Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Trek Sawyer

434K views 1K replies 291 participants last post by  Co-opski 
#1 ·
Seriously considering one, however, I wish I could learn more about it before I throw down a deposit on one. Has anyone heard any gossip about this bike? What assumptions can you extrapolate from the info that's already out there (see trek's website)?

It look's heavy but maybe all the extra tubes are throwing my off. Will it be vertically compliant and laterally stiff? for some reason it looks like it would be a little noodlish to me but I just don't have a ton of experience (only been in the game for 1.5 yrs).

#179 ·
Got mine yesterday...

I got mine yesterday....19". Built it up with all the parts I had on my 2009 Superfly HT. I plan to put a different seatpost on and I would like to try out the Crivitz handlebar but for ease of build, I just through on everything I had as it was. As it sits, with the low-end\ancient SPD pedals, it sits at 27.5lbs. I will try to trail-test it tonight...if I can get there before the rains move in.

Attachments

#181 ·
Sawyer order???

I was at a local bike shop the other day and asked about delivery time....the warehouse in Ca. had seven of the 17" bikes in stock. I would be able to get one by next week, I am surprised to here this as most people who already ordered are still waiting. I held back my wallet for now!!!! The bikes look great so far but lets see the belt drives!!! RRR

#182 ·
I'll post up some pics if I can get the belt drive going. The boss told me that he was not able to get the belt line working at all. When he got the front ring in line, it hit the chainstay. He also mentioned that when he got the ring away from the stay, that the cog rubbed on the derailleur hanger. So far, there is no SS only right dropout, so we may just have to cut the hanger off.

#184 ·
Got mine last week. Hated the handlebars...thought they were ridiculous...and replaced them with a flat bar of similar width. Other than that I like it a lot. It looks cool and is very comfortable. Don't laugh. I use it as my road bike. I had a "dropped bar" bike but I don't like those flimsy things, not to mention I like the option of cutting through a dirt road if I have to.

Speed? It keeps rolling once you get it going even into a stiff breeze. Weight? Who cares? I weigh 230 pounds...the extra eight pounds difference between it and my former Cannondale Synapse is unimportant and I'd rather have the extra bike. I'm taking the Sawyer to Crete this Summer and I want more metal under me.

Not to mention it is a rolling work of art.

My other bike is a Specialzed Enduro SL Comp so you see I like bikes that are a little beefy.

#185 ·
got a test ride in before the ice!

We had some rain that turned to sleet which in turn froze to everything it landed on as the temps went down yesterday afternoon here in Atlanta, so I hauled butt up to Big Creek and got a lap and half in before the pandemonium ensued.

Overall, the bike is awesome although it's disappointingly heavy even with all the light stuff on it. On the trail it rode great....I will have to get used to how the bike hits with a rigid fork vs 100mm of travel like on my two SuperFlys as well as how incredibly heavy it feels going up hill. I didn't sense any 'flex' in the frame...ride quality wise, it was everything I could ask for especially considering I was on about as rocky and rooty a trail I could find in-town. My guess is it will be a little more enjoyable on more flowing trails like Blankets Creek and Chicopee Woods as well as the Pinhote trails all here in Georgia, as well as Tsali up in North Carolina. My main goal was a bike I could kick around on with the kids and occasionally take out this winter on slower 'hang-out' rides....I'll reserve the SuperFlys for the days we plan to 'fly!

Attachments

#189 · (Edited)
Took the Sawyer out to some nearby trails. I'm in Louisiana but it is pretty hilly and rooty where I live. The bike performed well on our usual root-a-palooza. I had to get out of the saddle for a lot for obtacles I don't even notice on my M1 Abrahms Specialized Enduro but it was an enjoyable ride. I haven't ridden a rigid frame since the mid-nineties when I had a Bridgestone MB-4 and it brought back memories. The 29-inch wheels may have a lot to do with it but I was able to clear a lot of stuff I thought would give me more trouble. The frame is very stiff (to me) and I didn't notice any flex in the wheels. There are some advantages to a 30-pound bike. It climbs well with the gear ratios supplied but this may be because it's a rigid bike.

But basicly I'm using it a road bike. I just happened to go by the trail head and couldn't resist.

As far as set-up I have Easton EA70 bars with Specialized Body Geometry grips and their Ergonomic Bar Ends (for climbing and changing hand position). I use the Specialized Expedition Saddle (gigantic with springs and everything) on this bike and all of my bikes for that matter. How you guys can ride those plastic anvils even with padding is beyond me. I have Crank Brother Candy pedals on it and the rest is stock. As I mentioned, the original handlebars are ridiculous and I don't care if Gary fisher picked them out.

I know there are some detractors here but it's a cool bike with a custom look and very nice for those of us who don't want to spend the money for a true custom bike. Pretty fly for a production bike put out by a big company in other words.

My back hurt a little after the ride. I am probably too used to plush full-suspension.

#191 ·
"As I mentioned, the original handlebars are ridiculous and I don't care if Gary fisher picked them out."

I have been using these bars for about a month and they seem to be alright.
My first alt bars.
Care to expound what is the ridiculousity about them?

For those of you who care they are a flat 690mm bar with 25 degree sweep.

see here:

#192 ·
prphoto said:
"As I mentioned, the original handlebars are ridiculous and I don't care if Gary fisher picked them out."

My first alt bars.

see here:
Hand position is awkward, for me anyway. Tried them for a few days hoping I'd like them.

#193 ·
I've been eyeing those bars myself

prphoto said:

My first alt bars.

see here:
I've been running Titec H-Bars, but if I have one criticism of them, it's that they have a bit too much sweep for my tastes.... and they have a weird slight downward angle from the center. These look like a bit less sweep and no down bend from the midde.

IIRC, $60 list price and 280 grams is pretty dang reasonable.

#194 ·
personally I'm using a set of On-One Mary Bars mounted upside down.

the deal with that position is multi faceted
as is the Hunter

that is to say...
the bike is pointed at multi use
and it does all of it quite well...

big huge monkey bars, full suspension, obviously is a single pointed focus on ride technical dirt.

rigid, and funky trippy bars, are about "mixed terrain" <-- dare I say?
aka: fire roads, pavement, pace lines, handle bar bags, and coping with dirt.

those specific bars that are spec'd on the Sawyer, I'm not too sure about.

the deal with any of those sweeping sections is that they need to actually be useful.
I can't see how you'd even mount anything to it. i.e. light

#197 ·
prphoto said:

My first alt bars.

see here:
Other than the fact that they are a copy of the Carnegie's bar, there is nothing "wrong" with them. ;)

#198 ·
The OP's Sawyer

Got my sawyer finally! Immediately stripped her down and threw on all of the parts off my old '08 rig (phil woods hubs, stans flow rims, xdx 2.1 tlr tires (tubeless), mod'd xtr crankset, WI freewheel, thomson post and stem, brooks b17, syntace vector bars, avid juicy carbon hyd. brakes, ergon gp1 grips). Weighed in at 28.6 lbs (stock, with pedals, it weighed 30.4 lbs). I definitely plan on trying the crivitz bars soon.

First time on a G2 geo frame and so far I think I like it, although I couldn't really get an accurate feel for it in these slippery and snowy conditions. Just seems a little more nimble than the rig. the fork on this thing is super raked out and it feels/looks a little funny the first time you hop on it. Frame seems very stiff and I didn't notice any flexing. feels a little heavier compared to my rig but that was expected (weighs 1.8 lbs more). however, the weight gain is offset by the added comfort and joy of steel, imo (my first steel mtn frame!). dropouts are beautifully designed in that you don't need to adjust the brakes when you adjust the chainstay length. in addition, you don't need to adjust the chain stay length when removing or installing the rear wheel. can't wait to hit up some dirt with it!

Attachments

#199 ·
Nice!

tw3nty9er said:
Got my sawyer finally! Immediately stripped her down and threw on all of the parts off my old '08 rig (phil woods hubs, stans flow rims, xdx 2.1 tlr tires (tubeless), mod'd xtr crankset, WI freewheel, thomson post and stem, brooks b17, syntace vector bars, avid juicy carbon hyd. brakes, ergon gp1 grips). Weighed in at 28.6 lbs (stock, with pedals, it weighed 30.4 lbs). I definitely plan on trying the crivitz bars soon.

First time on a G2 geo frame and so far I think I like it, although I couldn't really get an accurate feel for it in these slippery and snowy conditions. Just seems a little more nimble than the rig. the fork on this thing is super raked out and it feels/looks a little funny the first time you hop on it. Frame seems very stiff and I didn't notice any flexing. feels a little heavier compared to my rig but that was expected (weighs 1.8 lbs more). however, the weight gain is offset by the added comfort and joy of steel, imo (my first steel mtn frame!). dropouts are beautifully designed in that you don't need to adjust the brakes when you adjust the chainstay length. in addition, you don't need to adjust the chain stay length when removing or installing the rear wheel. can't wait to hit up some dirt with it!
I especially like the polished silver XTR cranks. Are those M960 series with the 102mm bcd? Did you cut off the spider for the big ring?

#200 ·
"I especially like the polished silver XTR cranks. Are those M960 series with the 102mm bcd? Did you cut off the spider for the big ring?"

thanks! yep, m960. modded them myself with a dremel tool and LOTS of elbow grease. Sometimes I wish I didn't hack off the spider so I could throw on a bash guard. oh well.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.