Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#106 ·
prphoto said:
I don't know bout that but this bike appeals to a lot of people. It looks different than anything else being made by the bigguns in the industry. At this price I predict sell out or hard to find by 4th of July, and a giant photo thread here of all the custom rebuilds.
I keep thinking that the style simply begs for a carbon version complete with lockable "gas tank" for storage. ditch the saddle bag.

my dream bike is a Ti version with a bamboo laminate tank, stainless steel thumb combo lock (briefcase style), teak wood headset with mother of pearl inlay (Cane Creek?)
of course Sterling Silver headset with more mother of pearl inlay

#112 ·
First Flight said:
New spec F-K-R frame that we recently had made. Still working up a parts package for it.

I was originally going with a bright red but Russ at AirArt told me he had a cool "vintage" red that he had been saving. I think he made a great call!

]
that is beautiful! should've done a rigid fork (imo)

#114 ·
absolutely love whatever this is (didn't we see gary straddling this on page #1?)

SelfPropelledDevo said:
I'll toss this in just for sake of draggin this thread
obviously I really like the old school school double top tube style
also, i've been drooling over that retrotec triple for while now. such a beautiful build, imo. it's so classy that it looks as though it's been plucked out of the crested butte mtn bike museum.

for me, the sawyer frame still takes the cake in terms of looks and utility. moreover, i'm lucky that it's the only one that i can afford :thumbsup: Thanks Gary et al!

surprised that nobody has mentioned the McClung's (see thread: My New McClung). they put all of these bikes to shame, imho.

#116 ·
appleSSeed said:
I guess this is great for Trek to be grouped in with all of these custom frames
You get that its a knock-off right?
You get that some people think its overpriced?
You get that it costs a fraction of these other framesets?
So which side of the label snobs you siding with?
Haters gota Hate.

#118 ·
You get that its a knock-off right? All of the custom frames are knock off's too, by your definition.
You get that some people think its overpriced? Yes.
You get that it costs a fraction of these other framesets? Yes.
So which side of the label snobs you siding with? I'm on the side that doesn't give a damn about labels anymore. I had an original campstove green Karate Monkey and then I paid out the yang for a custom filet brazed Wily. Both were great bikes. My new bike will be the one that fits my budget and my body.

Haters gota Hate. I gotsta hate on your spelling of gotta. Boyeeeeee! :p

#122 ·
appleSSeed said:
You get that its a knock-off right? All of the custom frames are knock off's too, by your definition.
You get that some people think its overpriced? Yes.
You get that it costs a fraction of these other framesets? Yes.
So which side of the label snobs you siding with? I'm on the side that doesn't give a damn about labels anymore. I had an original campstove green Karate Monkey and then I paid out the yang for a custom filet brazed Wily. Both were great bikes. My new bike will be the one that fits my budget and my body.

Haters gota Hate. I gotsta hate on your spelling of gotta. Boyeeeeee! :p
Pardon me for my flippant response, you are a man who shares a taste for the finer things in bike, and you have covered the bases in labelry, by knockoff i mean a cheap copy without all the fine finish details and custom geo"s.
And in this respect thats the sawyer.
But I get you, life is short if you want a klunker there is an able group of bike builders who awake your phone call. and if if you want no frills, surely surly fits the bill!

as long as you get my drift please dont spellcheck me, I have a wife already.

#125 ·
personally I kind like to try to point out that...

in large, due to all the awesome parts that are now available, and of course 29ers...

that... uhh... HELLO!

a kick ass custom double top tubed retro style cruiser can be stupid fast
not only in the dirt but on the road.

uhhh...
29x2.0" with 48x11t = about 127 gear inch.
today I rolled out a 45mph descent thru Pebble Beach, in the rain.
hell-a-freaking-cool.
fast enough to be driving the bike... no doubt
fast enough to have to actually think about how you brake and counter steer
but with enough gear inch to actually drive the wheels with some drift

hell-a-fun

and of course, it goes in the dirt
aka: Tour Divide
racks, panniers, fenders, frame bags, blah blah blah...

IMHO: the design begs to be utilized.

I've ran into GF a handful of times, and honestly, I tell him this updated high tech retro approach, has a market. i.e. Ducati and any of the other "modern Cafe" bikes...

I love my Hunter, its totally 100% custom from the exact swoops in the tubes, right down to where and what type of bosses I wanted. All the cables are full length housing, and all point downward from above the bike. The top tube is smooth, nothing to snag on, etc...

the bars, the positioning, the whole thing was thought out. I was riding a Salsa Moto Rapido, screwing around with the fit, and the way to ride it, when after about 2 years, I finally hit Rick Hunter up to build the exact bike I wanted.

the new Sawyer, I think is a rockin bike.
but.. there are some funky aspects to it, it looks cool.
hopefully it will sell
hopefully there will be more of mainstream following

klunkers? well... I'd hope that the genre of the retro cafe/board track bike, would go thru a R&D process, yielding performance bikes. Bikes that can do everything, all you have to do is change the bars to your liking.

when I see Niner producing a 17lbs hardtail... holy crap! I can remember riding a 20lb Concord with Record, and to top it off, it didn't even come close to how well The Hunter rides.
pathetic... i know.

maybe I'm getting old
I'm not into hucking
I'm not even into agro XC stuff, much...
instead I'd rather roll out a bunch of miles.

ya... its about "mixed terrain" <---- funny how everything gets a label

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.