Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#1,141 ·
I've had my Sawyer set up several different ways since I bought it new. Finally have it the way I envisioned it when I bought it, as a rad city cruiser.

Latest changes were a Surly Sunrise bar, bmx stem and 29x2.5" Maxxis Grifter tires.

I'm running 36x16 for gearing. Plan to mostly use it riding around town with my wife and kids. I'll probably end up putting a 15t on the back, but need to find/order one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#293 ·
So I've had my Sawyer a few weeks now. I've done a lot of commuting to work on it on greenways and paved roads, as well as quite a bit of riding on fire roads. And today I finally took it on some rolling singletrack (Lake Crabtree for any Raleigh riders).

As a commuter, it works great but is a little under-geared. I'm debating whether to ditch the bash guard and add a 42 or 44T ring. But I may just keep it like it is and go slower and try to "smell the roses" a little bit more. This bike isn't really about going fast anyway.

It's an absolute blast on fire roads/carriage trails. That 2.3" wide front tire floats over loose, dry sand really well.

This is my first 29er and I'm loving how it rolls over everything. But the lack of front suspension eventually starts to wear on this 41 year old while riding singletrack. After 1.5 hours of riding over roots I was looking forward to the beginner trails and the ride back home through Umstead Park.

It's not the lightest, nimblest, or cheapest ride out there but it's fun and it rides great and I give the bike a hearty 2 thumbs up! I'll post pictures when I get my post count up.

#627 · (Edited)
So, the sawyer has seen a few changes since the last time I posted pictures.

Changed the wheels to a DT Swiss front hub w/ 9mm through laced to a salsa gordo rim, rear hub is a SS chub hub laced to a gordo as well. Went tubeless w/ the Hans dampf trail star front / pace star rear. (the sliders are pretty far forward and clearance is tight)

Straitline Amp pedals and added a red ano hbc 32t chainring.

Titanium handlebar w/ 17* sweep and a specialized stem 75mm 16* rise. Thomson 350mm seat post, need to find a Ti layback soon and it should be complete. :skep:

Total weight on a park scale: 29.3lbs :eekster:

#629 ·
depends on what rims you've got... the dusters are 28mm OD wide the mustangs are a little narrower as I recall... you want a tire at least 4mm wider as I recall is the rule of thumb... but that is a minimum.

take a look at "width consideration"
Tire Sizing Systems

for what it's worth i've got some 700x38's and happy with the size... but i'd consider 700x32 next time around

#707 ·
The Bicycle Company, distributors for Trek in South Africa, was able to source me a 2012 Sawyer which I believe is the only one SA was able to get.Happy to report that it's mine mine mine mine :D

I fitted the Gates CenterTrack and someone mentioned on thehubsa.co.za - Cycling forums and bicycle classifieds that the belt drive does not generate the same torque and power transfer as a chain. I'm no engineer or expert, but out of interest sake is this true?

Attachments

#708 ·
TI fitted the Gates CenterTrack and someone mentioned on thehubsa.co.za - Cycling forums and bicycle classifieds that the belt drive does not generate the same torque and power transfer as a chain. I'm no engineer or expert, but out of interest sake is this true?
I'm not an expert in belt drives, but this would imply that the belt stretches in response to applied torque, which I do not believe to be the case. I've never heard that before. Ask the guys at Gate's . . . they are super helpful. :thumbsup:

#732 ·
I picked up a Sawyer with the intentions of using it as a commuter. Many zip ties were harmed in the mounting of the fenders. Next up is to figure out how to fit a rack to it.
Finally a drop bar sawyer, HOT! How's it ride in the drops? :thumbsup:

Does anyone here run a cadence/speed sensor on their sawyer?

the chainstay is so close to the crank that the magnet on the back of the crank arm doesn't clear

I have not tried placing the magnet on the side of the crank arm, not sure if it will work with the magnets perpendicular to each other but this may work as they are very close together anyways

any other ideas besides making a bracket of some sort?
so yeah, this can work, but don't trust your LBS to have centered your rear wheel in the frame, that's why it didn't fit, tire was hugging the non-drive chainstay

I did however have to move it as far towards the bracket as the speed sensor would allow to clear the chainstay, good thing the stock crank arm has a hollow back to recess the cadence magnet into :D

#853 ·
Sawyer Kid Hauler / Townie Build -

This is my Sawyer hauler townie bike. Caramba Cranks, big mustache bars, white brothers fork to lighten it up a bit, and a nicely integrated Chariot hitch.

I haven't had any issues with the hitch set up, and the 40MM rubber with the liberator touring saddle makes this an ultra plush ride.

Last photo is from our trip to the Minnesota State Fair Friday -

Bicycle part Bicycle chain Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle drivetrain part Rim
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim Bicycle
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

#937 ·
Gary Fisher Sawyer Completed!

Here it is! Finally all done! It's going to remain a Gary Fisher like he intended. 1969 Chevrolet truck paint.

Build list:
Frame: 2011 Trek Sawyer (Gary Fisher Collection)
Fork: 2010 Cannondale Lefty 90mm PBR Project 321 adaptor
Headset: Cane Creek 40 w/ Niner YAWD top cap
Stem: RXL 90
Bars: Bontrager RL 720 15mm Rise / Bontrager Crivitz
Grips: Ergon Biokork (RH cut and shaped for gripshift)
Seat: WTB SST
Brakes: Hope Tech 3 X2 160f/140r
Shifters: SRAM X0 Twist 10 Speed
Cassette: SRAM 1070 11-36 with Hope T-Rex 40t Expander
Chain: SRAM 1090
Front Der: None
Rear Der. SRAM X9 Type 2 short cage
Cranks: e*thirteen XCX
Chainring: 34t Wolf Tooth Components
Wheels: Velocity Blunt in Teak Hope rear/Lefty SL front
Pedals: Crank Bros Eggbeater 3s
Tires: 2.25 Onza Canis skinwall
Bits: Dimension woodgrain cages and seatpost clamp

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Green Bicycle part
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Tire Bicycle Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Land vehicle
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Spoke
Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

#1,123 ·
Hey all! Coming in late, but glad there's a good Sawyer thread to chime in on!

I'm actually looking to get rid of my wife's Trek Sawyer. It's a Medium (17.5") and because it's such a sweet frame, I'm now on the hunt for a 21" for myself!

Anyone in the market for a 17.5, and/or looking to let go of a 21"?

#1,124 ·
Hey all! Coming in late, but glad there's a good Sawyer thread to chime in on!

I'm actually looking to get rid of my wife's Trek Sawyer. It's a Medium (17.5") and because it's such a sweet frame, I'm now on the hunt for a 21" for myself!

Anyone in the market for a 17.5, and/or looking to let go of a 21"?
I might be interested in your 17.5 Sawyer. What are you asking for it and where are you located?

Thanks
Steve Carter

#4 ·
LBIkid said:
IMO, it looks really sweet - I love the double top tubes from an aesthetic point of view. Would like to see some geo. numbers on it though.
Geometry for all the Trek Fisher Collection bikes is on the website. ;)

The bike is suspension corrected for 80mm travel, is a double butted "Platinum Series" ChroMoly, and will not be offered as a frame set initially, but might be down the road.

There are only a few pre-production units floating around right now, so no Sawyers out on the trails yet. I wouldn't expect to see anything for sale until after August.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.