Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek Sawyer

mtbr member

Trek Sawyer

Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Yeah. Looks flexy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    IMO, it looks really sweet - I love the double top tubes from an aesthetic point of view. Would like to see some geo. numbers on it though.
    Enjoy the ride!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by LBIkid
    IMO, it looks really sweet - I love the double top tubes from an aesthetic point of view. Would like to see some geo. numbers on it though.
    Geometry for all the Trek Fisher Collection bikes is on the website.

The bike is suspension corrected for 80mm travel, is a double butted "Platinum Series" ChroMoly, and will not be offered as a frame set initially, but might be down the road.

There are only a few pre-production units floating around right now, so no Sawyers out on the trails yet. I wouldn't expect to see anything for sale until after August.

Holy Land Rider.
    May 2008
    inspired by space frames, no?

mtbr member
    I'm going to order one from my LBS as soon as work picks up a bit.

anyone else smell that?
    well, i better order one before you guys buy them all up.
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

mtbr member
    Need a SS version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Geometry for all the Trek Fisher Collection bikes is on the website.

Hmm...can we call it "Friday morning hang over" on my part. Thanks Ted.
    Enjoy the ride!

human dehumidifier
    IMO the spec doesn't justify the price, but it'll sell because it's sexy
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by byknphil
    Need a SS version.

It's got sliding dropouts and a break in the dropout so you can run it SS or with a belt. I was told earliest arrival would be fall of this year, but not to expect them until late fall/early winter.

Harmonius Wrench
    Need a SS version.
    Has sliding drops with a split for belt drive applications already.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    will not be offered as a frame set initially, but might be down the road.
    Oh man I REALLY hope so!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I'm waiting on more info as well. I contacted my LBS but info is limited right now. Most importantly, I want to know frame and fork weight. If it's reasonable, I may retire my Redline Flight in favor of this bike. Been craving a belt-driven city bike for a while now. This bike and the new Shimano 11 speed Alfine should be available around the same time.

no fat chicks
    Quote Originally Posted by talknopf
    aw man you totally hit the nail on the head
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed racer 30-34 age group

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Uh, no. Common ancestor, that's all.
    http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Need a SS version.
    Check the dropouts on the zoomed pic on the Trak site...it has swinging drop outs

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I'm just glad to see a rigid-forked, geared steel 29er on the market. There aren't too many, and I think that is a nice kind of bike.

That being said, the frame design is all about looks rather than function. Yes, it looks good. But, the extra tubes added on older bikes like the Schwinn Excelsior and British/Chinese/Indian work bikes were put there to compensate for the use of weak steel. Modern bikes don't use weak steel, so the double-diamond is a better way to go. Want it stiffer? Bump up the tubing diameter or increase tubing thickness? Want it more resilient? Decrease tubing diameter or decrease tubing thickness. The extra tubes don't get you there.

Ditto on the curvy tubes. What do curvy tubes mean? Well, they mean straight gauge tubing, because it is quite difficult to get a nice curve on a butted tube if the curve is where a butt transition is. Tubes in the rear triangle have a good reason to be curved- for tire and crank clearance. Tubes in the front generally don't have a good reason for being curved. Even fork crown clearance can be pretty well accommodated by an extension below the dt/ht junction.

All this being said, the weight penalty probably isn't that big compared to a double-diamond steel-framed bike. I remember my first mountain bike was a steel Trek- it was a 1991 Trek 990. Oversized, lugged steel with a Rock Shox RS1 fork. THAT frame was heavy. Add chunky lugs and heavy cast fittings to oversized tubes, and it is no lightweight. It wasn't until my third mountain bike, a Wicked Fat Chance, that I really came to appreciate steel.

How will this one ride? Hard to say. The geometry is a known quantity, so the difference will be in the tubing. Chances are, with Taiwanese manufacture (I'm assuming, could be Chinese) and for a production bike that they don't want to have too many come back for warranty claims, the tubing won't be particularly light. That might please the "stiffer is better" crowd (and the Clydesdales), but I like 'em resilient, myself...

anyone else smell that?
    buzzkill
    1. Your signature can not be longer than 125 characters.

likes to ride bikes
    The Chrysler PT Cruiser of bicycles.

AZ
    banned

Pre war Schwinn's and Excelsior's to name a few .

mtbr member
    Thanks for info! Not sure that I'm happy about my possible future bike being compared to a pt cruiser but maybe you're right.

My lbs is so cool that they said they would be willing to take the parts into stock and price the frame appropriately if that is all I wanted! How cool is that?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    looks Jones-esque

MTBing Ninja Assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    The Chrysler PT Cruiser of bicycles.

LMAO

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Saw it in person at the Subaru Cup in WI. Didn't get a chance to pick it up for a feel on the weight, but it didn't look to heavy. The top two tubes are pretty skinny and the other tubes look to be on par in size to other steel bikes. The actual designer of the bike was there and had his personal prototype out and was riding it around. Might have to pick one up. It also has the split dropout so you can run a belt drive. Sawyer Pic

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast