the shifter or not.

Also to consider is the frame suspension itself. The carbon frames have a revised rear end travel and are actually 100mm vs 110mm that's on the alum models. One can only assume they tuned the travel in some way to optimise it rather than just shorten it to save some weight. I don't know about that though.

FYI, the base wheels on the bike are rather heavy at 2100g or so for the SL model. You can drop a pound easily.

The color for the 100 SL is cooler too, but that's just my opinion.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Happy owner of a SL Elite here. I would choose the base Carbon Bike over the Elite Alu any time.

The carbon frame is an amazing piece of engineering. Very stiff, yet light and comfortable, it is a great bike for long rides. The suspension feels very balanced and really helps you to maximize traction.
    I would go for the Carbon bike, swap out the wheels and go for 2x10 setup, try to get a deal on that with your LBS.

Also the design of the carbon bike, thanks to the internal cable routing, is very smooth and clean. In my opinion a way better looking bike than the AL model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I guess I'll be the odd one. I bought the AL Pro because of the shimano setup over sram and avid brakes. If you add up how much you would spend in component upgrades and wheels your looking at $1000-$1500 or more all said and done. I personally don't like the feel of sram shifters and the best brakes out there are xt/xtr's. Mine in 21" weighed 28lbs stock with pedals. Only 1.5lbs over my built up Fuel 90. So I can still save some weight without dropping to much money. I agree carbon is awesome but to spend that much extra to get it to run like you want is more than I'm willing to spend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vcnlite View Post
    I guess I'll be the odd one. I bought the AL Pro because of the shimano setup over sram and avid brakes. If you add up how much you would spend in component upgrades and wheels your looking at $1000-$1500 or more all said and done. I personally don't like the feel of sram shifters and the best brakes out there are xt/xtr's. Mine in 21" weighed 28lbs stock with pedals. Only 1.5lbs over my built up Fuel 90. So I can still save some weight without dropping to much money. I agree carbon is awesome but to spend that much extra to get it to run like you want is more than I'm willing to spend.
    I believe people are getting their 100SLs with weights right around 28 lbs with pedals so weight seems like a wash. I agree that if you don't want to swap stuff, the AL Pro is the way to go. With the assumption that changes would occur, the nicer frame in the SL gives you something better to start with.

Personally, I swapped out the following straight out of the box - crest wheelset, XT rear derailleur, brakes, shifters, cassette, and then SLX crank and front derailleur. I am really liking the shimano brakes over the avids, since my last 5 bikes had elixers/juicy brakes. great stuff, but a little heavy. With all these changes, and my Eggbeaters installed, I'm at 25lbs 2oz. Obviously I've spent a good bit extra already, but without a doubt the wheelset lost be the most weight, something like 1.25lbs for the wheels straight up, not counting the tubeless weight savings either.

I'm still doing better than getting the Elite SL model since the price difference is about $1700. I believe the elite comes in at 25 lbs too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    I believe people are getting their 100SLs with weights right around 28 lbs with pedals so weight seems like a wash. I agree that if you don't want to swap stuff, the AL Pro is the way to go. With the assumption that changes would occur, the nicer frame in the SL gives you something better to start with.

Personally, I swapped out the following straight out of the box - crest wheelset, XT rear derailleur, brakes, shifters, cassette, and then SLX crank and front derailleur. I am really liking the shimano brakes over the avids, since my last 5 bikes had elixers/juicy brakes. great stuff, but a little heavy. With all these changes, and my Eggbeaters installed, I'm at 25lbs 2oz. Obviously I've spent a good bit extra already, but without a doubt the wheelset lost be the most weight, something like 1.25lbs for the wheels straight up, not counting the tubeless weight savings either.

I'm still doing better than getting the Elite SL model since the price difference is about $1700. I believe the elite comes in at 25 lbs too.
    What did your upgrades cost you?

banned
    Apr 2009
    that's an easy one! if you are a Clyde go with the Aluminum (like me)----I don't care what folks say how tough carbon is--if you have ever seen a carbon frame break, you would understand.. Especially in Southeastern Pa. (and the rockiest/rootiest trails in the Country)--

Mt Gretna Singletrack - YouTube

Area 58. Mt Penn GoPro HD - YouTube

BUT Forgot! not too many Fully's here (we Man-Up and ride the Rocky Stuff on Hardtails mostly!!!)

Rocky Ridge - YouTube

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwaldo View Post
    What did your upgrades cost you?
    Hmm, I'd rather not think about it too much, but it cost just under $1300. This doesn't count selling off the parts I have, which I'm still working on. I hope to sell back the original stuff and get about $500, so that means I'm out about $800. Still saves me $900 over the elite.

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Out of the Box my 19" Elite came in at 11.08kg, about 24,5lbs

Try to work out a deal with your LBS on the bikes and your desired specifications. My first choice was the SL, but like notenoughtime mentioned, there are some parts you would change on the SL to turn it from a great bike into a brilliant bike. When looking at the upgrades and talking to my LBS we worked out a deal and I ordered an Elite.

The only upgrades still on my list for the Elite are the brakes and seatpost. Not that the XT brakes are no good, but I prefer brakes with a little more feedbak or feel. The XT brakes are very powerfull and a great set of brakes, but I prefer the feel of Hopes. So IŽll be changing them, and fit a 183mm front rotor, in the next few weeks.
    My only dislike with the seatpost is that it is not carbon. And also I changed the bars and stem for raceface, shorter and wider, so a matching stem would be nice.

In general I can only recommend the superfly, AL or Carbon. Did my first 50+ miles ride with the SF yesterday. HavenŽt been that comfortable that long on any bike, absolutely a great bike for long trail rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J79 View Post
    Out of the Box my 19" Elite came in at 11.08kg, about 24,5lbs
    \
    With or without pedals?

J79
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    With or without pedals?
    Yup, just the bike, without any pedals