Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#753 ·
Anyone here having any issues with frame flex?

I've recently gone to single speed on mine, the chainline is dead on

I have to tension the chain to the point that it's tough to spin when I'm not on the bike to keep the chain from falling off the cog

keep in mind I'm a portly fellow at 260ish lbs ;)

I'm running 35x20 right now so plenty of chain engagement

#757 ·
Just went through the entire Sawyer thread here... They only made this bike for '11 & '12, correct? I picked up a '12 recently, but really haven't had a chance to get it out much yet... hoping to do so soon. I did convert it to S/S. As it's not my only bike, and I didn't need it to be my "do everything" bike, to me S/S was the only way to go... I'm definitely digging the classic color scheme of my '12. The gold accents go well with the rootbeer'ish metal-flake paint. I plan to re-lace the gold rims to some nicer hubs... maybe gunmetal grey Hopes... anyway... looking forward to getting some dirt on her! Nice rides on here guys! Cheers!

#759 · (Edited)
New to Thread/New Sawyer

I found a 2011 closeout at $599 at a local shop, I offered 500cash on the spot, we settled at $529 (his cost i think) and i took the Sawyer home. This was after just buying a Scratch 9 earlier in the season, but i couldn't pass up the deal on this beauty and my first 29er.

So far I've put Racelite riserbars on then switched back to the crivitz due to some weird numbness. Got some Time X-Roc pedals on. And this winter i've gone to a raceface 34t single on the front to ditch the derailleur and installed Aligator wind-cutter rotors.

I'll post some more pics when it finally stops raining.

Awesome Thread! :thumbsup:

Attachments

#760 ·
I've been following this thread for a long time and actually had money at a LBS to hold a Sawyer for me, then things changed and I went a different direction. Now I'm back on with a new plan and I need to pick up a Sawyer to make my plan work.

Does anyone have a 21" Sawyer, frame or whole bike, they want to sell?

#764 ·
Good Rigid Fork Option

Thought I'd post about a fork option I recently tried. OSbikes has a 475mm / 51mm offset chromo fork they sell. That's almost identical to the Sawyer fork geometry (I measured the stock fork at 472mm long and Trek claims an offset of 51mm as well). The OSbikes fork is a curved design and is thinner and lighter than the stock fork. I took a quick spin on pavement and I can say it definitely rides nicer than the stock fork. I always felt like this bike had a great ride, but even with my 2.35" Tubeless Big Apple tires I always felt like the fork was too harsh and didn't match the ride characteristics of the rest of the bike. This fork solves that in a hurry.

Aesthetically I think it's a good match to the Sawyer. The OSbikes fork comes with a cool three-color paint job that doesn't so much match the Sawyer... so I got some paint that is close and re-shot the fork. The camera flash makes the color match look worse than it is. In person it looks pretty good. Once I get a good coat of dust and dirt on it I'm sure it'll be fine. The only thing this fork doesn't have that the Sawyer fork has is fender mounts. I'll figure out a way around that and post pics back up when I get the fender on.

This is not only a good option for this bike but for anyone running a Gary Fisher offset bike that wants to go rigid. It is the only stock fork I'm aware of with the 51mm offset. Also note this fork is available in 455 and 445 mm lenghts as well... but the 475mm is obviously the closest to the stock dimensions. Here are some pics:

Wood Hardwood Line Wood stain Metal
Wood Line Musical instrument accessory Hardwood Metal
Line Hardwood Bicycle part Composite material Metal
Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle frame

#765 ·
Looking to get some perspective from current or previous owners of the Sawyer.

One of my LBS currently have a new, old stock 2011 Sawyer available. They have it currently listed at a shade over $800. For those who have owned one of these, would this figure be a bit more than what you'd be willing to pay for a bike that's two model years old by now? If so, what would you be comfortable purchasing this bike at?

I'm intrigued by this bike given the different set-ups it would allow me but at it's current price point here I don't know if I can justify paying slightly less over going with a new '13 Kona Unit from my go-to LBS. Any thoughts on this would be helpful. Thanks!

#766 ·
I paid a tad more than that out the door around 4 months ago. The frame obviously is what makes the bike desireable. Go for it, I really enjoy my Sawyer. With a seat bag and two water bottles it's a tank , but handles nicely on the trail. I've changed out most of the components to suit my needs.

#767 ·
Ended up pulling the trigger on it. Walked out of the store with it for even less than I thought. Love the potential for versatility on this bike. Have a few things already on the way for it to be a 1x9 as well as a single speed. Can't wait to get more time on the saddle in it. Quick pictures of immediately taking it out of the truck from the LBS.

#768 ·
Guys,
We all knew the Sawyer is a cool frame. Check out the fitment of the new Knard 3.0 tire. Just picked up for another frame I am building. Thought I'd try on the Sawyer. There is clearance. But these are stock wheels. I'm building up Blunt 35's this next week... Well see if they still maintain clearance.

This would be awesome if it works.

Attachments

#775 ·
I'll put more info/pics up soon from my pc. I honestly haven't logged into mtbr for several years & only very recently began following threads on my smartphone..so bear with me. Typing this on a phone sucks.

We mocked up the setup yeasterday & got it to fit, which I wanted to verify before I threw down the money for the tires. I'll bring the bike home tonight to finish setting it up, take a shakedown ride & get pics.

The chain rubs the tire on the little ring & top 4 cogs. I'll probably just run it 1x9, or just be very conscious of my gear selection. I also need to do a minor reroute on the front brake line. And, like I said above, you need to slide the rear dropouts all the way back.

Stay tuned.

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.