Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#474 ·
Gentlemen,

may I introduce you to the one and only Bavarian Sawyer? I found it all alone in the Munich Trek store – and now we spend our time together on the scenic river Isar trails and in the Bavarian Alps. I'm so happy with this bike :thumbsup:

Mods so far: Brooks B 17 aged, Wellgo retro flat pedals, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 (rear) and 2.4 (front).

Best wishes and marry Christmas from Munich!

Sentilo

P.S.: These curious stone sculptures at the banks of the river Isar are so called "Steinmandl“ ...

Attachments

#479 ·
For the seat post I used some carbon paste (it has little grit in it that help slippage more than just grease) and got a better clamp than was shipped with the bike (a Salsa Liplock bolt-on). No more problems, and I'm a Clyde++.

#481 ·
Cross posted this earlier but not too many responses.

This is for all you actual Sawyer owners. Now that you've accumulated some time in the saddle how do you like the bike? I've seen some in person but never had any actual riding time on one. Is it a real MTB or a cruiser? Could you use it as your only bike? I'm looking at buying a new bike. This is on my short list.

#483 · (Edited)
Is it a real MTB or a cruiser? Could you use it as your only bike?
It's a real MTB, in my opinion, and it's my only bike now. I've sold my full suspension and my cross bike, because I don't like them any more. On a rigid bike like the Sawyer you have to ride more precisely on technical trails, and surely slower, but you can go everywhere. I live in Bavaria, the Alps are near, and I often spend my weekends in the Tegernsee area. There are lots of alpine trails, and I love to ride them on my Sawyer. I'm not in a race, so time is not important. I enjoy the old fashioned rigid riding. But in my brooks saddle, and with the big wheel advantages in general, it is much more comfortable than e.g. my first Yeti Pro FRO (remember Accutrax?),

For me, the Sawyer is "back to the roots" of mountain biking, and I like these roots.:thumbsup:

#487 ·
As a Clydesdale++, it's a bit too flexy to become my default bike (especially the front fork from side-to-side, it twists around a lot). I'm a good bit over 200 though, and bikes with tapered head tubes and super rigid hydroforming were practically built for me. So if you're right on the edge of the Clyde scale, it should be fine.

I do like the ride though. Super stable at speed, and maneuverable enough in the slow stuff to be quite a bit of fun, even if you can't really call it 'flick-worthy'. I'd call it a bike you carve in.

#488 ·
As a Clydesdale++, it's a bit too flexy to become my default bike (especially the front fork from side-to-side, it twists around a lot). I'm a good bit over 200 though, and bikes with tapered head tubes and super rigid hydroforming were practically built for me. So if you're right on the edge of the Clyde scale, it should be fine.
About 5' 9" and 140lbs.Usually bikes aren't too stiff for me.

#489 ·
I'm 200# and I found the Sawyer to be flexy, most noticeable on the twisty, rooty downhills and rocks that are typical in the Mid-Atlantic area. Switching the stock fork to a Niner Carbon stiffened up the front end a bit, but my El Mari with CroMoto steel fork is much stiffer, much more predicable, and much more fun to ride. You can certainly bomb down technical singletrack with the Sawyer, it will handle it.

I liked the Sawyer for cruising the streets with a little bit of non-tech double and singletrack thrown in, but you can do that with just about any bike. It's hard to find one bike that will do everything well.

#494 ·
I'm curious if anyone has actually picked at a 2012 model yet? Our local Trek store has the 2011 on closeout for $961 but I can't get past the color or the component choices.

I love the color and look of the 2012 model and I believe the drivetrain is better for it, but I am wondering if there are any other changes to the model that may make it worth $500 over a closeout?

#495 ·
Look at the specs on the Trek website, they've changed only a few parts. Here in D the offical price is 1399 Euro for the 2012 Sawyer, last year it costs 1499. So I think, it's not an upgrade to more quality components.

I've compared the 2012 to my 2011 version at my LBS, because my wife wants a Sawyer, too. The new colour scheme is beautiful (in my wife's opinion), but the battleship grey of the 2011 is a nice understatement (in my opinion) and can easily be pimped with coloured parts and details, as you can see in pics above,

So I would say: Save the money and take the first edition 2011.

#497 ·
I haven’t seen the 2012 version in person, but comparing the specs it looks like the only changes are (2012 v. 2011):

Mustang v. Duster rims
S1000 v. Firex crank
Elixir 1 v. Juicy 3 brakes
10 speed v. 9 speed

The components are more-or-less the same between the two years, so the only real difference is 10-speed v. 9-speed. The 2x10 gives you a good bit more “top end” than the 2x9, but you could sell/trade the 9-speed drivetrain and upgrade for much less than $500 if that was important to you. Other than that, it pretty much comes down to the paint.

If it were my decision, I’d buy the 2011 model, save $500 and learn to like the paint job.

#501 · (Edited)
Just built mine up a few days ago... I really like it so far

2011 Sawyer frame and fork, 19''
Crane Creek 40 headset
RXL stem
Crivitz bar
Avid Elixir 5's
SLX crank
Face Face 38tooth front ring
New Bontrager Rhythm Pro seatpost
Bontrager RL Evoke, hollow ti rails
Fisher FCC front hub, RL Rim
Bontrager Rhythm Elite(DT370) rear hub, RL rim
Bontrager 29.1 tires 2.00 team issue

It's a tank at 25.5lbs, but I can't wait to get some more miles on it.

At home is Madison, WI....

#502 ·
I got to my Trek store today. They have 2 of the 19 inch 2011 Sawyers left in stock at that $961 price. I must say that the color is a lot nicer in person than in pictures.

Some things I noted. 1) Picking it up it did not feel as heavy as i might have thought given its official weight. 2) The brakes are terrible. I did rolling stops in the shop and they barely stopped me.

The issue now is that when I was ready to buy the stop was closed for a refit. In the meantime I spent a $1000 on a used cross bike. I can't afford another grand right now so i will have to wait. I still like the bike. Perhaps by the time I am ready again, the 2012 will be discounted (they would only do the 2012 for list).

#520 ·
Make sure you check the cost of ordering a Sawyer in. The local LBS has a Sawyer they've had for at least a year, won't go any lower since they say it's already below cost. Another LBS was able to order one in for almost $150 less with the 2011 discounts Trek is giving.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.