mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Trek or specialized..

I'm 6'3" 270 lbs.. I ride 50 % on road and the other 50 % on trails. Im looking at the trek stache 7 and the specialized rockhopper pro. Close in price.. Some components better some close.. Im looking for some real world experience and opinions on one verses the other.. I definitely want hard tail.. Rear suspension on the street just sucks.. Both bikes are in my price range. I'm currently riding a cannondale v1000. Its an older bike but it's doing what I need for now.. I'm really enjoying riding the trails now but I won't stop riding in the street anytime soon..

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I think that overall, the Stache has a little better component spec in several places, but it does retail for $200 more. The design intent of the two is similar, and both have 120mm forks on them. I think the extra $200 would be worth it in this case for a step up on the 142mm rear through axle, crankset, fork model and brakes alone. JMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^^ agree

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you.. Thats where my thinking was going but with out any experience on either one im a little nervous pulling the trigger.. Any experience with one versus the other as far as dependability and riding experience

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    I think that overall, the Stache has a little better component spec in several places, but it does retail for $200 more. The design intent of the two is similar, and both have 120mm forks on them. I think the extra $200 would be worth it in this case for a step up on the 142mm rear through axle, crankset, fork model and brakes alone. JMHO.
    +1, much better components
    2013 Trek Fuel EX7 FS Trail (26er)
    2014 Kona Process 111a FS Enduro (29er)

mtbr member
    Your not going to get a bad bike either way you go, I my self was looking at the two and I went with the stache and I'm super happy with it. Get ready for a dropper post and new bars it's a must have on this bike.
    A back flip! Hulk Hogan eat your heartout!!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have only rode the Rockhopper Pro EVO around a parking lot after building them. I have been riding a Stache for a year and a half. I have nothing bad to say about the Rockhopper and I have no doubt that it's a fine bike. As for the Stache, being a big guy myself (6'5" and 250lbs), the Stache is a comfortable ride for big guys (possibly a bit stiff for smaller riders?), and is one of the funnest hardtails I have ever ridden.

For the price range you're in, you might also check out the Airborne Goblin EVO. Same design intent, and a very good parts spec for the money, with the possible downside being that it's a mail order bike (no way to test ride, guessing somewhat on sizing - but at 6'3" the XL would most likely be your size), and you'd be responsible for some minor final assembly and tuning yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you for the replys.. Dropper post before the first ride for sure.. Im really liking the stache.. The are none in my area to even look at in person.. I'll check out the airborne after work today.. The stache sounds like it's a little more upright position which I like also..

29ers Forever
    The Stache is much better than the Specialized. The Trek has better components and 29er geometry. It is definitely the best of the two.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thank you.. I'm really thinking payday I'll be ordering the stache.. Im a little excited. Now to figure out which dropper post to get

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho1 View Post
    Thank you.. I'm really thinking payday I'll be ordering the stache.. Im a little excited. Now to figure out which dropper post to get
    The Rockshox Reverb is a good quality dropper at a good price, compared to the KS Lev.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The design intent of the two is similar, and both have 120mm forks on them.