Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#595 ·
Blue Sawyer!

Yea!!! I made a few more posts so I could add pics of my new powder coated Sawyer. It's tough to tell in these photos, but it's a dual stage powder coat and really changes depending on lighting. In shadows, it's a grayish blue, but in direct sunlight it's nice deep blue with lots of metal flake. Hope the photos show some of this.

#596 ·
Yea!!! I made a few more posts so I could add pics of my new powder coated Sawyer. It's tough to tell in these photos, but it's a dual stage powder coat and really changes depending on lighting. In shadows, it's a grayish blue, but in direct sunlight it's nice deep blue with lots of metal flake. Hope the photos show some of this.

It's hard to tell from the lighting what the fade looks like. But, it really doesn't matter. That frame looks great. I can't wait to see the finished project. Good luck

#606 ·
depending on what year... '11 had bonty dusters.
the duster rims should be failry stout... they aren't the strongest out there but i've seen good reports even for clyds... and the big hub flanges should help... i'd bet having the shop re-tension the spokes could help a lot

for the mustangs on the '12 model I don't know... they are a narrower but I don't know much about em.

#608 ·
So, here's an off (spelled s-t-u-p-i-d) question that may be better placed in the frame-building forum:

Structurally, what does the single, lower top tube actually accomplish? Could it be removed to drop some weight? Not that I'm planning on it (or that I even own a Sawyer at the moment), but I'm curious...

#609 ·
Nah, it's a good question.

So the Sawyer is a retro throwback to the old cruisers originally converted to clunkers. The reason that old cruisers had the three bar and also double top tubes was to make it structurally sounder. The original steel used wasn't very good and would bend easily and flex too much. The double top tube and third bar stiffened the frames and made them stronger.

There's a weight penalty though, even though the double top tube and third bar do allow you to use thinner tubing and retain the same strength..

#621 ·
I'm building up my first 29er. It is a Trek Sawyer and will be a single speed. Any suggestions on gear set up. I live and ride in the midwest. Mostly flatter off road, low angle climbing, xc. Any suggestions on front and back?

Thanks,

GTTR
I started 32 x 20, after one season went to 32 x 19 and now use 32 x 18. I tried going from 20 direct to 18 but needed the transition gear to get comfortable.

Riding pretty flat S. Ontario and some hillier Michigan terrain.

#623 ·
With the 32 x 18 I'm spinning out in a sprint at about 32 km/h and can turn a very comfortable 22-23 km/h on the trail. I can also make it up 99% of the climbs I routinely ride.

If you have a good 26" gear then use an online calculator to find the equivalent 29" wheel gear inches.

#625 ·
I just coverted myself and am running 32x19 for the small rolling hills in central NC. I've only got a couple rides in so far but it seems to work pretty well though I do spin out a bit on pavement sections. I'm guessing a 32x18 would probably be better for flatter midwest riding.

#632 ·
I mounted 700x35 this weekend, works good and leaves a little overlap

from reviewing previous posts (note I did not measure for myself) the duster rim is 24mm inside 28mm outside so you might be able to go as low as 28-30 but I have not tried it, I just went with what the shop had a plentiful supply of

#631 · (Edited)
I have my Sawyer almost done. (Will post pics when I have the last part on - Chris King Headset).
Here is the list:
Thompson lead back seat post
Thompson stem
Stan rims, DT Spokes, GEAX Saguaro 29 rubber, (tubes)
New style Surly Black Hubs
Avid BB7 Brakes, 180 front and 150 rear rotors
Paul Black brake levers
White single speed free wheel
The crank that came with the frame :(
Salsa Pro Moto 2 handle bars
Salsa seat post colar.
Brooks B15 antique brown saddle
Portland Desing Whiskey dark brown grips.
The Chris King headset will Brown with the dark script.
Gearing is 34 x 18

Love the brakes (my first of mechicals).

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.