mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Trek Stache - Comfort/Fit Issues?

The short version of my story is that this bike beats the crap out of me every time I ride it.
    This is my 3rd 29er (all have been hardtails - the first 2 were steel). The Stache is so stiff that it really tracks well and responds to rider input quickly. I'm starting to wonder if all that lateral stiffness gives the bike a harsh vertical ride as well.
    I run 2.2" wide tires in the low 20psi range. Aluminum frame, and aluminum seatpost. I installed a carbon handlebar, thinking it would make things a bit more comfy. I'm a little under 5'9", and riding the 17" size.
    Every little rock or root that I roll over while seated seems to go right up my spine. I guess I should stand up more...?
    And my hands always try to go numb, which hasn't been an issue with my last 2 bikes.
    Just asking if anyone else has found this bike to be as harsh-riding as I have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bummer. You should try a ti or carbon post maybe? Sounds like your tire pressure is reasonable, so there's not much else to suggest. I hope you can get it sorted out.

Bike everywhere!
    Jul 2011
    I agree with the carbon post, it can make a big difference. But at the end of the day, it's an aluminum frame and steel is typically much more comfy to ride.
    Also, if you wear gloves or riding shorts and they are a few seasons old, they could be worth replacing. I've always noticed considerable differences in old vs. new gear.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Trek Stache - Comfort/Fit Issues?

Try a slightly bigger rear tire so you can run slightly less pressure.

I notice a huge comfort difference between a Crossmark 2.1 and a Bontrager 29-3 2.35. And the 29-3 rolls almost as well.

Also, believe it or not the Stache isn't the stiffest bike I have ridin. The stiffest would be a Performance bike Alu Access 29er. Holy cow stiff as heck. 2nd would be a 08ish Trek rig single speed.
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter View Post
    Try a slightly bigger rear tire so you can run slightly less pressure.

I notice a huge comfort difference between a Crossmark 2.1 and a Bontrager 29-3 2.35. And the 29-3 rolls almost as well.

Also, believe it or not the Stache isn't the stiffest bike I have ridin. The stiffest would be a Performance bike Alu Access 29er. Holy cow stiff as heck. 2nd would be a 08ish Trek rig single speed.
    I just traded up from an Access 29er to a Stache 8. I'm a clyde, and although the Access is not as compliant, but I don't find either one of those to be harsh :~)

There are some carbon seatposts and bars that could cut down the harshness. The Niner RDO seatpost (even in 31.6, which is the size that fits the Stache) and new RDO Flat Top bar both do an excellent job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My Scott Scale was super chatty and beat the crap out of me too. I got a carbon post which helped but it was still worse than my 26er hardtail. I eventually found the saddle to be the main cause as it didn't support my butt in any sort of way that was comfortable. It felt like my bones were sitting right on the rails. I changed the saddle to a Charge Spoon and I could feel the difference right away. Now that it is all broken in the saddle/seatpost combo is pretty compliant and boingy.

Carbon bars do help a whole lot but only up front. Take a look at the saddle to see if that area is a problem.

mtbr member
    Oury grips have a bit more cushion them, maybe think about a suspension seat post. Also, do you ride clipless? A good set of MTB shoes can also help making you more stable on the down hills.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If your hands are going numb, i'd say that is likely a fit issue...possibly too much reach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    The short version of my story is that this bike beats the crap out of me every time I ride it.
    This is my 3rd 29er (all have been hardtails - the first 2 were steel). The Stache is so stiff that it really tracks well and responds to rider input quickly. I'm starting to wonder if all that lateral stiffness gives the bike a harsh vertical ride as well.
    I run 2.2" wide tires in the low 20psi range. Aluminum frame, and aluminum seatpost. I installed a carbon handlebar, thinking it would make things a bit more comfy. I'm a little under 5'9", and riding the 17" size.
    Every little rock or root that I roll over while seated seems to go right up my spine. I guess I should stand up more...?
    And my hands always try to go numb, which hasn't been an issue with my last 2 bikes.
    I normally ride a tallboy LTc which is extremely plush and I can pretty much sit and spin over everything. I borrowed a stache 8 and did about 20 miles with 3K elevation on some not so rough terrain (a few spots were rough) and I felt like the stache was very comfortable. Tires were stock and at 25 psi (Im 165) I didnt get any hot spots or numbness.

Thudbuster is a suspension post that gets pretty good reviews.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

The Stock Stache seat I saw looked painful..

My Stock Scott Aspect 940 seat was a killer. The dealer gave me five bucks for it,,suckers LOL

I got the ISM Adamo peak, no more pain at all.

Adamo Peak | Ideal Saddle Modification

Trek Stache - Comfort/Fit Issues?-img_20130323_160249_031.jpg

mtbr member
    Sounds like you should look into a FS bike...

mtbr member
    I'm running 18 max in the rear with no loss of stability and a much smoother ride than even the low 20s would give. This will depend a bit on your weight but take as much pressure out of the rear tire as you can.

The smoothing effect of a big low pressure tire is many times greater than any flexi post, squishy saddle or compliant frame. That said, the smoothest ride will be a combination of all those things. I have a Syntace HiFlex on one bike that I can feel making a difference, though itís still a hardtail.

I think the fitter, more enthusiastic and technically skilled rider you become the less time you will spend in the saddle and that makes a big difference here too. Over time you will learn to pick lines carefully and take your weight off the saddle automatically for bigger bumps too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'll add anither bit of info that came to mind since I posted.
    First is that I started riding this bike about 5 months ago, and loved riding it in the winter and early spring. Now that more trails are open, I've been doing longer rides over rougher terrain, and riding more aggressively. Longer rides also mean that I'm getting tired and sitting more...
    I think I'll try a fatter rear tire and run lower pressure first. That seems like a relatively low-cost experiment.
    As far as saddles, I'm using the WTB Silverado. I've used this saddle on quite a few bikes, but most of those have been FS bikes. So, yes - the somewhat thin saddle may have something to do with it as well.
    Thanks for all the ideas, it really helps!
    At the end of the day, I may just be more of a FS kind of rider.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mhickey79 View Post
    Interesting. I found the Stache to be very compliant for alu. It certainly was nicer to ride than a recent spin on a new carbon HT on the market. I could bomb pretty good down rocky trails on it at around 26psi in the stock tires tubeless. Try a Niner RDO post on there. It is the nicest riding carbon post in that big diameter I have tried. The stock seat is not so special either. Maybe something like a WTB Pure V for more cush.

But that will do nothing if you are standing, obviously.

Maybe I am just heavy enough in the LG size frame to make the diff...around 195 all ready to ride.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    For your hands going numb, try rotating the handlebar up or down. I was fussing with the setup on one of my bikes over the winter, and found that rotating the handlebars up just a few degrees made both of my hands go numb in less than five minutes. I rotated the bar back down and have no problems.

singletrak junkie
    I ditched the stock saddle,even tho I liked how the green stripes looked for my older WTB speed V saddle. That seat has been my fav for awhile. I never got used to the feel of padded shorts, but they might help also. My ergon grips helped out my wrist problem. Love my Green #8
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My HT bike not comfy ride but it's a HT bike! Try to stand more on the rough stuff....i tend to stand a bunch when i ride it because my local trail bumpy and rocky. Just purchased FS bike and i love it happy trails and go demo some FS bikes
    JUST DO IT