mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Trek Superfly 100 Elite - it's damn light!

What's everyone's opinion on the Trek Superfly 100 Elite - it was one of the lightest 29er full suspension i have ever lifted.....every 29er FS and hardtail has been so heavy compared to my 10 year old 2001 Santa Cruz (Sid 80mm fork with CrossMax wheelsets)....until the Trek Superfly. I'm seriously impressed with the weight and the groupsets (fox fork...saliva dribble.....) that comes with it - and it's not at the super expensive pricing too to get that kind of lightness.

Didn't test ride it but i'm like blown away with the lightness.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love mine. I've got two seasons on it now and not a single problem. I upgraded the saddle, tires and went tubeless. I can ride all day with no fatigue or soreness and the bike climbs really well- much better than my last GF 29'er hardtail. You'll be hard pressed to find a negative review of them by anyone who actually owns one.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    All that lightness comes at a price - durability. The first generation, 2010 Gary Fissure Superfly 100 was so light....it crumbled under normal riding conditions, at a 97% fail rate. I've been following this bike for the past 3 years, and it finally looks like Trek took over and rectified all the SF100 shortcomings, with beefier uni-directional carbon overlays, in the seat tube, head tube bearing ports and problematic chainstay bridge.

The most refined Superfly 100 was the 2012 SF100 Pro carbon, with the 142x12 rear axle, dated, direct-mount FD mount and massive front triangle tubing. I still cannot believe Trek whittled the new 2013 Superfly 100 Pro SL down a full pound. Well, I finally test rode it and indeed it felt quite flexy, compared to the previous 2012 SF100 Pro....what I now own.

My buddy owns a Trek shop and he is now reporting a few of the 2013s are beginning to come in for warranty claims. Let's see what the final, year-end tally becomes.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    ha.....but the version i saw was the aluminium version - it's still swimming in my mind how light it was - my jaw dropped when i lifted it......it was the lightest 29er i ever 'picked' up. And i can't get it out of my mind....i'm still fighting buyer remorse over the Cube AMS 120 due to checking out the Trek - i've had only one ride with the Cube though it was heavy it was a great ride - very stout/burly and nearly a magic carpet ride. Stuff that were previously a 'whoa' moment is now a 'that was it?'.

Quote Originally Posted by Machoman121 View Post
    ha.....but the version i saw was the aluminium version - it's still swimming in my mind how light it was - my jaw dropped when i lifted it......it was the lightest 29er i ever 'picked' up. And i can't get it out of my mind....i'm still fighting buyer remorse over the Cube AMS 120 due to checking out the Trek - i've had only one ride with the Cube though it was heavy it was a great ride - very stout/burly and nearly a magic carpet ride. Stuff that were previously a 'whoa' moment is now a 'that was it?'.
    The cube does have a nice ride, but it's heavy just like the Trek Rumblefish. Lots of Superflys on eBay....never too late!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ya I made the mistake of looking the Superfly over at the LBS that I just purchsed my Marlin from. LOL this will probably be the next bike purchase, I decided that no upgrades to the Marlin unless something wears out or breaks, except for saddle and seat. All other upgrade money will be put in savings and start saving for the purchase. So maybe about April/May of 2014 I will have one unless I end up with some awesome bonus checks this year.

Once you test-ride a Superfly...you won't want to leave the store without it. The defining "moment" of true glory, is when you take it for it's first ride on your favorite trail - bring a timer...because your new lap times will blow your mind!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2013 Superfly 100 Pro here, love it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    link is dead

Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    Don't believe everything you read. Believe everything you RIDE....

mtbr member
    The Superfly is a great bike with a race oriented geometry. It's not designed for taking big drops and hero lines, but it certainly can do those things with a smooth rider. The components on the bike, Fox Float and whatever drivetrain associated with each model does seem to make it one of the best values on the market. Our shop sells a lot of Trek and I don't see any warranty issues but that being said we've sold many of their aluminum bikes while most of the carbon sales are going to Santa Cruz and Specialized (from what we offer).