Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#625 ·
I just coverted myself and am running 32x19 for the small rolling hills in central NC. I've only got a couple rides in so far but it seems to work pretty well though I do spin out a bit on pavement sections. I'm guessing a 32x18 would probably be better for flatter midwest riding.

#627 · (Edited)
So, the sawyer has seen a few changes since the last time I posted pictures.

Changed the wheels to a DT Swiss front hub w/ 9mm through laced to a salsa gordo rim, rear hub is a SS chub hub laced to a gordo as well. Went tubeless w/ the Hans dampf trail star front / pace star rear. (the sliders are pretty far forward and clearance is tight)

Straitline Amp pedals and added a red ano hbc 32t chainring.

Titanium handlebar w/ 17* sweep and a specialized stem 75mm 16* rise. Thomson 350mm seat post, need to find a Ti layback soon and it should be complete. :skep:

Total weight on a park scale: 29.3lbs :eekster:

#629 ·
depends on what rims you've got... the dusters are 28mm OD wide the mustangs are a little narrower as I recall... you want a tire at least 4mm wider as I recall is the rule of thumb... but that is a minimum.

take a look at "width consideration"
Tire Sizing Systems

for what it's worth i've got some 700x38's and happy with the size... but i'd consider 700x32 next time around

#632 ·
I mounted 700x35 this weekend, works good and leaves a little overlap

from reviewing previous posts (note I did not measure for myself) the duster rim is 24mm inside 28mm outside so you might be able to go as low as 28-30 but I have not tried it, I just went with what the shop had a plentiful supply of

#631 · (Edited)
I have my Sawyer almost done. (Will post pics when I have the last part on - Chris King Headset).
Here is the list:
Thompson lead back seat post
Thompson stem
Stan rims, DT Spokes, GEAX Saguaro 29 rubber, (tubes)
New style Surly Black Hubs
Avid BB7 Brakes, 180 front and 150 rear rotors
Paul Black brake levers
White single speed free wheel
The crank that came with the frame :(
Salsa Pro Moto 2 handle bars
Salsa seat post colar.
Brooks B15 antique brown saddle
Portland Desing Whiskey dark brown grips.
The Chris King headset will Brown with the dark script.
Gearing is 34 x 18

Love the brakes (my first of mechicals).

#634 ·
@Titan & GTR-33, wow guys thanks much for the replies!

I'm currently using the Schwalbe Big A (2.35) and it's really a pain taking it on hills (as it's a single speed belt drive 39/24). I was thinking of putting the Alfine 11 IGH coupled with skinnier 35 or 38 tires so as to trim down the weight a lil bit (the IGH is an added load to the bike though).

hava nice bike season everyone!

#635 ·
geared hub is added weight but it's at the center of the hub so it's not serious rotational weight... skinny tires tend to weigh a lot less and it's out at the end of the rotation so it's the worst of the worst for rotational weight :(

#636 ·
I found a 2011 Sawyer at a local big box retailer...for $649. Normally I'd stew over buying a new bike, but I gladly plunked down the $$$.

The bike seems big for a 19". Now I'm concerned I needed a bigger size. I've only owned one mountain bike (roadie), and had standard 26 inch wheels.

I'm 6'2" on the nose in the morning, with longer legs than torso....

While this thread is a wealth of info, compared to my front sprong 2001 Raleigh, the bike rides great.

#639 ·
Sweet Deal.
I am your height and have a 19inch 29er. I use a 410mm seat post so I have a lot of post in the frame. With a std length post I was close to the min insertion line.

#650 ·
I found a deal on a 2011 Sawyer, but I've read that the Sawyer will only accept a 46t Center Track pulley in the front. Does anybody know if the Sawyer has enough chainstay clearance to use the 50t pulley, or maybe even the 55t pulley? I ask because besides single track, I grind alot a gravel and ride some payment during the week.

#665 ·
I'm in . . .

Just bought 2011 Sawyer . . . brand new complete bike for $800 on clearance blowout. I've wanted one for a long time, but never could make it happen. Well, no more. It's completely stock (you know what it looks like, so no pic) and will be probably live a life on the pavement and beach path. I've already got plans for an Alfine belt drive though, and if I found a killer deal on a suspension fork, well you never know!

Can someone give me some tips on how to adjust the dropouts though? The rear wheel is off center.

Also, where do I get info on converting to belt drive? Do I need to get a different rear hub, or will the stock hub take a rear belt cog?

#666 ·
Just bought 2011 Sawyer . . . brand new complete bike for $800 on clearance blowout. I've wanted one for a long time, but never could make it happen. Well, no more. It's completely stock (you know what it looks like, so no pic) and will be probably live a life on the pavement and beach path. I've already got plans for an Alfine belt drive though, and if I found a killer deal on a suspension fork, well you never know!

Can someone give me some tips on how to adjust the dropouts though? The rear wheel is off center.

Also, where do I get info on converting to belt drive? Do I need to get a different rear hub, or will the stock hub take a rear belt cog?
That's a good deal. I got mine for $1100 out the door in Rancho Cucamonga.
What shop did you pick yours up at?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.