Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#686 ·
has anyone had any phantom shifting issues?

if I apply too much torque from a stop sign mine has been jumping like crazy, put me on my ass once this weekend as it dropped the chain off the front ring due to the rear shifting to the smaller cog

#688 ·
I have difficulties sourcing a 2012 Sawyer 17.5" here in South Africa from local distributors and dealers. Information on anyone I can perhaps get in contact with who does have stock will be greatly appreciated.
You guys are really lucky to own one of these beautiful machines!

#690 ·
I have a friend who visits the states regularly, if you see a 2012 Sawyer 17.5" or know of one sitting in a bike shop somewhere, a warehouse or somewhere in a darkNdusty room, please mail me. I know of only one in in South Africa which is the 2011 model.

Sorry, can't post a pic, my post count is less than 10 :madman:

Ooo, I see I can attach it :D

Attachments

#697 ·
I borrowed a Sawyer and took it on a 40km ride of trails and road. It's definitely heavy, and slow to accelerate, but once you're up to speed its amazing! Feels almost like a motorcycle. I did a lot of hill bombing on the road, it seems like that's what its made for.

#698 ·
Bought a 2012 21-Inch

I heard that the Sawyer was not being produced for 2013, so I went-ahead and ordered one. I really didn't want to spend that kind of cash sight-unseen, but the thing looks so darn good in the pictures and most of the posts on this forum are positive. A week later, I received my bronze 21-inch-frame $1400 bicycle.

My first impression was that it looked awful small for a 29er. It looks like a 26er next to my Wahoo. Also, I had asked for a flat grey one, but it came in bronze, which was actually a pleasant surprise. They ain't making no more, so I'll take what I can get.

I hefted it, and was surprised that it weighed so little. I had heard all kinds of speculative horror about the steel frame, but it just wasn't that bad at all. If you're the type to count ounces, it might actually be heavy. But I weigh 225Lbs. and the bike's weight seems negligible. It must be within a pound or two of my Wahoo, so it's acceptable. It's noticeably heavier than my fifteen-year-old old Cannondale M400 solid-suspension, aluminum-frame job.

The bike is gorgeous. It's really just stunning. Dark grey-bronze with bronze fittings all over the place. This is definitely one to hang on the wall between rides, not hide in the garage or shed. Those fat Bontragers with the tall sidewalls are the coolest tires I've owned since I bought my Harley Sportster (yeah, I guess I tend to select form over function). The contrasting shades of bronze and the black accents make this thing into a liquid-metal Terminator beauty.

I had the dealer replace the Prestos with Schraders, install thorn-resistant tubes, and slime the hell outta the tubes. I also ordered a quick-release for the seat. The frame has two sets (four) braze-ons/attachments/whatever. The pedals are typically Trek-tiny. There are a few too many stickers on the frame, polluting the dynamite aesthetics.

I'll probably play-around with the position of the bars, or maybe replace them. I also think I'll install a third, larger sprocket in the front. I ride on the street an awful lot. Just like Nordic skiing is a way for Swedish businessmen to get to work, MTB is a way to get around New Mexico, not something you drive 400 miles to do for the weekend.

Riding it on the street is a little disappointing. With two tiny sprockets in the front and ten in the back, you really need to build some revs to achieve any speed. Sorry I don't have the exact sprocket-sizes handy. I had to force it to wheelie, that front rim acted glued to the pavement. This may also have been an effect of the low position of the bars.

On a typical New Mexico gravel road, the bike soared. I lowered the seat a little below the standard recommendation and just slammed down a dirt road for about ten miles. No squeaks, no flexing, just solid transfer of my pumping power into motion.

I dislike the shifter, just 'cause I have two handles on each side, and one upshifts and the other downshifts and the big one upshifts on one side and downshifts on the other and -- man, it's just not instinctual/obvious/whatever.

The brakes never once grabbed, they just rolled me to a stop, smoothly and silently. Like most bikes, the seat is a little too small. I don't know why these things are so tiny. Even teeny little 90-pound women complain about them. For whom the hell are they designing those things?

One thing that kinda threw me was the lack of any owner's manual, warranty card, specification sheet, anything. I dropped-by the dealer's and asked about it, they gave me a handsome little folder with a CD, but it turned-out to be for the 2009 line of bikes. I would have thought Trek would at least hand-out one of those, "Tell us and the telemarketers all about yourself" cards. So I went online and registered.

So is it worth $1400. Buy it now or forget about it. I saw an ad online from Chicago for $800. anyway, I dunno. It's sweet to ride, but not incredible. It is incredibly beautiful, but I can't see it when I'm riding it. I really don't enjoy suspensions, so it's worth it for that. I guess it's like a beautiful, high-maintenance girlfriend; how much are you willing to spend to ride it?

#704 ·
suposed to be more a tribute to the original fisher klunkers that they built back in the 70's using old classic schwinns and such... they sold a "klunker" bike in the mid 90's durring MTB hayday... the sawyer was just sort of another tribute in 29er format

#712 ·
Any idea if the Sawyer has the clearance to run a 42T or 46T Gates CenterTrack on the front? I am really intrigued by this bike and the future possibility of running an Alfine 11 Di2 on it. Also, if anyone has feedback on this bike as a do all Adventure/Gravel bike, I certainly would appreciate the insight.

#715 ·
Hey guys, any suggestions on alternative handlebars? Guess I could go with regular risers, just wondering what if anything others have swapped out.

The stock bars are ok but too wide for my taste and I'd like to have more hand positions ( I do a lot of gravel / fire road riding).
I do a lot of road riding with mine as well, I find the crivitz bars to be more comfortable than normal risers but I do have some tingling in my hands at times, I just installed some new ergon grips to see how that goes

I also have a set of bar ends installed to the inside of the brake levers which gives me a far forward position that I use occasionally, I would use it more if it was a fuzz wider, I have not tried putting the bar ends inside of the shifters and brakes, I have big hands so maybe that's an option

I think trekking bars would be a good option as well and may look good on the sawyer wrapped in some leather colored tape

#717 ·
I thought the Crivitz were alright but knew I would like what I had on my Kona hybrid better. Found these Metropolis in black and had to get em. I think the Crivitz are 25 degree and Metropolis is 45 degree plus you can move your hands closer toward the center. I've seen a couple of pics of them flipped for going low.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.