Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#722 ·
Here's an interesting example.... I can't claim this as mine, but it belongs to a buddy of mine that owns my LBS... He built it up as interesting as possible and just uses it to run errands .. Custom powder coated, belt drive, internally geared rear hub, Chris King, Thomson, Custom colored Stan's rim graphics, etc.. He doesn't half ass anything...

I had been waiting to snap a pic and figured I would share.

Enjoy!

#723 ·
Here's an interesting example.... I can't claim this as mine, but it belongs to a buddy of mine that owns my LBS... He built it up as interesting as possible and just uses it to run errands .. Custom powder coated, belt drive, internally geared rear hub, Chris King, Thomson, Custom colored Stan's rim graphics, etc.. He doesn't half ass anything...

I had been waiting to snap a pic and figured I would share.

Enjoy!

That is the sportiest one I've seen yet. Can ask your buddy why he ran his gear cable down under the bottom bracket? I will be installing 11 spd alfine soon & would like to run that cable up the seat stay.

#727 · (Edited)
Does anyone here run a cadence/speed sensor on their sawyer?

the chainstay is so close to the crank that the magnet on the back of the crank arm doesn't clear

I have not tried placing the magnet on the side of the crank arm, not sure if it will work with the magnets perpendicular to each other but this may work as they are very close together anyways

any other ideas besides making a bracket of some sort?

#741 ·
Working on a winter project here....

What's the fattest tire anyone has run on the rear of their sawyer?

for me it's a bontrager FR3 2.35 but I want something with more volume even if I have to slide the dropouts most of the way back

#753 ·
Anyone here having any issues with frame flex?

I've recently gone to single speed on mine, the chainline is dead on

I have to tension the chain to the point that it's tough to spin when I'm not on the bike to keep the chain from falling off the cog

keep in mind I'm a portly fellow at 260ish lbs ;)

I'm running 35x20 right now so plenty of chain engagement

#757 ·
Just went through the entire Sawyer thread here... They only made this bike for '11 & '12, correct? I picked up a '12 recently, but really haven't had a chance to get it out much yet... hoping to do so soon. I did convert it to S/S. As it's not my only bike, and I didn't need it to be my "do everything" bike, to me S/S was the only way to go... I'm definitely digging the classic color scheme of my '12. The gold accents go well with the rootbeer'ish metal-flake paint. I plan to re-lace the gold rims to some nicer hubs... maybe gunmetal grey Hopes... anyway... looking forward to getting some dirt on her! Nice rides on here guys! Cheers!

#759 · (Edited)
New to Thread/New Sawyer

I found a 2011 closeout at $599 at a local shop, I offered 500cash on the spot, we settled at $529 (his cost i think) and i took the Sawyer home. This was after just buying a Scratch 9 earlier in the season, but i couldn't pass up the deal on this beauty and my first 29er.

So far I've put Racelite riserbars on then switched back to the crivitz due to some weird numbness. Got some Time X-Roc pedals on. And this winter i've gone to a raceface 34t single on the front to ditch the derailleur and installed Aligator wind-cutter rotors.

I'll post some more pics when it finally stops raining.

Awesome Thread! :thumbsup:

Attachments

#760 ·
I've been following this thread for a long time and actually had money at a LBS to hold a Sawyer for me, then things changed and I went a different direction. Now I'm back on with a new plan and I need to pick up a Sawyer to make my plan work.

Does anyone have a 21" Sawyer, frame or whole bike, they want to sell?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.